You Can Now Buy Digital Downloads of Nintendo Games via Amazon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You Can Now Buy Digital Downloads of Nintendo Games via Amazon

Amazon has partnered with Nintendo to sell eShop titles on it's storefront.

Amazon users in the US and Canada can now purchase digital versions of Nintendo's catalog - as well as various DLCs and paid apps - that were previously only available on its own proprietary Nintendo eShop. Games purchased through Amazon's new storefront [http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&node=12597678011&tag=sec2002-20&linkId=GKDTG4JYDW7JJH3L] will be automatically redeemed after linking up your 3DS and Wii U Nintendo Network ID with the service.

For now, both Amazon and Nintendo's eShop are seeing pricing parity on all of its products, although Amazon traditionally has sales and deals on older stock, which is something we may possibly see in the future for Nintendo games.

That's all the information we have on the new service right now, but we've reached out to Amazon and Nintendo for more info.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/01/nintendo-digital-download-store-amazon/]

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Something Amyss said:
So are these still tied to one console, or are they tied to your Amazon account/Nintendo ID?
For a couple years (if my memory serves), it's to your NNID. So if you get a new Wii U/3DS, follow the "transfer" details that show up on screen. If you get a new console because the system broke, it takes a call to Nintendo Tech Support.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
InsanityRequiem said:
For a couple years (if my memory serves), it's to your NNID. So if you get a new Wii U/3DS, follow the "transfer" details that show up on screen. If you get a new console because the system broke, it takes a call to Nintendo Tech Support.
Then same deal as before, and I'll be sitting it out.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Oh. Neat.

Wait...

Steven Bogos said:
Amazon users in the US and Canada can now purchase digital versions of Nintendo's catalog - as well as various DLCs and paid apps - that were previously only available on its own proprietary Nintendo eShop.
Well, bollocks. So, this basically means nothing for me and anyone else who are stuck with other Amazons.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
That's good. Sony and MS have sold their prepaid funny money codes on Amazon for a loooong time. It is a great way for someone with an Amazon account to buy stuff off of the consoles' stores without giving Security Incompetence Inc. - Sony, for anyone who just came out from under their rocks - their credit card numbers (or going to the story to get a physical prepaid card).

While they were doing all of that, Nintendo's cards only showed up on Amazon listings as physical items that shipped to your door. They also cost $5-10 more. It was a better deal to just drive, walk or ride a bike to a brick and mortar store and suffer human contact.

Games purchased through Amazon's new storefront will be automatically redeemed after linking up your 3DS and Wii U Nintendo Network ID with the service.
Oooh, I don't if I like that. I hate linking accounts. Amazon's customer service is usually pretty solid (when the third party sellers label their own products correctly), but I foresee at least a few people with headaches in their future from glitches, account hacks, and kids charging out tons of games because mommy and daddy like not having to type out their Amazon password whenever they want to log in.

I guess there are two benefits with Nintendo's deal over the other way. You are not left with extra change in your eshop "wallet" after buying a game. And, you do not have to worry about having enough funny money cards to cover the dumbass sales tax Nintendo has to charge on their eshop stuff. (It wouldn't bother me if the stores I'm buying the cards from charged the tax, but getting home to find you are $1.30 short, because Nintendo wants to look good for the gubment, kinda blows.)