Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yoshi178 said:
He gave Nier: Automata a 9/10 like a .- Console exclusive to PS4
And Horizon Zero Dawn a 9.5/10 before that. - PS4 exclusive

excuse me for coming to the conclusion that Jim is a Playslave
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 9.5/10 - Nintendo exclusive.
Hyrule Warriors Legends - 9.5/10 - Nintendo exclusive.
Kirby: Planet Robobot - 9/10 - Nintendo exclusive.
Xenoblade Chronicles - 9/10 - Nintendo exclusive.
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 8.5 - Nintendo exclusive.
Pokemon Sun and Moon - 8.5/10 - Nintendo exclusive.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 8/10 - Nintendo exclusive.

TL;DR: Try again.

Yoshi178 said:
and oh look, he gave Persona 5 an 8.5/10 also a PS4 exclusive.
Follow the arrows.

Did you follow the arrows?

excuse me
No.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
EternallyBored said:
Yoshi178 said:
Bilious Green said:
MCerberus said:
Yoshi178 said:
like that idiot Jim even matters.

like that idiot Jim even matters

Johnny Novgorod said:
Holy fuck, Sterling is on a roll.

Lisker84 said:
To be fair, Jim Sterling seems to hate just about everything.
He gave Nier: Automata a 9/10 like a week ago.
And Horizon Zero Dawn a 9.5/10 before that.
That's like straight out of his front page. I don't even follow the guy.
thats cause Jims a Sony Fanboy
found the Zelda fanboy
He's still asshurt that Jim gave BotW 7/10. The drop from 98 to 97 still burns.

excuse me for coming to the conclusion that Jim is a Playslave.
This is pathetic, jim is not a PlayStation fanboy, or at least he's not slagging off Nintendo to assist PlayStation.

First off, Jim didn't review Persona 5 Laura Kate Dale did.

Next, Jim gave Pok?mon sun and moon an 8.5 he gave the last Kirby game a 9 and he raves constantly about Hyrule Warriors it was one of his games of the year when it came out.

Jim isn't hating on Nintendo or fanboying Sony, Jim just fucking hates stamina and durability systems and has ranted about them in the past in videos. That's why BOTW bothered him so much and it's something I know myself and other people either agree with totally or at least partially on, BOTW's stamina system and rain storms making me wait around for them to end significantly damaged my enjoyment of it's open world, along with the games difficulty dropping off a cliff to become brain dead easy after a few hours, I can see why he rated the game as merely "good" I would go higher, but I find his score in line with mechanics he has expressed extreme dislike with in the past.

You can criticize plenty of things about his review, there are things I disagree with him on in it, but just calling him a Sony fanboy is easily demonstrably wrong.
this thread is about Yooka Laylee. not BOTW. why are you acting like i'm calling him a Sony fanboy just because of the Zelda review?

Dunc2j

Jul 19, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Bilious Green said:
MCerberus said:
Yoshi178 said:

Johnny Novgorod said:

Lisker84 said:
found the Zelda fanboy
He's still asshurt that Jim gave BotW 7/10. The drop from 98 to 97 still burns.

excuse me for coming to the conclusion that Jim is a PlaySlave.
Or maybe those are just genuinely high quality games that are for the most part universally being praised? Just maybe....

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've only seen Game Explain's review of the Xbone version and it all of the other versions are as unstable as that one than that could be a factor. Performance isn't usually cited in reviews unless the game in question is broken to the level of Ride to Hell or Tony Hawk 5 (or Sonic 06) and while Yooka-Laylee doesn't seem to be broken it's been said that there's a definite lack of polish in the Xbone version of the game. Maybe other versions of the game are equally half-baked?

I'm still waiting for the Switch version to get a launch date...and I would like to see some more reviews of Snake Pass since that's another platformer which people are likening to classics for some reason.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Yoshi178 said:

Johnny Novgorod said:

Lisker84 said:
You know it could be that Sony is actually paying their devs to make good games

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Holy Fuck a 2! I really can't imagine what would warrant that. God Dammit! I usually agree with his criticisms too :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Lisker84 said:
Which is nuts. There's NO WAY NieR: Automata is a 9/10.

