You can ban any word in the English language... Which is it?

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
'Straw-man' (two words, but shaddup)

The go-to tactic for people who disagree and want to find a fancy (insubstantial) way of saying it. I think I've only seen it used appropriately once.

glider4

Mar 27, 2012
Doom972 said:
I would first like to say that I don't condone the banning of any word, including derogatory words referring to my own heritage and things I like to do in my free time.

With that said, if I have to choose one off the top of my head, it would be "entitled". I would choose it because it encourages the "shut up and don't complain attitude", which I never support because I like to think that things can always be made better.
Darn it your gonna put Moviebob out of business. But seriously it's hard to decide. Perhaps the word racist so people would stop accusing everything and everybody of being "wasisst" without any thought about context.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
That's a good question.
I'd go with "Freedom".
Take it as you will.

I don't really feel that what the word "Freedom" is supposed to mean, is actually what it DOES mean. And this bothers me to no end.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:
"Ban" and "make it so you never hear it" are two very different things, as well. If I were to ban a word in the legal sense, i.e. arrest anyone who uses it, I wouldn't. It would be a gross violation of human rights and I would be a giant fascist (boy I hope I used that term right) asshole for doing it.
That's a good point. In which case I'm going to assume when the OP says "ban" s/he means "erase from existence."

Mar 9, 2010
Demon ID said:
Literally. Its misuse has gotten way out of hand, I think I've began developing a facial tick when someone says it now.

Me? I'd going to go with the word very, in keeping with my Dead Poets Society mood.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
Patathatapon said:
Forobryt said:
Forobryt would ban the word "I" so that everyone must talk in the 3rd person. Would make the whole world more classy and yet seem more insane at the same time.
"Slippery John thinks that's an excellent idea!"

"Patathatapon would rather not to say Patathatapon whenever referring to Patathatapon's self"
KOMega said:
"fuck"

Not because it offends me or anything, but I'm wondering what would replace it and how ridiculous it would be :p
There will always be a new word.

"the" would be a good contender since we would all talk partially like cavemen. At least for a while.

Forobryt said:
Forobryt would ban the word "I" so that everyone must talk in the 3rd person. Would make the whole world more classy and yet seem more insane at the same time.
Did not think of that. Good idea!
Forobryt was created by "Top English Scientists" to be truely evil. Forobryt even has tea for blood.
Forobryt wishes to destroy the world with true English evil.

Its either talk in third person or start talking like an orc. "Me need food" "Me want to go out today".

For more cruelty ban whatever word your favorite food is called. So its much harder to enjoy your favourite items.

TheSear

Oct 3, 2008
This is a difficult one as there are many (Mostly phrases such as 'L2P'), but the one I would have to go with would be baserape (or spawnrape etc). Using the word rape in this context fucks me off to no end.

To be fair I would like to delete the word rape for anything but its literal meaning. :p

'Sear was killed in BF3'
Killer: Lolz I totally raped you'
Me: No you fucking didn't asshole, you killed my character.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Doom972 said:
I would first like to say that I don't condone the banning of any word, including derogatory words referring to my own heritage and things I like to do in my free time.

With that said, if I have to choose one off the top of my head, it would be "entitled". I would choose it because it encourages the "shut up and don't complain attitude", which I never support because I like to think that things can always be made better.
Amen to that.
Dammit, people are throwing word "entitled" whenever they want to derail discussion or make opposing arguments invalid.
I just hate that.
The only things I'm entitled to is breathing and remaining in one intact piece (more or less).
If someone tries to take these rights away from me this person/group is in serious trouble.
Everything else?
I simply want everything else.
I don't know if I deserve everything else, but if I want it and can get it, I will do so.
Not because I'm "entitled" to it, but because I want and can get it.
Is this concept so hard to understand?
Word "entitled" should be banned at least for a decade, hopefully by that time people will learn to use this word correctly.
[Although how you can learn to use something that is banned is beyond me :D ]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
"Epic" cause gaming culture fucking ruined it. I'm tired of hearing people use it to describe everything because they have the vocabular variety and lexical creativity of a 4th grader.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
BathorysGraveland2 said:
"Poop"

Fucking hate this word. So damn much. It's possibly the silliest, most juvenile sounding word that is in widespread usage among adults that I've heard. What's going to be said next, pee pee? Gah.
You took my answer! I don't mind when kids say it, but for some reason it burns me up when adults say it. You are an adult! Talk like one! Call it a crap or shit or a bowel movement, or use some euphemism like dropping a log, but don't talk like a flipping 7 year old!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
To be fair, I use the word "******" jokingly, maybe I have been spending too much time on 4Chan...

OT: ****, the word makes me cringe...
The irony being that on 4chan it's all but a term of endearment. Crazy place that 4chan.

I really could't think of a single word. I'd rather have mandatory proper education on the usage of such words. E.g regardless (irregardless isn't a word and as such doesn't need banning. same with ruthful. Wait, OH SHIT! THE ESCAPIST DOESN'T FLAG IRREGARDLESS! NOOOOOOOOOO! THE IDIOTS ARE WINNING!), irony/ironic, "like", and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
OVERRATED

Granted, there are far more egregiously used, and over used, words today. Including, but not limited to, 'literally', 'like', 'hate', 'bias', 'strawman', etc.

However, the demeaning, dismissive, and overly pretentious nature of 'overrated' has reached near mythic proportions nowadays. We even see a sort of subculture of egoism that bases its entire existence on considering anything remotely popular as being "bad" or "not worth its praise"; regardless of any actual merit the material may have.

Get rid of this word, and suddenly you'll find the pretentious neck-beards of the world actually having to work for their sense of self-superiority.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
"Affect" and "Affected"
I kind of understand the difference between it and "Effect", but it can be such a pain to differentiate the two sometimes. Even my English teachers hate it. It'd be nice if we just had one word to encompass the whole idea.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Nigga. No, not ******. Just the stupid "look at me, I'm such a thug" word: nigga. It's why I stopped watching the Wire part way through season 1. I just hated more than half of the characters. Not because the word offends me, it just makes me think extremely lowly of any characters that frequently use it.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
"The."

Let mayhem begin. >:)
Was going to say this.

But I think I want to get rid of "Female", because that would also invalidates feminism/feminist/woman/girl due to he fact female is used in their dictionary description.

And not being able to reference females as a group will really throw a wrench into all the equality moaning.

And subsequently clean up these forums a whole bunch.

CAPTCHA: ladies, first

See even the Captcha is feminist.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
JFKRowling said:
"Utilize"
I'm not sure if there is any difference in meaning between utilize and use, but if there is, no one who says it is aware of it. It's just a way for people to try to make something that they're saying sound more intelligent. Instead, it merely makes them sound like an asshole. Use is a great little word that's supremely useful. Use it!
AH! that reminds me. Thusly. Thus is already an adverb, you really don't need to add the "ly" to the end of it. Hell, thusly (or is it thustly? eh, don't care) began as a joke word for people trying to sound more sophisticated. Doubly hilarious now that it is actually a word and some people still legitimately use it to sound more sophisticated.