Yooka-Laylee reviews are coming out and thoughts are ...mixed

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,231
239
68
Silvanus said:
Joccaren said:
I also look forward to you telling someone that a knife isn't sharp, because its pure subjective opinion about that and they should stop complaining that they cut themselves on it. You talk about making common parlance unsustainable, your stance on unbiased information does exactly that.
Which is something I would never do, of course, because something being subjective doesn't stop it being useful information for those involved, as I thought we had already established.

If you think that's my position, you honestly haven't understood it in the slightest.
This, this is what I've been trying to say all along! Thank you, for putting together the right words that I couldn't find. It's the absurdity of this "if I don't find it informative, then it isn't informative to others" stance that I've been pointing out, without success.
 

Joccaren

New member
Mar 29, 2011
2,600
0
0
Silvanus said:
Which is something I would never do, of course, because something being subjective doesn't stop it being useful information for those involved, as I thought we had already established.

If you think that's my position, you honestly haven't understood it in the slightest.
Oh, and I would say "This is hot" about warm bathwater for boiling a kettle?
Yeah, seems legit. You can dish nonsense, but you can't take it. Again, I'm going to echo you, if you think that's my position you honestly haven't understood it in the slightest. Of course, that doesn't surprise me, considering you've consistently missed the main thrust of my arguments to instead argue semantics.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
7,282
2,869
118
Country
United Kingdom
Joccaren said:
Oh, and I would say "This is hot" about warm bathwater for boiling a kettle?
Yeah, seems legit.
And why not? Could the reason be shared understanding of context, which we established has nothing to do with objectivity/ subjectivity?
 

Joccaren

New member
Mar 29, 2011
2,600
0
0
Silvanus said:
Joccaren said:
Oh, and I would say "This is hot" about warm bathwater for boiling a kettle?
Yeah, seems legit.
And why not? Could the reason be shared understanding of context, which we established has nothing to do with objectivity/ subjectivity?
And once again we miss the point of what I've been saying. The irony in your responses is almost funny, if it weren't so sad.

The line at which you draw "Shared context" is also rather amusing. All of our 'objective measurements' are a shared context. However, because they're shared by the majority of people around you, you presume they are universal truths self evident in the object - which is wrong. Disregarding the whole point of the conversation again, because its the one thing you refuse to talk about, you draw arbitrary lines for what classifies as objective. Without a reference point, some level of shared context, it is impossible for us to communicate anything - objectively or subjectively. You are simply stating that some shared contexts of your choice are ok, while others are not, without any strong reason for it being so.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
7,282
2,869
118
Country
United Kingdom
Joccaren said:
The line at which you draw "Shared context" is also rather amusing. All of our 'objective measurements' are a shared context.
The difference being, obviously, that objective metrics-- celsius, centimetres, half-life, miles-per-hour, what-have-you-- are demonstrable to a near-exact degree. Once you demonstrate the system of measurement, you can then demonstrate where objects or substances exist on that scale.

Reference to an objective metric is-- blatantly-- not the same as merely understanding shared context.

Joccaren said:
However, because they're shared by the majority of people around you, you presume they are universal truths self evident in the object - which is wrong.
What? No, I don't. You've failed to understand again. The metric may not be shared by everybody, but it can be demonstrated to those who do not share it. That's the entire value of those metrics, and why they were devised.

This really is some school-grade stuff.
 

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
601
0
0
Ezekiel said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Game mechanics aren't really the main factor in determining Jim's enjoyment or non-enjoyment of games if you've read a somewhat decent amount of his reviews.
Then his judgements are pretty questionable. Gameplay is hugely important. Most people don't find shallow, simplistic, easy, unbalanced combat fun.
I see you haven't played a Yoko Taro game before. If you went into a Yoko Taro game expecting fun and interesting combat you need to do some research.
People play those games because the story is weird as shit and funny.

What other games lets you be eaten by giant babies in one of their endings or throws you into a rhythm game in your true ending boss fight.
Though the Nier games are less crazy than the Drakengard games.