You Can Now Make Your Claim in the Sony PS3 OtherOS Settlement

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can Now Make Your Claim in the Sony PS3 OtherOS Settlement

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1355/1355893.jpgThe long-running Sony "OtherOS" class-action lawsuit has resulted in a settlement, and you can make your claim now.

For those of you who owned the launch model of the PS3, you might remember that you once had the ability to install Linux on your console. But in 2010, Sony removed support for the feature. Later that year, a class-action suit was filed against them. It took six years, but you can now finally file a claim in the suit.

The settlement terms include Sony paying out up to $55 to affected PS3 owners, but there are conditions on the payments. Chief among thos is that only those who bought a new "fat" PS3 between November 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010 are eligible.

To receive $55, you'll not only have to provide proof of purchase for a qualifying PS3, you'll also need to provide proof that you used OtherOS features. That means you'll need a proof of purchase for a qualifying version of Linux or a screenshot of the OS running on your PS3, for example.

If you never used the OtherOS functionality, but intended to, you can file a claim to receive a payment of $9. You'll still to prove that you purchased a qualifying PS3, and you'll have to attest for the record that you "lost value or desired functionality or believe they were otherwise injured."

Once you've filed your claim, you'll have to sit back and wait a little longer. The final approval hearing is currently set for January 24, 2017, but that doesn't account for any possible appeals. If those materialize, it could be a year or more before payments are sent out.

You can get all of the info on the settlement, and file a claim of your own, by visiting the official settlement website [http://www.otherossettlement.com/index].

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Wow, just prove the unprovable for pocket change.
Well that didn't even tickle sony at all.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
"proof of purchase for a qualifying version of Linux or a screenshot of the OS running on your PS3, for example"
Who the hell would keep screenshots like that for 10 years? Or even take them in the first place?

Either way, if someone bought a PS3 to use it specifically with Linux for a server/remote rendering box or w/e, $55 isn't gonna help much, considering they spent $600 on a piece of equipment they could no longer use.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm pretty sure I got my fat ps3 between June and November 2006, and I know I never used Linux but even if I had I'd be boned as I don't have a habit of keeping receipts for things I bought over 10 years ago and then take screen shots for posterity after I install a new OS on them..

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think for a fair number of Linux users, not having to own a commercial copy of their software is part of the appeal. And that being the case, the likelihood of their having a screenshot of it running on their PS3 is pretty low...

...All in service of maybe somewhere up the road receiving a settlement that will maybe buy them a single PS4 game.

That's a lot of hoops and hurdles in service of a maybe.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is going to be a difficult proof for most people. Luckily, they allow messageboard discussions, so I was able to give several examples to prove that I at one point had PS3 Linux installed. I can't imagine everyone will be so lucky, though.

P.S. Thanks

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
"Now, let me just dig up my receipt from 10 years ago..." - said no one ever!

To be fair, that's my personal circumstance anyway.
I wonder how many people can honestly say they are holding onto receipts for their entertainment devices that are bordering on 10+ years?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
the.chad said:

I wonder how many people can honestly say they are holding onto receipts for their entertainment devices that are bordering on 10+ years?
Asking a receipt isn't really practical no, but if purchased online you still may have a digital version in the store account.
Also they could give out a serial number range that's eligible.

Asking proof of using otherOS seems only fair to me, if you were affected by the change you deserve the pay out.
But if not, and it's just like "hey free money" then no (way to much class actions are like that)
And if you just played games, the removal of OtherOS was likely to be mostly beneficial.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
the.chad said:

I wonder how the people who pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever feel about not existing :p

Still, isn't that only about a tenth of what a PS3 cost?