You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
Upon reading this article, I just feel like my English teachers are huddled up in a corner, crying themselves to sleep.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Damn you, internet! You're ruining the English language! I refuse to believe "woot" is an actual word.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
lunncal said:
King Toasty said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
That... that's not true, is it?

Oh god it is. What have we become.
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
A Canadian watching England stuggle with their language is like a kid watching their granpa go senile. :c

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
The Great JT said:
Adamantium rage...building! Cannot...contain...urge to kill!! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBUISgnYpTQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s]

14 hours, three ice packs and an anger management session later...

RAPE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WILL YOU, I'LL KILL YOU!! I'll kill all of you, you'll get the gas!!

[The Great JT has been restrained in a mental hospital until some time has passed and this much raw stupid has had some time to blow over.]
Sir, I must respectfully ask you to kindly look at the post I am quoting beneath this quote.

Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
This is the most brilliant response I've seen in my many years on the internet.

Congratulations Sir, you know are the proud owner of a internet.

IncredibleTurnip

Feb 27, 2011
W00t was the Merriam Webster's 2007 word of the year, also. If it's a word, at least spell in with letters. I mean where is "*%$@#&!" (noun: expression of grief or malice) going to be in the dictionary? Before "A"? After "Z"? In "A" as asterisk starts with an "A"?

This is madness! MADNESS!!!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Woot? WOOT?! They're willing to do this to our precious language?!

...and I won't even axe why they haven't added embiggen yet.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
The thread should really end right here. Languages change. Get over it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Brian Albert said:
You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

The <a href=http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary/Oxford-Dictionaries-Staff/e/9780199601080?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Concise%20Oxford%20English%20Dictionary-_-9780199601080>Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially been updated with a healthy dose of internet lingo.

Published this month, the twelfth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include over 400 new words. Among them are "retweet," "woot," "noob," "cyberbullying," "sexting," and many others related to social media and internet culture. "Mankini" also made the cut, thankfully.

"Retweet that picture of me in my mankini or I'll sext and cyberbully you, noob!" is now a proper English sentence.

The dictionary has also been updated with new definitions for the words "follower" and "friend" - the latter being ridiculously diluted by a certain social network. These additions, according to the folks behind it, "are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

It's important to note many of these words were already part of Oxford's online dictionary. The printed version in which these additional words will appear requires more time and deliberation between volumes.

So, what does this mean for you, the gamer?

If you've played Call of Duty: Black Ops for, oh, any period of time, you've certainly encountered homophobic, sexist, and racist children (and adults, too, sadly) who spit countless internet epithets your way without regard for the English language.

Well, they're still homophobic, sexist, and racist. But now, thanks to the modernization of the dictionary, many of their insults will at least constitute proper English. So there's that.

Source: Oxford Dictionaries via <a href=http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001>Digital Life

Mankini's inclusion is far more important than any of that nonsense.

I remember my parents' monstrous dictionary that sat on its own pedastle in the living room when I was a kid informed me that "careful speakers do not use 'ain't." This didn't deter my racist, sexist, homophobic aunt from using "ain't."

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
A word is just a sound which carries meaning... So, yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Among all these, I only find "cyberbullying", "retweet" to be acceptable. Also, I tolerate "woot" and "sexting" to some extent, but only if they're clearly labelled to be an "abbreviation" and a "contraction" respectively.
An example of a good definition, to me, would be: "Woot: Internet/SMS language slang, abbreviation of "We Own the Other Team", a vindictive phrase to express success in a competitive environment, such as traditional sports or its place of origin, eSports, but can be used as an onomatopoeia to express content, due to its pronunciation being similar to a whooping sound."

I really hope this helps - to some extent - young people could create much more imaginative stories when asked to in a scholastic environment. (Not so sure about using "woot" in an essay though.)

EDIT: I don't know if many people would find this related, but here it goes:

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Abengoshis said:
AHA! This means I have more words for scrabble. :D
That is the most optimistic outlook on this whole thing I've ever seen. I like it. Way to stay positive. And that is so going to annoy the crap out of my girlfriend the next time I play Scrabble with her. Heh.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Along with "that's what she said", the younger generation has no idea how old the term "woot" actually is.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
lunncal said:
King Toasty said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
That... that's not true, is it?

Oh god it is. What have we become.
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
You're proud of your country for GOOD LANGUAGE?

Man, you need a new country, English has the purity of a street hooker and always has.

Speaking in general, this is probably the same reaction certain snobs had to the radical shifts in language that shakespeare started (ex. turning every noun into a verb).

Randomeaninglessword said:
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate. Slang terms like that change too much to be included in a dictionary.
You realize that pretty much all modern english used to be slang at some point right? The rest was stolen from other languages.

Son of a Mitch said:
Upon reading this article, I just feel like my English teachers are huddled up in a corner, crying themselves to sleep.
And that makes me happy, because we are letting language change instead of leaving it to the province of 17th century shut-ins that were in love with latin.

Also, you all need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY&feature=player_embedded

His commentary about the people that expect his support PARTICULARLY apply to most of the people in this thread.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
AdumbroDeus said:
lunncal said:

Man, you need a new country, English has the purity of a street hooker and always has.

Speaking in general, this is probably the same reaction certain snobs had to the radical shifts in language that shakespeare started (ex. turning every noun into a verb).
I was proud of my country for many reasons, but I've always known that our language was a mix of many different ones and yes, that it is completely different to what it used to be. I have nothing against any of the words in the first post of this thread getting into the dictionary.
No, the reason I can't be proud any more, is...

[HEADING=2]BOOTYLICIOUS[/HEADING][sub]They seriously let a word that is a combination of "Booty" and "Delicious" into our language, and that is unforgivable.[/sub]​

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Kimarous said:
Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".
...you sir, just made my day...

OP: Yeah! Now I can use internet lingo in class and not get the evil eye from teachers! W00T!

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
lunncal said:
AdumbroDeus said:
lunncal said:

I was proud of my country for many reasons, but I've always known that our language was a mix of many different ones and yes, that it is completely different to what it used to be. I have nothing against any of the words in the first post of this thread getting into the dictionary.
No, the reason I can't be proud any more, is...

[HEADING=2]BOOTYLICIOUS[/HEADING][sub]They seriously let a word that is a combination of "Booty" and "Delicious" into our language, and that is unforgivable.[/sub]​
Well, I find your linguistic snobbery unforgivable, please leave my country, we'll be better off. I like my country bootylicious.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
AdumbroDeus said:
Well, I find your linguistic snobbery unforgivable, please leave my country, we'll be better off. I like my country bootylicious.
Hmph, we're clearly not going to agree on this, so any further argument would be pointless. Before I go, though, I'll just recommend you take a long shower. It's the only method I've found to alleviate the itchy-unclean feeling you get after typing that word.