You Can Get Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline For Just $5 Each Right Now

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can Get Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline For Just $5 Each Right Now

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330089.jpgEA's put Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline on sale as part of its Road to Battlefield promotion.

EA has had a number of specials as part of its "Road to Battlefield 1" promotion that began in the run-up to Battlefield 1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167344-EA-Giving-Away-Battlefield-4-and-Battlefield-Hardline-Expansion-Packs]. So far, they've been giving away expansions for the previous two Battlefield games, but now they've heavily discounted the games themselves.

Through Monday, June 20, you can pick up Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline for just $5 each. That goes for the PC, PS3, PS4, and Xbox One versions of the game. For some reason, the Xbox 360 version of the games got left off the deal, apparently.

The "Road to Battlefield 1" will continue in the coming months with more free expansions being given away, culminating with the launch of Battlefield 1 in October. You can see all the info at the Road to Battlefield 1 page [https://www.battlefield.com/news/road-to-battlefield].

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, kinda tempting. I hear BF4 actually came good after it had been patched to buggery and back.

However I think I'll just wait for BF1. I'm pretty much done with modern military stuff.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
So the road to Battlefield 1 is paved with EA's previously failed and heavily discounted Battlefield projects?

What does EA want? Remind us that Battlefield has been pretty yikes for the past few years and that this time it'll be really awesome? I mean yay for discounts, sure, but the overal marketing strategy is a little odd considering Battlefield's current reputation.

I'm good regardless though. I'm a little inclined to get Hardline because I like the police angle, thin as it may be, but I know I won't put enough hours into it to justify the dent it'll put in my data cap. I'll be waiting for Battlefield 1.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
So the road to Battlefield 1 is paved with EA's previously failed and heavily discounted Battlefield projects?
BF4 has grown into a fantastic game, in that way the mainline BF games tend to over time. If you were going to buy one, that's the one since it's got 150'000+ daily players. I wouldn't call it failed.

Hardline, nobody really knows what EA were playing at when they dreamed up Hardline.

As for this deal, it's ok but doesn't include the DLC, which is pretty much mandatory to have a good time in a Battlefield game. They're quite heavily discounted too, so the games come to $22 each, but $22 isn't quite such a good deal for a game released in 2013.

EA put the BF games on heavy discount every couple of months, they find any excuse. I would guess the aim is to get more people onto Origin and a reflection that Battlefield is now the only franchise EA has with any serious traction while we wait for Mass Effect and a decent Star Wars game.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
People rag on hardline but other than the helicopters, I like it.

The only reason I don't like the helicopters is due to you not being able to spawn with an anti air weapon. So, if you see a chopper, you have to sprint to a launcher, find the chopper again, aim, shoot, aim, shoot and then it gets destroyed.

I like it 'cos it is 80% player VS player, sometimes you get the huge riot trucks but they are easy to take out and the rest are for mostly getting from A-B more quickly.

I honestly like the police angle, all other FPS games are military or in the case of quake super soldier or alien. This is a new spin AND it lets you benefit from arrests by highlighting enemies on your map after an interrogation.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Well, failed compared to the Battlefield games that came way before then. Keyword is as well; it grew into a fantastic game. That fact alone made it iffy as hell. It definitely never really had the oompf of a Battlefield 2, 1942 or even BF:Vietnam.

Maybe I'll get BF4 then. I don't know, I used to adore Bad Company 2 but when I tried to get into BF3 I got killed randomly so damn often that all the fun I could get out of the game was through elaborate jihad-jeeping and other C4 shenanigans.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Curious: Xbox made it look like a "Gold" deal. When you buy a Gold deal, if your Gold account expires, do you still get to play the game?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
No, I'm sorry, you'll have to pay me more than 5 bucks per game to get me to play them.

Oh, you meant I would be the one paying...pffft.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Gorfias said:
Curious: Xbox made it look like a "Gold" deal. When you buy a Gold deal, if your Gold account expires, do you still get to play the game?
Yes, all discounted and free "Games with Gold" games are kept after your Gold expires.

OT: Recently tried out Hardline on Xbox, and the single player is kind of interesting with points awarded for non lethal arrests and such.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
fix-the-spade said:
Hardline, nobody really knows what EA were playing at when they dreamed up Hardline.
It seems to me that they were trying for Battlefield: Grand Theft Auto. Problem is that from what I've seen, the single-player campaign is boring, and multiplayer at launch had a serious problem with weapon balance and map variety- both which have been fixed since then (with free DLC still being made), but far too late to save the game from its own sibling, BF4.

I think I'll save my five bucks.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
NLS said:
Gorfias said:
Yes, all discounted and free "Games with Gold" games are kept after your Gold expires.

OT: Recently tried out Hardline on Xbox, and the single player is kind of interesting with points awarded for non lethal arrests and such.
Good to know. PS+ free games disappear when the account lapses. Dunno if I can revive them if it does.

EDIT: Just got the XB1 standard version for $4.50 and The Crew is free this month. I hear it is meh but am certain I'll have fun with it.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Should be noted the premium editions or whatever they are called aren't $5 only the base game is, still looking at $20-25 for the full versions.

Ghost1800

Apr 8, 2009
Yeeeeeah, no thanks. Battlefield was dead to me starting after 2s and 2142s servers went offline. Still like the project reality mod but that has very little to do with EA.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Battlefield Hardline is $7.49, while BF4 is $4.99 on Origin for us Aussies, just for anyone interested. Hardline is $4.49 on Xbox One, but it's got the "GOLD" marker next to it, so it might be more expensive without Gold.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
fix-the-spade said:
Well, failed compared to the Battlefield games that came way before then. Keyword is as well; it grew into a fantastic game. That fact alone made it iffy as hell. It definitely never really had the oompf of a Battlefield 2, 1942 or even BF:Vietnam.
Every Battlefield game has been pretty terrible on launch. BF3 and BC were full of random hit detection and player model bugs. BF2/2142 was full of crashes and had a loading time you could measure with a calendar. BF: Vietnam was so terrible EA actually re-released it a year later. I remember BF1942 being pretty stable, but having no anti-cheat to speak of.

BF4 was notable that it took a full year to make the game even functional (and EA pushing a 1 year DLC strategy whilst ignoring that the base game was crap), but it follows the pattern of every Battlefield game ever. As for sales, it's sales are mostly in line with the other BF games except 3.

3 is a bit of a freak in that it was not only great, but the expansions were great and EA kept pushing the game for almost two years. You would think they'd have followed that model for all future Battlefields, but apparently decided 4 should have as much stuff in half the time.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Fair enough I suppose. I don't know man, I remember BF4 being the butt of jokes, or at least being laughed about. Maybe because it got released at the end of the modern-day shooter paradigm?

I bought 4 by the way and...egh. It feels a bit bland.