You Can Experience Battlefield 4's Gritty Realism On October 29th

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

DICE's modern military shooter arrives in late October/early November depending on where you live.

Battlefield 4, the latest addition in DICE's incredibly popular Battlefield franchise will be arriving on October 29th in the US, and November 1st in the UK. No date was given for an Australian release, but as we are usually tied in to the UK/Europe release date, we can probably assume it will be released around the same time.

It looks like non-US gamers have once again got the short end of the stick in the traditional Tuesday/Friday release schedule. It really makes you wonder why they have these pointless delays in an age where digital distribution should make everything instant all around the world.

So far, all we have seen from Battlefield 4 is a pretty impressive explosions-laden single player trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122927-Battlefield-4-Goes-Hollywood-in-its-Official-Gameplay-Debut]. The trailer features, in no specific order, A soldier's leg being amputated, resulting in a shower of blood, A scene where you hang out of the vehicle and launch grenades at a chopper that is in hot pursuit, and a soldier fighting off hostile canines and dispatching them in a very un-PETA-friendly manner.

Surprisingly we haven't seen any footage, or heard of any new features, for the multiplayer portion of the game (which lets be honest is the main reason anyone ever buys these modern military shooters anyway).

The game will run on DICE's updated Frostbite 3 engine, which looked absolutely gorgeous in the gameplay footage they showed. That footage was, however, running on a PC, so we'll have to see just how big of a hit it takes when its forced onto the PS3 and Xbox 360's aging hardware.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/22/battlefield-4-release-date-announced-for-early-november/]

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
But... is there a dog in the game? THINK OF THE PUPPIES!

#Doggienevrforget

Yeah I'm being overly negative.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Sigh. I like Battlefield, I really do, but why do they feel the need for a single player game that, lets face it , is going to be stupid and disapointing. Hopefully we'll hear more details of The actual core game soon. I just wish they didn't waste resources on shitty single player and co op.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
So the 3 delay in Europe is because of what exactly? This is something that really pisses me off with EA, why the hell does it push out it's huge titles late in Europe?

Is there some German law forbidding products launching on certain days in the EU unless it's Call of Duty?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
What I have seen before has made me verbally flatuate one big "MEH". This on the other hand elicits a tremendous amount of anxiety and joy whenever someone mentions the name. Oh how my body shudders at there mere mention of...

-----------------------------------------------------------ARMA 3----------------------------------------------------------

The new Battlefield just does nothing for me. It is charging too fast in the wrong direction. Bad Company 1 was a massive shift but it still felt very much like battlefield. This new one just looks like another COD shooter gallery with over-the-top soldiers in the same grey-brown environments and macho, simple, shoot everything plots with only stale gameplay to pick up the slack. Maybe the multiplayer will change my mind but in the meantime I am just too cynical about the series to care.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Errrr that small screenshot in the news post is HIGHLY misleading of the true Battlefield 4 experience.

This is far more reflective of BF4's amazing visuals (click for full size, it looks even more realistic):

[http://i.imgur.com/tv7VmgG.jpg]

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
The multiplayer will no doubt be good - after all that's DICE main strong point - but I would love it if the single player was less... bland as the previous one. At least there's no dog.

Is it strange to be torn (a) between the desire to see an overblown, bloated and poorly supported game sink (Origin) so fast it collapses on itself and creates a blackhole and at the same time (b) wish it the best of luck and smash a good bottle of wine on it's side for luck as it sails off?

EDIT:
Yuuki said:
Errrr that small screenshot in the news post is HIGHLY misleading of the true Battlefield 4 experience.

This is far more reflective of BF4's amazing visuals (click for full size, it looks even more realistic):

Nope, I saw the video and it still looks as drab as BF3 to me. I'm not dissing either you or the game, but a screenshot with lens flare is not exactly the best way to demonstrate amazing visuals. You may want to try this instead

http://cdn.bf4central.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bf4-1-640x360.jpg

I am assuming that when you mention realistic you are referencing to the graphics, which are not. I would dare suggest FarCry 3, Crysis and even Metro Last Light to be more 'realistic' , taking into account the settings they are in. Although MLL is indeed drab, take into account that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. BF4 is leaning towards a more gritty feel that was a carry over from the film Saving Private Ryan. It's a nice touch to a game/film, but a little overdone.

TL:DR - Lens flare is not a good indicator of realistic or amazing graphics. And although gritty is not good when over done, neither is colorful - unless it's FC3 Blood Dragon. =)

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Battlefield 4, the latest addition in DICE's incredibly popular Battlefield franchise will be arriving on October 29th in the US, and November 1st in the UK. No date was given for an Australian release, but as we are usually tied in to the UK/Europe release date, we can probably assume it will be released around the same time.

