You Can Now Pre-Load all 80 GB of Gears of War 4 on PC

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can Now Pre-Load all 80 GB of Gears of War 4 on PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1353/1353101.jpgIt's time to start downloading Gears of War 4 on PC - all 80 GB worth.

Microsoft has announced that you can now begin pre-loading the PC version of Gears of War 4. The announcement came in a forum post [https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/gears-of-war-4-for-windows-10---pre-download-announcement/e3217150-080d-482c-acbf-a4fb6a461485/posts] on the game's official site.

The post also advises that you update your Windows 10 install to the newest version using the September 29, 2016 (KB3194496) update. This will update Windows 10 to Version 1607, OS Build 14393.222, and is required to play Gears 4.

Pre-loading on PC is available through the Windows Store to anyone who pre-ordered Gears of War 4 on PC or Xbox One. As was announced at E3, Gears 4 is a Xbox Play Anywhere [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167704-Xbox-Play-Anywhere-Brings-Xbox-Games-to-Windows-10-Starting-with-Gears-of-War-4] title, which means that if you buy it on either PC or Xbox One, you'll get access to a digital copy on the other platform. Apparently, the game will automatically download in the background if you pre-ordered, but it will do so very slowly unless you initiate the download yourself.

Of course, you can't download unless you have the room to store it, and Gears of War 4 will need 80 GB of hard drive space. That's a pretty substantial chunk, coming in at roughly twice the size of The Witcher 3.

Gears of War 4launches on October 11, but if you bought the $100 Ultimate Edition, you can start playing four days early, on October 7.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmmmm... I still don't see it on steam... Kinda feels like they want it to fail.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Worgen said:
Hmmmm... I still don't see it on steam... Kinda feels like they want it to fail.
Why make life easier for gamers when you can just slam your shit marketplace down the throat of any PC gamer who might want an MS backed game?

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
80 gigs for what??... did they model/texture every grain of dirt? did they even heard of something called "compression"?? ask the chumps at bethesda, skyrim occupied less than 4GB on his DVD..

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
80 gigs of WHAT? What exactly is in the game that means it has to be THAT big. It is probably not game play time or content given what the last games provided, and how many more pixels or polys can they cram into models before it is no longer noticeable by the layman?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Lost In The Void said:
Why make life easier for gamers when you can just slam your shit marketplace down the throat of any PC gamer[...]?
I ask myself that every time I start Steam.

OT: I'm happy that someone is trying to muscle in on Valve's monopoly quest, but past windows store releases have had performance issues IIRC so I'll be waiting for reviews on this one, but I remain cautiously optimistic. Also holy shit 80 fucking gigs? That's gonna take a stupidly long time to download on my connection. This had better not be another Titanfall "Oh BTW we put the voice files for every supported language in the download uncompressed because reasons" situation.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
ffronw said:
The post also advises that you update your Windows 10 install to the newest version using the September 29, 2016 (KB3194496) update. This will update Windows 10 to Version 1607, OS Build 14393.222, and is required to play Gears 4.
So... no Windows 7 or...
I mean, if I were to get it, it'd be on Xbox, but still. I don't plan on getting Windows 10 again for a bit because I had some issues.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
enginieri said:
80 gigs for what??... did they model/texture every grain of dirt? did they even heard of something called "compression"?? ask the chumps at bethesda, skyrim occupied less than 4GB on his DVD..
While I don't think that's quite fair considering Skyrim is 5 years old.... ya, that's ridiculous. The Witcher 3 was less than half that and it's probably a much bigger game.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Hmm... if the console version is around ~52 GBs on Xbox One, and this version is around 80, it's leading me to believe the game either has uncompressed texture and audio files or the download is uncompressed itself.

*shrugs*

I'm getting it Xbox One anyways- the last couple of Windows Store games were broke as **** at launch, so I don't expect this to be any different.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Is there a reason why this game is 30 gbs more than even the gigantic monstrosity that is Final Fantasy XIII?

