You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

megamanenm

Apr 7, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I love this. The English language is ever-evolving and it's good that professional linguists understand this and act on it. That doesn't mean that text language should be permitted as a way of writing, nor should spelling or grammar be changed, but new-age words being included in the dictionary? Hell yes!

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
I can't wait till "Sexting" wins a game of scrabble somewhere...

W00t is gone so mainstream now, I need a new expression of joy.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
If a word becomes commonplace to use then it should be in the dictionary. That is the entire purpose of a dictionary. A record of words in our language.

I hear noob constantly, therefore it should be in the dictionary.

megamanenm

Apr 7, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:

Well from the way you worded that you said that Oxford invented English. And it's not like they're adding words used exclusively as an in-joke from a small forum or something, they're including words that are now widely known by people who frequent the internet.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:

Well from the way you worded that you said that Oxford invented English. And it's not like they're adding words used exclusively as an in-joke from a small forum or something, they're including words that are now widely known by people who frequent the internet.
It just infuriates me is all. Next thing you know "PWND" or "PWNS" will you in there.

megamanenm

Apr 7, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:

It just infuriates me is all. Next thing you know "PWND" or "PWNS" will you in there.
Tell me, what exactly makes you so angry about this?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:

Tell me, what exactly makes you so angry about this?
I get angry because this is the type of language used when an Xbox Live addict kills a noob or is killed and called one. "Woot, I pwnd u"

It is also the same language teenagers on Facebook use. I already hate Facebook for having too many douchebags there, hearing that the language they use is part of mine is unacceptable.

Feb 13, 2008
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
lunncal said:
The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
I'm sure many others in the past also said the same thing about words we use every day without compunction.
Like Xerox, Hoover etc.

Or color. I hear they're even putting that misspelt word in there. ;)

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Amphoteric said:
If a word becomes commonplace to use then it should be in the dictionary. That is the entire purpose of a dictionary. A record of words in our language.

I hear noob constantly, therefore it should be in the dictionary.
Have you considered getting better at games?

lol jks

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, I stopped being surprised about this sort of thing when 'Bouncebackability' was officially recognised as a word.

Jun 24, 2009
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate. Slang terms like that change too much to be included in a dictionary.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
"noob" belongs. Though I'm honestly not sure what the fuck is going on with these news stories about "britneyfication" (a term that no one has ever used and which will clearly die out) and "retweet" (a term that no one has ever used in any other context than on Twitter and that will clearly die on when the site does) being included. I'd like to assume they're bullshit but that was be a bit presumtious. Surely there must be a full story though, right? Right?!