You are now the opposite gender.

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
><; This would be one of the many scenarios in which I put way too much forethought into. Much like having a plan for each of the major Zombie scenarios, figuring out what I will do if aliens invaded, the practical combat application of useless superpowers, and the non-combat applications of battle powers, I have a plan for spontaneous gender change (as part of my general plan for any sort of major spontaneous transformation)

First of all; it could be a dream, or I could have gone insane, been hypnotized or otherwise had my perception changed. I will get dressed and pretend things are normal. If someone else notices; and points it out, then I will know that something is actually wrong.

Step two; If I have actually changed, I will have to talk to my boss to make sure that I still get credit for the work I do in my new form. I will probably have to prove I am me somehow, but one of my major reasons will likely be 'this story is too messed up to tell if it wasn't true.'

Step three; Keep life up as close to normal as possible, and attempt to figure out during my spare time what caused the change, how to change back, and if the change is related to a specific stimuli how to control it. (shapeshifting is one superpower that can be ridiculously overpowered if used right)

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Axolotl said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
That the thread was specifically named "gender" not sex makes it sad that most every single reply took gender and sex to be interchangeable. Shows how far we have to go on the issue of sexuality.
That because in almost all circumstances they are interchangable. Outside of specific fields based on studying gender roles then gender is a perfectly valid term for physical sex characteristics.
No. It isn't.

Assuming someone's gender is something based off what you perceive their genitals to be is horribly backwards.

This is why transsexuals have such an agony of an existence - opinions like yours.

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
What do you do now that you have woken up as the opposite gender?
Take over the world, obviously.

With males being rulers of countries, a little sex and sign here when they have no blood left in their brain and done; I own USA/Russia/China/Japan.

RachaelIsaacHill

Jun 27, 2011
Hmm. Be kind of happy, actually. My friends already joke about how I'm the gayest of all of us, so actually being gay wouldn't be that much of a change from normal. Seriously, fuck having boobs.

Though not being able to take a kick to the crotch anymore would kind-of be a pain.

Also, people wouldn't automatically assume I'm bad at playing Magic: The Gathering. :D

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Snowy Rainbow said:
Axolotl said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
That the thread was specifically named "gender" not sex makes it sad that most every single reply took gender and sex to be interchangeable. Shows how far we have to go on the issue of sexuality.
That because in almost all circumstances they are interchangable. Outside of specific fields based on studying gender roles then gender is a perfectly valid term for physical sex characteristics.
No. It isn't.

Assuming someone's gender is something based off what you perceive their genitals to be is horribly backwards.

This is why transsexuals have such an agony of an existence - opinions like yours.
I didn't give any opinions in my earlier post. Gender and sex are used interchangably by most people and in most fields, look it up in a dictionary, most will define them as the same thing. They used to mean the same thing it's only in the 20th century some people tried to break them into meaning seperate things and this redefinition is only accepted within certains fields (where I agree it's important to be able to make the distinction). However getting annoyed because people use the definition that not only is what the word originally meant but also the one it's most commonly used for is deeply immature.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
First off, like a few people already mentioned, gender is a societal construction, it's the mannerisms and actions, it is NOT biological sex as it seems a lot of people here have been thinking, To put it simply, gender is what's between your ears, sex, is what's between your legs

Now, for all the people who mentioned going to lesbian clubs and whatnot, if your sex (Because obviously you took gender as sex) did change to that of a female one, your gender would not, you'd still be acting like a guy, and would probably be read as one, or at least as a male to female transsexual

On a personal note, as a horribly unpassable male to female transsexual, I can assure you, having one's gender not match one's sex, is a horrific nightmare in which I, personally, will never be able to escape

So, if my sex was to suddenly change to the opposite, well, It would be great, I could have some resemblance of a normal life

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I'd freak the fuck out and hide under my pillow. When understanding that it's permanent, try to make people understand what's happened. Then become world famous.

Clarkarius

Dec 21, 2008
Snowy Rainbow said:
HydraMoon said:
Snowy Rainbow said:

I'm not suggesting everyone here is some backwards redneck. I'm simply bumed sex and gender are seen as interchangeable (or at least assumed).
I agree but I guess I'm used to it. Especially on a gaming website...sometimes I feel proud if we aren't eating our own boogers. I know I should expect better; I think it's good that you do. Even if it does lead to a letdown feeling, I think it's good to have standards.

I guess when I'm not in an alternative space I really don't expect to hear proper discussion of gender/sex/race/privilege. When I read the Borderhouse Blog- yeah, I demand it there. Here, it's like a giant mixing bowl to me. Some good, some bad, some make me wanna vomit and others make me see shiny kittens and rainbows.
You speak the truth.