It looks like non-US gamers have once again got the short end of the stick in the traditional Tuesday/Friday release schedule. It really makes you wonder why they have these pointless delays in an age where digital distribution should make everything instant all around the world.
Can guarantee anyone with a clue in the aussie community will have it the same day as US, possibly sooner via Korean VPNs lol Really is so pointless having separate dates.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Steven Bogos said:

The game will run on DICE's updated Frostbite 3 engine, which looked absolutely gorgeous in the gameplay footage they showed. That footage was, however, running on a PC, so we'll have to see just how big of a hit it takes when its forced onto the PS3 and Xbox 360's aging hardware.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/22/battlefield-4-release-date-announced-for-early-november/]

Thank god for the new console generation. Except for a few decent developers, most games are created with console in mind. This is a slight pain due to it holding back Gaming in general. People think I'm being elitist when I notice that the graphics aren't up to par any more. Generally these remarks are from primarily console gamers who don't know any better. You really have to play on a decent gaming rig for an extended period to get irked by it.

Battlefield being one of the only games in recent times (multi-platform) that designed for the PC then specced down for the consoles. As any graphic designer will tell you, its much easier to scale down than up.

So, again, looking forward to the new gen, hopefully it will bring fresh life to the PC scene.

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
Akimoto said:
The multiplayer will no doubt be good - after all that's DICE main strong point - but I would love it if the single player was less... bland as the previous one. At least there's no dog.

Is it strange to be torn (a) between the desire to see an overblown, bloated and poorly supported game sink (Origin) so fast it collapses on itself and creates a blackhole and at the same time (b) wish it the best of luck and smash a good bottle of wine on it's side for luck as it sails off?

EDIT:
Yuuki said:

Nope, I saw the video and it still looks as drab as BF3 to me. I'm not dissing either you or the game, but a screenshot with lens flare is not exactly the best way to demonstrate amazing visuals. You may want to try this instead

http://cdn.bf4central.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bf4-1-640x360.jpg

I am assuming that when you mention realistic you are referencing to the graphics, which are not. I would dare suggest FarCry 3, Crysis and even Metro Last Light to be more 'realistic' , taking into account the settings they are in. Although MLL is indeed drab, take into account that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. BF4 is leaning towards a more gritty feel that was a carry over from the film Saving Private Ryan. It's a nice touch to a game/film, but a little overdone.

TL:DR - Lens flare is not a good indicator of realistic or amazing graphics. And although gritty is not good when over done, neither is colorful - unless it's FC3 Blood Dragon. =)
You uh...missed the joke. That lens flare is in the game. Like, as you are playing. Its godawful when you are trying to shoot someone with the sun behind them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Saulkar said:
What I have seen before has made me verbally flatuate one big "MEH". This on the other hand elicits a tremendous amount of anxiety and joy whenever someone mentions the name. Oh how my body shudders at there mere mention of...

-----------------------------------------------------------ARMA 3----------------------------------------------------------

The new Battlefield just does nothing for me. It is charging too fast in the wrong direction. Bad Company 1 was a massive shift but it still felt very much like battlefield. This new one just looks like another COD shooter gallery with over-the-top soldiers in the same grey-brown environments and macho, simple, shoot everything plots with only stale gameplay to pick up the slack. Maybe the multiplayer will change my mind but in the meantime I am just too cynical about the series to care.
That video right there sums up why:
A) I love ArmA and its series so much.
B) I find CoD and BF so boring and can't get how people can like the stuff (other than some quick mindless coop split screen).

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Serious question now, if they're going for extra gritty will the game come with a bag of coarse sand for me to spread on my office chair while I play it?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Desert Punk said:
This is why I bought ARMA3 already.
Ditto. I am really psyched over the prospect of fully physics based tanks and attack choppers being added into the open Beta this June/July. Imagine the mission possibilities!

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
RicoADF said:
A) I love ArmA and its series so much.
B) I find CoD and BF so boring and can't get how people can like the stuff (other than some quick mindless coop split screen).
Very different beasts. ARMA is a Mil Sim. CoD and BF are spectacle shooters with arcade-like multiplayer components.

Not everyone can be bothered with all the realism mechanics of mil sims. Granted CoD and BF have progressively gotten more rubbish, but since they have monopolized the mainstream fps market, there's little other choice if you haven't got any interest in realism/simulation, other than a bunch of cod-cloned F2P shooters which are just more of the same anyway.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
who cares for the SP?
even the vote on the battlelog shows clearly that nearly 90% of the people are looking forward to the MP.
i personally dont care for the SP. im sure the MP will be really good.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Saulkar said:

It was ok that Bad Company was a massive shift because it was a separate series. Dice had the option of releasing a Bad Company game when they needed something to compete with/emulate CoD, while still keeping the Battlefield series heavily oriented towards team play. Unfortunately, this separation of the series was all in my head.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
I would like an article to speculate on why this is so actually. I think it would be interesting (form a business perspective).