The combat is too simplistic and shallow, the balance is poor and the character you play as for most of the game has a mediocre hacking mechanic haphazardly replacing the Y attack. By the time you get to play as 2B again in chapter select, you're overpowered. I think this game would have been better without leveling. Just the upgradable chips. It's implied that 2B, 9S and A2 have been doing this for a while, so the leveling system serves little narrative purpose, and it unbalances the game later on. Or, give me a Bloody Palace mode or a challenge mode or something in which I can continue to play as the three characters while being challenged.

It would be nice if you at least had to dodge in the correct direction and were not invincible while dodging, which would require reworking the enemy attacks.

I usually don't use the term spectacle fighter, but it describes the combat pretty well. It's about looking cool rather than having depth and being challenging. The harder modes don't fix it either. I tried Very Hard because I wanted to replay some chapters and was overpowered at level 80-something. I died from one hit in the prologue, by one of those little trashcan enemies. Same thing happens if you start the game on Hard mode at level 0. Instant deaths in the prologue. Normal is far too easy and hard is far too punishing.

I enjoyed the game a lot, but there are significant problems with it.

I'm very doubtful Horizon is a 9.5/10. Decimal scores are stupid anyway.
The point is he "doesn't hate everything", which is what fans default to whenever he doesn't like their particular cup of tea.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
The point is he "doesn't hate everything", which is what fans default to whenever he doesn't like their particular cup of tea.
Ah the litany list of reasons a reviewer gave a game a score that they disagree with, Their an X fanboy, They were paid off by X, They just hate X. Any reason other than, They Liked/Disliked the game.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Nazulu said:
Holy Fuck a 2! I really can't imagine what would warrant that. God Dammit! I usually agree with his criticisms too :p
A 4 means below average, not awful. Thus, if Jim really didn't like a game, it's at best a 3 then. With that in mind, a 2 isn't THAT low. Just because major sites like IGN and Gamespot use 7 as "average" only makes stuff like 2s or even 5s seem really really bad. You wouldn't feel like a movie critic just "destroyed" a movie by giving it 1 out of 4 stars, right?

Ezekiel said:
There's NO WAY NieR: Automata is a 9/10.

The combat is too simplistic and shallow, the balance is poor and the character you play as for most of the game has a mediocre hacking mechanic haphazardly replacing the Y attack. By the time you get to play as 2B again in chapter select, you're overpowered. I think this game would have been better without leveling. Just the upgradable chips. It's implied that 2B, 9S and A2 have been doing this for a while, so the leveling system serves little narrative purpose, and it unbalances the game later on. Or, give me a Bloody Palace mode or a challenge mode or something in which I can continue to play as the three characters while being challenged.

It would be nice if you at least had to dodge in the correct direction and were not invincible while dodging, which would require reworking the enemy attacks.

I usually don't use the term spectacle fighter, but it describes the combat pretty well. It's about looking cool rather than having depth and being challenging. The harder modes don't fix it either. I tried Very Hard because I wanted to replay some chapters and was overpowered at level 80-something. I died from one hit in the prologue, by one of those little trashcan enemies. Same thing happens if you start the game on Hard mode at level 0. Instant deaths in the prologue. Normal is far too easy and hard is far too punishing.

I enjoyed the game a lot, but there are significant problems with it.

I'm very doubtful Horizon is a 9.5/10. Decimal scores are stupid anyway.
Game mechanics aren't really the main factor in determining Jim's enjoyment or non-enjoyment of games if you've read a somewhat decent amount of his reviews. He cares about how much fun he had with a combat system vs how much depth it has. Just read his Vanquish review where he played it as a cover shooter instead of an action game and then blamed the game for being just another cover shooter. I commend Jim on reviewing games based on his enjoyment even though his tastes don't really align with my own. If Jim really liked a game, it most definitely does at least something much better than most games or does something very few games do. Nier Automata definitely fits one if not both of those categories. Good spectacle fighters have lots of depth, Nier just isn't one of them.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Ezekiel said:
Most people don't find shallow, simplistic, easy, unbalanced combat fun.
So you took a survey of the entire internet and found that the majority said -
1. They hate "shallow, simplistic, easy, unbalanced combat" (because that's totes easy to define and quantify and doesn't rely entirely upon subjective experience)
and
2. That they consider those labels to apply to NieR

