You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

ExplosiveTiger

Jul 4, 2011
Amphoteric said:
If a word becomes commonplace to use then it should be in the dictionary. That is the entire purpose of a dictionary. A record of words in our language.

I hear noob constantly, therefore it should be in the dictionary.
I believe "newbie" is in the Oxford dictionary, same word really.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Brian Albert said:
You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

The <a href=http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary/Oxford-Dictionaries-Staff/e/9780199601080?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Concise%20Oxford%20English%20Dictionary-_-9780199601080>Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially been updated with a healthy dose of internet lingo.

Published this month, the twelfth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include over 400 new words. Among them are "retweet," "woot," "noob," "cyberbullying," "sexting," and many others related to social media and internet culture. "Mankini" also made the cut, thankfully.

"Retweet that picture of me in my mankini or I'll sext and cyberbully you, noob!" is now a proper English sentence.

The dictionary has also been updated with new definitions for the words "follower" and "friend" - the latter being ridiculously diluted by a certain social network. These additions, according to the folks behind it, "are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

It's important to note many of these words were already part of Oxford's online dictionary. The printed version in which these additional words will appear requires more time and deliberation between volumes.

So, what does this mean for you, the gamer?

If you've played Call of Duty: Black Ops for, oh, any period of time, you've certainly encountered homophobic, sexist, and racist children (and adults, too, sadly) who spit countless internet epithets your way without regard for the English language.

Well, they're still homophobic, sexist, and racist. But now, thanks to the modernization of the dictionary, many of their insults will at least constitute proper English. So there's that.

Source: Oxford Dictionaries via <a href=http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001>Digital Life

Every new word started off as a slang word. Then, if more and more people started to use it, it became common, and after a few years or maybe a generation, it became part of the language.
That's how things go with languages.

If these words will stop being used then they will not be put in the new dictionaries and will disappear from the language.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Some people are really overreacting. It's just written in the dictionary, it's not like the language is ruined now. It simply has additional words.
I bet in the past, there have always been people who have reacted like many in this thread when new words had been added to the dictionary, words which are normal to us now. A language always changes, get over it.
Most people who think those words aren't worthy of being written in there, just think like that because these words are new and they haven't seen them being used anywhere else except childish situations. Just because at the moment these words are mostly used in online games and internet forums, doesn't mean that it will stay like that forever. What if in 30 years, "noob" is a common word, that's being used in everyday language?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
lunncal said:
The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
I'm sure many others in the past also said the same thing about words we use every day without compunction.
Yes, and I have nothing against that. When a word is commonly used, it has every right to be in the dictionary.

... but: [HEADING=2]Bootylicious!?[/HEADING]

No true human has ever spoken that word apart from to condemn its usage. It should not be in the dictionary.

[sub]And now I need to go take a shower because I typed it again.[/sub]

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
awesome in some contexts, but not so awesome in others... maybe now i can stop being my parents dictionary for these words... w00t

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Sure words like woot and noob are perfectly fine in my opinion but words like retweet shouldn't be in there since it's only relevant to twitter.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Noob is a good addition, since it has widespread use throughout gaming culture, and has already deviated somewhat from it's original sole meaning of "newcomer".

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Randomeaninglessword said:
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate. Slang terms like that change too much to be included in a dictionary.
and what constitutes a legitimate word? And who decides? Language is not one of those things where "proper language" will change when a dictionary organization decides to update its vocab list.

Language will not, and cannot be regulated, only taught.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Randomeaninglessword said:
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate.
Then... what makes a word legitimate? Being used a lot by people who wear ties and drink wine? A dictionary is supposed to reflect language, not dictate it.

I'm angrier at the inclusion of cyberbullying. I'm tired of cyber- being used as a prefix to mean 'the word that follows, only through/near a computer'.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
xXAsherahXx said:
I get angry because this is the type of language used when an Xbox Live addict kills a noob or is killed and called one. "Woot, I pwnd u"

It is also the same language teenagers on Facebook use. I already hate Facebook for having too many douchebags there, hearing that the language they use is part of mine is unacceptable.

STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE
Fix'd.
OT: This is neat that they are trying to keep up with the times. English is an incredibly adaptable language and it's fun to watch things change and evolve.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Languages change.
]

You, good sir hath procceded to obtain thy internets!

OT: Yeh, I fully agree with the fact that language changes. Did you know that the word humbug used to be as bad as c**t, now its a name of a sweet shop near where I live.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Didn't all words in teh dictionary begin as some slang term that common regular people used?

Also, when will 'teh' become an acceptable alternate spelling of 'the'?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Adamantium rage...building! Cannot...contain...urge to kill!! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBUISgnYpTQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s]

14 hours, three ice packs and an anger management session later...

RAPE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WILL YOU, I'LL KILL YOU!! I'll kill all of you, you'll get the gas!!

[The Great JT has been restrained in a mental hospital until some time has passed and this much raw stupid has had some time to blow over.]

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:

Languages change.
Funny, I suppose there wasn't a word for small or purse in the age of Shakespeare. We still resist slang and call it unkempt, I will do the same with this.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Some of these words are a bit questionable... but it's nice to see dictionaries keeping up. My personal favourite addition to recent dictionaries would be Google [http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/google]. It's a verb now.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
I don't really understand why all these times warrant stories. The 'dictionary' is huge and over multiple volumes. There is everything from formal to colloquial in those volumes. The purpose of the dictionary is to record language, not legitimise it. Woot and others may be in the dictionary, but it doesn't mean those words are appropriate in an academic report, in politics, at the family dinner table, or in front of your parents. So what exactly is the reason for these articles, when there aren't and weren't the same for the thousands of other slang terms already entered?