You Can Only Use The Wii U GameCube Controllers With Smash Bros. - Update 2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You Can Only Use The Wii U GameCube Controllers With Smash Bros. - Update 2

The Wii U GameCube Controller adapter is compatible with all games that supported any variant of the Wii Classic or Pro controllers.

Update 2: Nintendo responded to our request, and stated that the original listing on the UK store was indeed a mistake. It clarified: "Please note the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software. The adapter is also not compatible with Wii and we apologize for any confusion prompted by our earlier listing"

Update: The listing for the GameCube Controller adapter on the website [http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028551.html] has been changed, and no longer includes the line that states it is compatible with Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, and Wii U Pro Controller titles. We have reached out to Nintendo for clarification.

Original Story: A listing for the Wii U GameCube Controller adapter on GameCube Controller adapter [http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028551.html].

This is great news, as it was previously believed that the adapter would only function with the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137882-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-Releases-on-November-21], but supporting games that use the Classic and Pro controllers means that the vast majority of Wii and Wii U titles will be supported.

The GameCube Controller adapter will be released alongside Super Smash Bros., as a stand-alone purchase, or in a bundle with a copy of the game and an additional GameCube controller. It plugs into the two USB ports on the front of the Wii U, and allows up to four GameCube controllers to be used with the system.

Nintendo is also releasing some new Super Smash Bros. themed controllers to go with the new title.

Curiously, the listing also states that the adapter works with the older Wii console, which already contains ports for four GameCube controllers.

Source: Nintendo UK [http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028551.html]

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have got to check this out! Sounds fun. I still have a wavebird I'd love to use for Resident Evil 4.

Sep 14, 2009
LOL R.I.P. using any of the other control methods from now on....

Nintendo is about to make a buttload on gamecube controller purchases

edit:

Just saw the update.....

R.I.P. any interest nintendo had in me getting a wiiU

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Kinda seems like a stretch, but with Nintendo acknowledging the popularity of the Gamecube controller, I cannot help but wonder if the sales would have any effect on what their next console might be down the pipeline.

Let me know if that makes absolutely no sense. Either way, I already have the Smash Bros. bundle preordered. And if this is to be believed, it would render the purchase of a Pro controller unnecessary.

Update: Fiddlesticks.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Nintendo have since retracted this statement according to EuroGamer. The controller is only compatible with Smash Bros

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Given the USB plugs, if they make this compatible with the PC, I'm certain that Nintendo just made many a happy person, and they'll see a lot more sales involving non-owners of the Wii U. If not, well, give it a few weeks and custom drivers for PC and other systems will come out for it...

Millky95

Nov 19, 2009
I wish they would make the Gamecube controller the standard Nintendo controller. It's just so different from the others that it would be a better image for Nintendo

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nintendo could use front-end patches on their system to enable Gamecube controller support for other WiiU titles fairly easily. They should seriously consider doing so to give this adapter some further purpose and value.

That way, they avoid situations like this, where they blueball everyone wanting Gamecube controllers back (which is, IMO, still their best controller to date).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Nintendo, so does it work with other games or not? Was this a an accidental leak? I don't know why they wouldn't just announce compatibility for the get go. Is testing still going on before they decide whether to make it official? It sure would sell more 'cube controllers and these boxes, too.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
With the GameCube controller compatibility, Nintendo could make a patch to their Wii emulator to allow GameCube games to be played again. And that would be fantastic.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Curiously, the listing also states that the adapter works with the older Wii console, which already contains ports for four GameCube controllers.
Only if you have the Gen 1 model:

Source [http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2650/~/what-is-the-difference-between-the-models-of-wii-consoles%3F]

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Other_models

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Dr.Awkward said:
Given the USB plugs, if they make this compatible with the PC, I'm certain that Nintendo just made many a happy person, and they'll see a lot more sales involving non-owners of the Wii U. If not, well, give it a few weeks and custom drivers for PC and other systems will come out for it...
I doubt it. Wii Speak used USB but Nintendo never released drivers for that as and far as I'm aware, no one was ever able to get it to work. Then again, Wii Speak was kinda dumb to begin with; providing this functionality for PC certainly would get them some extra sales and goodwill. I hope for the best, but I can't realistically see it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
happy_turtle said:
Nintendo have since retracted this statement according to EuroGamer. The controller is only compatible with Smash Bros
Which honestly seems dumb, because while I understand that they want the GamePad to be used more, if they aren't going to use it and there are better controller methods, use those. Seriously, I've not used the GamePad for any full Wii U game I have, and I have over 18 of them. The only time I use it is when I'm forced to use it because I have no other choice. For example, I've played through 3D World 100% twice, and only used the GamePad for the Captain Toad sections, and for the 3 or so levels that actually require it.