I guess it is a bit silly of me to expect everyone in the world to view gender, sex and sexuality the same way as myself all the time. Even if I am right :p
Well if you want to look at this from a technical prospective, gender is a social construct and as such changing your gender would be to change how you are perceived in the world from what we view a man or a woman to be, as well as your own interpretations of the world. Ergo if someone is to ask how you would change if your gender was to flip the question is ultimately invalid as your perceptions would have changed.

However like you said outside academia and to common knowledge many people tend not differentiate between someone's gender and there sex so when I say the term in a non-academic forum I would instantly assume that by gender they are referring to sex. Perhaps it was wrong of me to jump to that conclusion in this case *shrugs*.

OT: I've not read many of the prior posts so if someone has already said this then apologies.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Axolotl said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
Axolotl said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
No. It isn't.

I didn't give any opinions in my earlier post. Gender and sex are used interchangably by most people and in most fields, look it up in a dictionary, most will define them as the same thing. They used to mean the same thing it's only in the 20th century some people tried to break them into meaning seperate things and this redefinition is only accepted within certains fields (where I agree it's important to be able to make the distinction). However getting annoyed because people use the definition that not only is what the word originally meant but also the one it's most commonly used for is deeply immature.
Hear! Hear! A well thought out argument to the ridiculous claim.

Also,

gen·der
noun&#8195;/&#712;jend&#601;r/&#8195;
genders, plural

1)(in languages such as Latin, Greek, Russian, and German) Each of the classes (typically masculine, feminine, common, neuter) of nouns and pronouns distinguished by the different inflections that they have and require in words syntactically associated with them. Grammatical gender is only very loosely associated with natural distinctions of sex

2) The property (in nouns and related words) of belonging to such a class
- adjectives usually agree with the noun in gender and number

3) The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)
- traditional concepts of gender
- gender roles

4) The members of one or other sex
- differences between the genders are encouraged from an early age

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Clarkarius said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
HydraMoon said:
Snowy Rainbow said:

I'm not suggesting everyone here is some backwards redneck. I'm simply bumed sex and gender are seen as interchangeable (or at least assumed).
I agree but I guess I'm used to it. Especially on a gaming website...sometimes I feel proud if we aren't eating our own boogers. I know I should expect better; I think it's good that you do. Even if it does lead to a letdown feeling, I think it's good to have standards.

I guess when I'm not in an alternative space I really don't expect to hear proper discussion of gender/sex/race/privilege. When I read the Borderhouse Blog- yeah, I demand it there. Here, it's like a giant mixing bowl to me. Some good, some bad, some make me wanna vomit and others make me see shiny kittens and rainbows.
You speak the truth.

I guess it is a bit silly of me to expect everyone in the world to view gender, sex and sexuality the same way as myself all the time. Even if I am right :p
Well if you want to look at this from a technical prospective, gender is a social construct and as such changing your gender would be to change how you are perceived in the world from what we view a man or a woman to be, as well as your own interpretations of the world. Ergo if someone is to ask how you would change if your gender was to flip the question is ultimately invalid as your perceptions would have changed.

However like you said outside academia and to common knowledge many people tend not differentiate between someone's gender and there sex so when I say the term in a non-academic forum I would instantly assume that by gender they are referring to sex. Perhaps it was wrong of me to jump to that conclusion in this case *shrugs*.
Gender is a social construct, but it is not limited to that. You can be any gender - how people perceive you doesn't change YOU, it changes what they think.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
You mean after freaking out?

Do what 5% of the comments say, and than probably go shopping for some new undergarments.

*Edit*

BTW, we are taking something like Rule 63, right? Im still in the habit of using gender and sex interchangeably.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Male > Female?
I'd adapt, surely. My routines would be adjusted towards the needs of my newly gained body, yet still stay true to my psychological routines and needs.

Basically game like always, except I'd be wearing a bra with my total uniform, in one example.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
First be confused. Probably stare at mirror in confusion and interest.
Then probably shclick it.
And then spend a week or two trying to create a story about what happened to the people I know

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
Worgen said:
spend at least an hour playing with my boobs then.... probably the same thing I do everyday, try to take over the world
"They're Pinky and the Brain
Yes, Pinky and the Brain
One is a genius, the other's other insane
They're laboratory mice
Their genes have been spliced
They're Pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain
Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain..."

I'll be Pinky you'll be Brain :)

Ps. i'd probaply go see a doctor and check if it's irreversible, then i'd probaply masturbate, just to find out how it feels when i'm a girl..

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
I gotta buy new cloths, man! Also read up on everything a female has to do to keep her body operational. Also as a man, I think I'd become a slut, but I assume a female brain is also in the package... I'd be a whole new person, man!

HellenicWarrior

May 14, 2011
Definitely masturbate. Then visit my girlfriend, who is either my boyfriend or still my girlfriend, and test out the new body parts.

I mean seriously, what else would you do first?