You Can Grab Mass Effect 2 For Free On Origin Right Now

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can Grab Mass Effect 2 For Free On Origin Right Now

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1372/1372142.jpgIf you've always wanted Mass Effect 2 on the PC, now's your chance to get it for free.

With all the news about this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169187-Mass-Effect-Andromeda-CES-Trailer-Shows-Off-UI-Combat-and-More], you might be thinking about taking the original trilogy for a spin. If you're hoping to give Mass Effect 2 a go, you can now play it on PC absolutely free.

EA's Origin "On the House" program offers up full games and expansions for free on a regular basis, and the newest game to be given away if Mass Effect 2. There's no catch, outside of having to have an Origin account. All you need to do to claim your copy is head over to the Origin site [https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/mass-effect/mass-effect-2/standard-edition], log in, and click the "Add to Game Library" button. These games are typically only offered for a limited time, so if you want it, don't wait too long.

When Mass Effect 2 launche din 2010, we gave it a 5/5 launching on March 21, 2017 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/7075-Review-Mass-Effect-2].

[gallery=6753]

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well, that's nice of them.

It's probably a ploy to get people excited for the new title but I enjoy ploys that mean I get free games.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
It still uses BioWare points. (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Now I have two copies on Origin....They should really fix that bug.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If its on origin then its never free, you have to give up a little of yourself to install it.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Worgen said:
If its on origin then its never free, you have to give up a little of yourself to install it.
Better that than people giving their soul and first born to praise at the altar of Steam.

While I can understand them giving Mass Effect 2 for free, while I disagree, it is generally considered the best of the trilogy, I am still kind of surprised they didn't make the first game the On the House title.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
votemarvel said:
Worgen said:
Better that than people giving their soul and first born to praise at the altar of Steam.

While I can understand them giving Mass Effect 2 for free, while I disagree, it is generally considered the best of the trilogy, I am still kind of surprised they didn't make the first game the On the House title.
Except you forgot that origin is owned by ea. And ea has a history, maybe you've forgotten it, but I haven't.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Worgen said:
Except you forgot that origin is owned by ea. And ea has a history, maybe you've forgotten it, but I haven't.
*Fires up Command & Conquer on his Saturn.*

Nope I haven't forgotten EA's past at all and nor am I happy about their purchase of Bioware, who seem to be moving further and further from the style of game that made EA want to buy them in the first place.

A bigger evil though doesn't forgive the worship of a lesser one, Valve can hardly be considered consumer champions after all.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
votemarvel said:
Worgen said:
*Fires up Command & Conquer on his Saturn.*

Nope I haven't forgotten EA's past at all and nor am I happy about their purchase of Bioware, who seem to be moving further and further from the style of game that made EA want to buy them in the first place.

A bigger evil though doesn't forgive the worship of a lesser one, Valve can hardly be considered consumer champions after all.
Valves crimes against the customers are more apathetic then out of willful malice.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Not with every DLC, right? Those damn Bioware points actually hold me back from buying it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, i still have the retail version of it, and got every single dlc, which i got directly from the bioware site. which makes me wonder if they would work for the origin version.

still the best ME title of them all. i really played the crap out of it. more than i have with part 1. and, in my opinion, still has the best soundtrack of them all. "suicide mission" is still epic and just gets you in the mood.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
008Zulu said:
It's worth playing just for The Arrival DLC.
Wha- Is this some kind of cruel prank you're playing on people?

Arrival is in retrospect an advance warning of the colossal failure that was ME3. It sets the whole saga down a deeply misguided path of inevitable defeat. It dispenses with actual choices and makes a smug virtue out of its railroading ("A whole bunch of folks are about to die! Warn them, Y/N?" "Hahahahaha, you CAN'T warn them in time!"). It takes mistaken liberties with your character in "cinematic" cutscenes based on its own gameplay limitations (the "stealth" challenge). And it even removes the companions, because what kind of Mass Effect player cares about those, right?

By a curious coincidence, it was also the first instance of a Mac Walters "Lead Writer" credit. For extra appreciation, look up the development timeline and see how deep it squeezed into that of ME3, which some have suggested was maybe a little rushed.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
StatusNil said:
Wha- Is this some kind of cruel prank you're playing on people?
I just like launching an asteroid in to a Mass Relay.

OT; Granted there's a lot of aspects I never liked about ME2 (I am still bitter about losing the 10 million credits I had saved in ME1), but it was fun game. It gave us Mordin Solus.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
News of the day, people will actually complain about being offered free stuff. Honestly, I see why EA would be giving it away, though it seems a bit early, as it is a nice way to draw people in before Andromeda, but what is up with people complaining about having the option of getting a free game? I mean, you could just elect to not get it?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, i have just checked it out and it does come with the entire lot. all weapons pack, costumes, and every mission like kasumi, overlord, etc.
unexpected to be honest but certainly not complaining about it.

PPB

May 25, 2009
votemarvel said:
I was wondering about this myself as it feels strange to give away the 2nd game of a trilogy. But when you consider how different 2 and 3 are from 1, it becomes a bit more logical. The first ME has always been the black sheep of the family for a variety of reasons, both good and bad, and I reckon they want people to be familiar with their updated vision of the games.