Sep 28, 2016
Oh boy. I guess optimisation was just too much effort, eh? Prove to us that it is worth 80 gigs of important space first. Stop pushing windows 10. Nobody likes you. Make it good and liberal, not clingy like an attention seeking ex.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DeepReaver said:
80 gigs of WHAT? What exactly is in the game that means it has to be THAT big. It is probably not game play time or content given what the last games provided, and how many more pixels or polys can they cram into models before it is no longer noticeable by the layman?
Probably textures. Likely many variations of the same textures. It lets you have variations in surfaces while having fewer layers. Plus side is greater rendering performance along with equal if not better textures than dynamically altered textures. Downside is the huge size of the end product, greater workload, and greater vram requirement. Though I'm just guessing. Could be they decided to go the retarded route and use uncompressed audio files or some shit.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Denamic said:
DeepReaver said:
uncompressed audio files or some shit.
That's my first and only guess based on absolutely nothing.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
major_chaos said:
Lost In The Void said:
Why make life easier for gamers when you can just slam your shit marketplace down the throat of any PC gamer[...]?

OT: I'm happy that someone is trying to muscle in on Valve's monopoly quest, but past windows store releases have had performance issues IIRC so I'll be waiting for reviews on this one, but I remain cautiously optimistic. Also holy shit 80 fucking gigs? That's gonna take a stupidly long time to download on my connection. This had better not be another Titanfall "Oh BTW we put the voice files for every supported language in the download uncompressed because reasons" situation.
Say what you want about valve, but at least steam works and doesn't piss me off too consistently, Which is infinitely more than I can say about MS's last attempt at this sort of thing. I had one game with GFWL and not only did it take me a week to finally get it working, but until I did I couldn't even quit the game normally. Seriously without a functional GFWL account I couldn't even get to the main menu and use the quit game option. If WL didn't feel like working, which was more often than not, I had to alt tab and force it to quit from the task manager. Given what a nightmare that was and MS absolutely refusing to ever learn anything from their mistakes I have absolutely no hope for this platform as a competitor to steam or as a service ayone in their right mind would ever want to use. Also, of course the file size is due to uncompressed sound files or other reasons that boil down to "we couldn't be asked to do it properly." This is MS we're talking about.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
archvile93 said:
major_chaos said:
Lost In The Void said:

Say what you want about valve, but at least steam works and doesn't piss me off too consistently, Which is infinitely more than I can say about MS's last attempt at this sort of thing. I had one game with GFWL and not only did it take me a week to finally get it working, but until I did I couldn't even quit the game normally. Seriously without a functional GFWL account I couldn't even get to the main menu and use the quit game option. If WL didn't feel like working, which was more often than not, I had to alt tab and force it to quit from the task manager. Given what a nightmare that was and MS absolutely refusing to ever learn anything from their mistakes I have absolutely no hope for this platform as a competitor to steam or as a service ayone in their right mind would ever want to use. Also, of course the file size is due to uncompressed sound files or other reasons that boil down to "we couldn't be asked to do it properly." This is MS we're talking about.
I remember the 'fun' I had with GFWL. I remember I bought Bioshock 1 on DVD. Put it in, run the installer, it says something at the end about having to connect to the internet to get some needed files, doesn't explain exactly what, fails.
Okay...
Installer quits and I see about trying to play the game anyway.
Only there is no game.
There is no Start menu folder, no desktop icon.
Curious.
I look in my games install folder...it's not there! What?
I try running the installer again, same thing happens.
Eventually, after about four or five tries, I figure out what's happening.
The retarded installer DELETES THE GAME FOLDER when it fails to get the needed files. And of course it fails, why wouldn't it? I mean, it's not like I had a rock solid internet connection at the time or anything...oh wait, yes I did.
Turns out that the installer tries to download the executable, Bioshock.exe, only it can never ruddy find it.
After a while, I find a solution. I download a crack, but it's not so simple as dropping it in the game folder. Remember, the installer deletes that. So what I end up doing is installing, I wait until the window pops up about going online, then I rename the game folder. The installer fails as per usual, but this time, it doesn't know where the folder is, so it isn't deleted. I un-rename the game folder, drop in my crack and FINALLY I can play the game.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Just to add a dissenting voice- Forza Horizon 3 is wonderful and runs pretty well on my machine. Microsoft seems to be making strides in the right direction. I wouldn't be surprised if the big tent-pole franchises like Forza and Gears run better than we're used to for Win 10 store games because they need them to sell well to make inroads on PC. 80gigs? I'm not thrilled but I've got more than enough room on my SSD for that. And then when I'm done I can just get all that space back.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
An 80gb game where the Single Player can be beaten in 6-8 hours. I don't think Microsoft know how to compress.