You are now an Escapist Moderator

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Redlin5 said:
The thing is even one month of inaction in a thread leads it off of page 20 in the forums index. When it passes page 20 reviving the thread more or less becomes necromancy. In my eyes and some mods eyes anyway. So I think the cool down period needs to be a lot faster. I don't know how one would code that into the site.
Argh, I mixed up two of my ideas. Let me try again here:
Hjalmar said:
If the thread is left alone for two weeks or so the thread temp is lowered one notch, and if it stays on that track for an additional month the temp will be lowered to grade 1 again. If no one posts in the thread in month and a half, the temp will lowered to zero, effectively making it "dead," if you will.

If the thread cools down anyway while getting fresh posts the thermometer would be lowered accordingly, manually.
But yes, you are right, the cooldown time is too long. Seems I went overboard on the side of caution, so let me propose a newer version: 3 days - Down one notch. 1 ½ week - Down to zero.

The other thing is that the mods do have lives outside of the Escapist (shocking, I know!) and tackling the report queue on a bad day here must be a nightmare as it is. They aren't paid to do this and some are taking university classes IRL. Adding to their duties might lead to the report queue getting less attention and that means things will slide past them for longer before they catch up. I don't have doubts about the work ethic of our mods, I just think adding to their duties is asking a lot of them. I honestly think having it user powered would be the way to go but I don't know the right way to go about it.

I like the idea but I think it'll need a lot of work before implementation. I foresee people using it to target OPs they don't like by spamming the gauge mechanism or whatever. I have little faith in people not abusing things for the sake of trolling.
Well, that is a reason why I wouldn't want users fiddling with it. And yes, I did know about mods having a tough schedule.

But that's my thought on the matter. I suggest you talk to Mods and Staff if you want to draft a serious proposal about it.
Maybe tomorrow, you did get me thinking about some other things that requires some more thought.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
Hand out warnings for the excessive smugness that seems to permeate the current userbase. Warn/ban users that are often hostile/rude to others. Try to make the forums feel welcome again.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I would be the moderator this site deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So you'd hunt me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not your moderator. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A BAN-HAMMER WIELDING MOTHER FUCKER!

Jun 7, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Move all the sexism/feminism threads to religion and politics.
I know they're sexism threads but come on, have you no heart?! D:

OT: See that nobody's breaking the rules, punish those who break them, wield the Banhammer with wisdom and grace.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Ban everyone without an avatar. Suspensions for anyone who plays games I dislike. MAUAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Aug 25, 2009
I might do something about threads that get too personal but haven't strictly broken the rules...

I'd probably just be a moderator. Ban users who break the rules, lock threads which break the rules, enforce the rules generally.

Oh, and I'd shut down that "Lady Bits" group. It's just not very good. Bitches be crazy.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If I've somehow become a moderator then you'd best be more worried about all the pigs that have started flying, and less about what I'd do as a moderator.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I would ruthlessly enforce the "Low content post" rule and accumulate-ban all the regulars for petty infractions using the strikes system. -_-
And on the other hand ignore people who abuse the system and bait users.

-_- as well.
This. Oh crap, do I have to ban myself now? Oh wait, I added something, I think I'm safe.

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
While I would absolutely love to go mad with power, but I fear that I'm probably far too nice to actually do such a thing. And never mind the colossal amount of time I'd waste trying to think of inventive ways to abuse said power.

In all seriousness though, I suppose I'd do my damned job. Make sure the rules are obeyed/enforced, and send the truly abhorrent users packing. Simples.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
Cain is the only one here that I know wouldn't abuse the fuck out of it.

The rest of you, you'd cracked under the presser and fall to corruption. That power is too great.

I myself would probably only use it on blatant shit.
Pssh. I'm already cracked and corrupted. TAKE THAT!

;)

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
wait... escapist mods are people?

What? That can't be right. I've never seen them think, only count letters and give horribly delayed automatic warnings and pre-scripted replies.

I certainly have never seen one post. Are they supposed to, like, stick out? Be visible? I can't tell, because I don't think I've ever seen one. I damn well can't name one.

This is the first forum on the internet where that's happened to me, btw. I like mods. I like noticing mods. I like forum modding. I've done it for 7 years. I know how to do it right. It's by being a person first, then a user, then a mod.

Uh, yeah. That's what I'd do as a mod. Post something. About sunshine, probably.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I love how people think being mod means they have the power to change something.

You enforce the rules of the Escapist and make judgements based on those rules.

You can't just ban people willy nilly, and you certainly can't change any of the rules to serve your own desires.
Spoil sport.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I've had some seriously unwarranted hostility directed towards me in the past on these forums so if I ever saw it happen, I'd check the posting history of the offender in question before deciding whether to ban them or not.

I'm a pretty responsible person, in fact I'm the sort of guy who would march into the bank in charge of an ATM that just gave me more cash than I needed and return it to them. So, realistically, I'd bypass the system in rare cases where I feel it is warranted because I know I wouldn't abuse my power.

Oh wait, the title said "moderator", not "administrator". Oops.

Well, I don't know. I imagine I'd be restricted by the rules from doing what I think needs to be done.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Woodsey said:
If I've somehow become a moderator then you'd best be more worried about all the pigs that have started flying, and less about what I'd do as a moderator.
You'd have to make a pretty big turnaround to go from being banned three times to moderator.
At least you could say that you've experienced the wrath of your power.