I'd love to see this survey of yours!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Game mechanics aren't really the main factor in determining Jim's enjoyment or non-enjoyment of games if you've read a somewhat decent amount of his reviews.
Then his judgements are pretty questionable. Gameplay is hugely important. Most people don't find shallow, simplistic, easy, unbalanced combat fun.
How are his judgements questionable concerning something that's mostly subjective? Not all people are going gravitate toward the same type of gameplay. Just because something is complex and well-balanced doesn't mean it's automatically going to engage everyone who plays it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ezekiel said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Game mechanics aren't really the main factor in determining Jim's enjoyment or non-enjoyment of games if you've read a somewhat decent amount of his reviews.
Then his judgements are pretty questionable. Gameplay is hugely important. Most people don't find shallow, simplistic, easy, unbalanced combat fun.
I'll agree with you on this one Ezekiel. As much as I loved the game, it has certain problems game play wise. The story and music are fine, but there are game design option I disagree. The save system, even if justified plot-wise, was unnecessary and a waste of time. Why bother with certain chips, when you can stock up on health, attack, or defense items.

I've heard people say if you come in expecting a Bayonetta type game, instead of a Yoko Taro game, then it'll be less enjoyable. I chose seeing it more as a Yoko Taro game, but that still does not erase the criticisms I have. Admittedly, it is his best game, game play wised compared to his older titles, but as a Platinum game Nier: A is decent. I'd give it a C+/B- on gameplay, A on everything else. I am not sure if Automata will when GOTY, but if it wins best soundtrack of the year, I will be happy enough. I am just glad Platinum and Yoko are doing well and that the game is gaining great success on both fronts. 2016 was a rough year for the former, so hopefully they can stay on track.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Yoshi178 said:

Johnny Novgorod said:

Lisker84 said:
You're calling him a fanboy for giving a game that got fantastic reviews across the board a similarly fantastic review himself? (I'm not counting Nier since Sony actually had nothing to do with that game but again his review score fell well in line with other critics and players.) Maybe you don't recall the shitstorm he got for giving Uncharted 4 too low a score not far back where people accused him of being a Nintendo fanboy, those people sounded daft too.

Lot of people seem to really go out of their way to drop hate on Jim Sterling for the absolute weirdest shit, often just the fact he has opinions which aren't identical to their own. I always find it hard to fathom how they have the kind of spare time and motivation you need to do that for prolonged periods. Like if the guy irritates you that much surely it's easier to just skip past anything to do with him and move on with your life.

OT: I was super hoping Yooka-Laylee would be good as I have heaps of nostalgia for a lot of PS1 mascot platformers but even the good reviews mention issues with the game I'd find offputting. Pretty disappointing really but given how games are handled these days I guess there's a slim chance some of these things will be altered/ fixed in the future in response to some of these reviews.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yoshi178 said:

excuse me for coming to the conclusion that Jim is a Playslave
TL;DR: Try again.
You know who you're arguing with, right?

I mean, God bless you for trying, but...

I know, I know, but it's too tempting when you see fish in a barrel like that.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Nazulu said:
Makes sense to me. It's basically a low budget Banjo-Kazooie, and that game was pretty terrible to begin with.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Phoenixmgs said:
There is the God of War series so... But in more seriousness, I want reviewers to tell me exactly how THEY felt about a game (or any other art) vs how they think "most" people will feel about it. There's a reason why I have no go-to game reviewers (because of "objective" reviews) and I do have a few go-to movie reviewers. Luckily, it's pretty easy for me to tell if I'll like a game from 10+ minute unedited gameplay demo vids or playable demos/betas.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Jim gave Aliens: Colonial Marines a 2.5/10 back in the day. Now I'm willing to admit that YL could be a turd, but worse than Colonial Marines? I don't buy it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know, I was worried 2017 would be less kind to a retro-collect-a-thon than they were to collect-a-thons from 19 years ago.

It's like watching G1 Transformers as a kid, then buying the movie in a fit of nostalgia 20 years later. That was a rough 85 minutes.