Artemicion said:
With the GameCube controller compatibility, Nintendo could make a patch to their Wii emulator to allow GameCube games to be played again. And that would be fantastic.
Technically the Wii U already can play GameCube games. The Wii U's hardware is nothing more than upgraded Wii hardware, and Wii hardware was upgraded GameCube hardware. That's why the backwards compatibility on the Wii was entirely accurate. It's the OS that blocks the system from reading mini-DVDs and as such reading GameCube games. Originally since there was no way to plug in a GameCube controller, the ability to play them was blocked out. With this adapter, they have no excuse for that now.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
YES!, the GameCube lives!11!!!! :D

... Although technically speaking, it's been alive for a good 13 years, the Wii uses a slightly modified version of the GameCube's architecture and the WiiU is still capable of playing Wii games, so... yeah, we've finally come full circle :)

Also, what about the Wii games that used the GameCube controller and the Classic Controller, will it simply detect it as a GC controller?.

EDIT: Goddamit Ninty, why did you crush my soul like that!?, it can only be used with Smash :(

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
Well, I still own my GC and a copy of Melee and Soul Calibur 2... I'd be pretty happy to emulate it and use the GC controllers, instead of the 360 ones, they're not bad controller mind you, some of the best I've ever used, but it's just not the same to play GC games without a GC controller :)

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
actually nintendo updated this and said it's only compatible with the super smash brother gamr on wiiu and nothing else

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Neronium said:
Technically the Wii U already can play GameCube games. The Wii U's hardware is nothing more than upgraded Wii hardware, and Wii hardware was upgraded GameCube hardware. That's why the backwards compatibility on the Wii was entirely accurate. It's the OS that blocks the system from reading mini-DVDs and as such reading GameCube games. Originally since there was no way to plug in a GameCube controller, the ability to play them was blocked out. With this adapter, they have no excuse for that now.
I was under the impression it couldn't play gamecube games because they didn't put in a disc drive that could take the mini-dvd format. So that combined with the lack of controller and memory card ports makes it more than just a software issue. That's not even taking into account whether there were other hardware aspects involved (specialized memory or video controllers or the like) that they didn't include in the wii u that may have been present in the wii. It'a also worth nothing that just because something is an upgrade of hardware that came before does not mean that software from the older version will work as designed on the upgrade without extensive specialization (the xbox 360's backwards compatibility issues come to mind, along with the myriad of software from the x86 era that simply can't function on modern computers).

To put it another way, the way you put is like complaining that a windows phone can't run a cd-rom game from the late 90s because they don't let you hook up a keyboard through a ps2 port. There's a lot more to it than that.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
I was under the impression it couldn't play gamecube games because they didn't put in a disc drive that could take the mini-dvd format. So that combined with the lack of controller and memory card ports makes it more than just a software issue. That's not even taking into account whether there were other hardware aspects involved (specialized memory or video controllers or the like) that they didn't include in the wii u that may have been present in the wii. It'a also worth nothing that just because something is an upgrade of hardware that came before does not mean that software from the older version will work as designed on the upgrade without extensive specialization (the xbox 360's backwards compatibility issues come to mind, along with the myriad of software from the x86 era that simply can't function on modern computers).

To put it another way, the way you put is like complaining that a windows phone can't run a cd-rom game from the late 90s because they don't let you hook up a keyboard through a ps2 port. There's a lot more to it than that.
The Wii U optical disc drive is a slight modified Wii drive, it is not new tech at all. The Wii U has been hacked to play GameCube games already, by exploiting the Wii Mode of the system. Nintendo does not develop new tech or Disc Drives for any of their systems, and never have, they just modify the drive to play the new discs. There is a lot more to it, but in Nintendo's case it is not impossible for them to put in the compatibility like how it is for the PS4 and the Xbox One.