You Can Now Play Heroes of the Storm as Overwatch's D.Va

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can Now Play Heroes of the Storm as Overwatch's D.Va

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1403/1403899.jpgThe newest character to hit the Heroes of the Storm PTR is D.Va from Overwatch.

When Blizzard kicked off the Nexus Challenge 2.0 event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170221-Heroes-of-The-Storm-Nexus-Challenge-Officer-D-va-Oni-Genji-Overwatch] at the end of last month, we knew there were some D.Va based rewards that players would receive in both games for playing HotS, and now you can play as D.Va in Blizzard's MOBA, at least on the PTR.

D. Va becomes the fifth Overwatch character to make the jump to Heroes, joining, Genji, Lucio, Tracer, and Zarya. As you'd expect, she can fight in either Pilot Mode or Mech mode.

Mech Mode allows her to fight inside her mech until it is destroyed, at which point she is ejected and continues the fight in pilot mode. Killing her mech rewards you with half of a normal hero's experience. She can shoot while moving in Mech Mode, but she moves 15 percent slower.

In Pilot Mode, her basic attacks reduce the cooldown time on her Call Mech ability, and if you happen to kill her in that mode, you'll only get half of a normal hero's experience reward.

Her abilities include the ability to increase movement speed by 125 percent for two seconds, and to damage and knock back any enemies she hits. She can use her Defense Matrix Mode to channel a defensive field that reduces damage dealt by enemy heroes caught in it by 75 percent.

Finally, she can either self-destruct her mech causing "medium to massive damage" in a large area. This blast deals half damage against structures. If she's in pilot mode, she can call in a new mech to pilot.

Her Heroic abilities include a bunny hop that makes her mech invincible or a "Big Shot" that hits all enemies in a line, reducing the cooldown of Call Mech for each enemy hero hit.

You can find all the info on the new PTR patch in this post on the Heroes of the Storm blog [http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20766460/heroes-of-the-storm-ptr-notes-may-8-2017-5-8-2017].

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
When the Diablo 2 Amazon came out, people barely bat an eye, but when an Overwatch charcater comes to HOTS, its news.
I don't think Blizz were paying that much for coverage back then.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
When the Diablo 2 Amazon came out, people barely bat an eye, but when an Overwatch charcater comes to HOTS, its news.
It's almost like Overwatch is a popular new IP and Diablo 2 came out 17 years ago.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BiscuitWheels said:
Samtemdo8 said:
It's almost like Overwatch is a popular new IP and Diablo 2 came out 17 years ago.
Diablo is still relevent today with patches adding to the 3rd game every day.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
BiscuitWheels said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The amazon isn't a playable character in Diablo 3 last time I checked. I love Diablo, it's my favorite Blizzard IP. But it's no where NEAR as relevant as Overwatch these days.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BiscuitWheels said:
Samtemdo8 said:
BiscuitWheels said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The amazon isn't a playable character in Diablo 3 last time I checked. I love Diablo, it's my favorite Blizzard IP. But it's no where NEAR as relevant as Overwatch these days.
Than again the Diablo 2 Necromancer first came out in HOTS than later on he's gonna be playable in Diablo 3.

Perhaps the same will happen to the Amazon.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
BiscuitWheels said:
Samtemdo8 said:
BiscuitWheels said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Besides, I played my amazon with bows and crossbows in D2... that the HOTS Amazon is javelin/spear focussed kind of reduces my interest.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Per what others have said, Overwatch is more popular than Diablo right now. So reporting that "D2 Amazon who's given a name is a hero" is going to generate less hype than "D.vA from Overwatch is a hero." When Blizzard releases D4 (or whatever they're calling their current Diablo project),* chances are the hype machine will swing back to Diablo to an extent.

As for D.VA herself, I'm sold. Kit looks great, I like the Goliath skin you can get for it, and her poke quotes/interactions with the StarCraft characters are gold.

*I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll actually be something like "Diablo Souls," that D3 will keep getting minor patches/development, while the spinoff does its own thing. A sort of Warcraft RTS vs. World of Warcraft scenario.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Samtemdo8 said:
I think Cassia's announcement was just one of poor timing. She was announced at the same time as HotS 2.0, and 2.0 was just such a big talking point, that Cassia kinda fell to the wayside.

Shes a great character, and probably one of my favourites right now. Just such a shame that people barely acknowledge her existence.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Windknight said:
Besides, I played my amazon with bows and crossbows in D2... that the HOTS Amazon is javelin/spear focussed kind of reduces my interest.
For that there's Nova's Amazon skin XD