You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The biggest question of course is what exactly the official definitions of these words will be. Does anyone know what Woot really means? Will noob be ascribed the incorrect definition of newbie? Will the interenet even give a damn and look up the definition either way?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
When I read the thread title I just thought of how many awesome things I picked up from woot.com. I forgot it was an actual word.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
I remember hearing a few years ago they also added "Krunk" to the dictionary. These are strange times indeed.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
lunncal said:
AdumbroDeus said:
Well, I find your linguistic snobbery unforgivable, please leave my country, we'll be better off. I like my country bootylicious.
Hmph, we're clearly not going to agree on this, so any further argument would be pointless. Before I go, though, I'll just recommend you take a long shower. It's the only method I've found to alleviate the itchy-unclean feeling you get after typing that word.

Lol
Last Hugh Alive said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
I remember hearing a few years ago they also added "Krunk" to the dictionary. These are strange times indeed.

They're always strange times.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Abengoshis said:
AHA! This means I have more words for scrabble. :D
That is the most optimistic outlook on this whole thing I've ever seen. I like it. Way to stay positive. And that is so going to annoy the crap out of my girlfriend the next time I play Scrabble with her. Heh.
This is actually the first thing I thought of. Hopefully, I can get my Husband to play Scrabble with me again. He doesn't like to play anymore, because he doesn't tend to win. "That's not a proper word!" he'll say. Then I'll pull out the new dictionary,...

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
Wow, this thread is retarded. The Dictionary is a record of the English language as it is used.
Just because a word isn't in the dictionary doesn't mean it's proper English. Conversely, just because a word is in the Dictionary, doesn't mean one must facilitate the usage of any of the aforementioned words.

The idea that "it's not in the Dictionary, therefore it's not an English word," is based on a faulty premise and the fact that the Dictionary has lagged behind everyday English usage for centuries.