You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

The <a href=http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary/Oxford-Dictionaries-Staff/e/9780199601080?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Concise%20Oxford%20English%20Dictionary-_-9780199601080>Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially been updated with a healthy dose of internet lingo.

Published this month, the twelfth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include over 400 new words. Among them are "retweet," "woot," "noob," "cyberbullying," "sexting," and many others related to social media and internet culture. "Mankini" also made the cut, thankfully.

"Retweet that picture of me in my mankini or I'll sext and cyberbully you, noob!" is now a proper English sentence.

The dictionary has also been updated with new definitions for the words "follower" and "friend" - the latter being ridiculously diluted by a certain social network. These additions, according to the folks behind it, "are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

It's important to note many of these words were already part of Oxford's online dictionary. The printed version in which these additional words will appear requires more time and deliberation between volumes.

So, what does this mean for you, the gamer?

If you've played Call of Duty: Black Ops for, oh, any period of time, you've certainly encountered homophobic, sexist, and racist children (and adults, too, sadly) who spit countless internet epithets your way without regard for the English language.

Well, they're still homophobic, sexist, and racist. But now, thanks to the modernization of the dictionary, many of their insults will at least constitute proper English. So there's that.

Source: Oxford Dictionaries via <a href=http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001>Digital Life

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
mariofan1000 said:
Ninja'd by the first comment. Plus it's low content.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's good in moderation, but these things can ruin a language, it's already ruined Swedish spelling.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
mariofan1000 said:
If there was ever a reason for a low content post,
this is it.

Woot. I like woot. Do you like woot? Woot with me now my wooters.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

That... that's not true, is it?

Oh god it is. What have we become.

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
Languages evolve, and to remain relevant, dictionaries must evolve with their corresponding languages.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
King Toasty said:
lunncal said:

That... that's not true, is it?

Oh god it is. What have we become.
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I just got an amusing image of how people will speak in the next few decades. Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Whilst the evolution of language is inevitable, there's nothing that says I can't bloody detest it.

I'll take that woot and shove it right past that mankini so hard that they'll be retweeting until they have it surgically removed.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Grmph, took me 5 minutes to get that "retweed" had nothing to do with whatever ret-weed was supposed to be on the internet but has to do with Twitter.

Woot, I'm a noob. Please don't cyberbully me. Kthx.
By Ceiling Cat, if kthx isn't in that dictionary I swear I'm going to buy the one from Cambridge!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Abengoshis said:
AHA! This means I have more words for scrabble. :D
i hadnt realised. hooray!
well, at least that the language of the internet is improving. by making language our ***** and conforming to us.
is our next act to change the value of pi to 3.1416?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
If you're going to blame anyone, blame internet culture, for it being so popular. The guys and gals at Oxford Dictionary are only doing what is required of any dictionary, updating it with new words as our language evolves.

It's not the end of the world.

It's just a definition.

Get over it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I remember when woot was supposed to be a victory cry meaning 'take all the Women & Treasure' (a sideways ampersand looks like two 00's in certain fonts) Least the first time i heard it, in the long long ago, that's how it was explained to me. I think this was in 97 or 98 I believe it was the first tribes game.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Kimarous said:
I just got an amusing image of how people will speak in the next few decades. Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read all day. Good show sir.