"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Nile McMorrow said:
YOU CAN BOOST BY BUTTON MASHING THE C ARROWS! followed by I CAN BUTTON MASH?!
-Mischief Makers
This was actually a real treat to learn and blew my mind when I first discovered it's concept. I was stuck on the sports festival/ olympics level/stage in Mischief Makers cause I could never get enough points to win as I always lost in the sprints. Master pretty much everything else but always get screwed at the races causing me to lose. Originally I thought that when ever it mentioned the [> style buttons for boosting and stuff in the tutorials I only thought of using the grey D-Pad to move. However much to my surprise a few years later I discovered that by mashing the C buttons that you could send Maria speeding off in any direction as well as get her to float for a long time in the air. Mind blown and obstacle passed with ease. I then wondered if this phenominal discovery of button mashing could be used in other games which I was estactic to find that it did work.
Holy fuck. Someone else remembers that game? Fuck. Color me surprised. That shit was pure fun in a cartridge, and it had such variety. Big boss battles? Got dat shit. Sprawling levels that cover a crazy amount of different geography and art styles? Got dat shit. Awesome pixel art and an endearing soundtrack? GOT DAT SHIET.

Anyway, my moment is from Jet Force Gemini: DIFFERENT GUNS DO DIFFERENT THINGS?!?!

Hey, I was like, 8 at the time, and I'd only played games at different friends' places and shit. Having my own game box was a new thing to me, and JFG was one of my earliest games.

Klutzz

Hold my beer.
Dec 6, 2010
Most of my "You can do that?!?" moments have already been said, but a friend of mine managed to play through all of Demon's Souls without knowing about the dodge button or parry and riposte function.
Then when he bought Dark Souls, and figured it out, I'm pretty sure he nearly shit himself.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Johnnydillinger said:
I must be the only person on Earth who could finish Jade Empire without realizing that there was a "slow time" ability. AND a ground attack move. Imagine my face on the new game plus, at the beginning, when I kind of accidentally discovered those things. Apparently, I should get back to reading the manual first and play the game after that from now on.
You can do what!?

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Mass Effect 1, in the Mako: I CAN ZOOM?!?!

Deus Ex: I CAN BLOCK TRIP LASERS WITH PEPPER SPRAY?! Among many others. That game is fantastic.

Freelancer: I CAN KILL MY ENGINES AND JOUST IN CRUISE SPEED?!

AC1: I CAN COUNTER-KILL WITH THE HIDDEN BLADE?!

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
Nile McMorrow said:
YOU CAN BOOST BY BUTTON MASHING THE C ARROWS! followed by I CAN BUTTON MASH?!
-Mischief Makers
This was actually a real treat to learn and blew my mind when I first discovered it's concept. I was stuck on the sports festival/ olympics level/stage in Mischief Makers cause I could never get enough points to win as I always lost in the sprints. Master pretty much everything else but always get screwed at the races causing me to lose. Originally I thought that when ever it mentioned the [> style buttons for boosting and stuff in the tutorials I only thought of using the grey D-Pad to move. However much to my surprise a few years later I discovered that by mashing the C buttons that you could send Maria speeding off in any direction as well as get her to float for a long time in the air. Mind blown and obstacle passed with ease. I then wondered if this phenominal discovery of button mashing could be used in other games which I was estactic to find that it did work.
Holy fuck. Someone else remembers that game? Fuck. Color me surprised. That shit was pure fun in a cartridge, and it had such variety. Big boss battles? Got dat shit. Sprawling levels that cover a crazy amount of different geography and art styles? Got dat shit. Awesome pixel art and an endearing soundtrack? GOT DAT SHIET.

Anyway, my moment is from Jet Force Gemini: DIFFERENT GUNS DO DIFFERENT THINGS?!?!

Hey, I was like, 8 at the time, and I'd only played games at different friends' places and shit. Having my own game box was a new thing to me, and JFG was one of my earliest games.

Way back when, like the better part of a decade, my dad found a copy of Mischief Makers laying in the street and brought it home for me. I never had an N64 until I bought one late last year and seeing as it was the first N64 game I ever owned I played it first.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Klagermeister said:
YOU CAN GO FASTER THAN THE YETI?

I think that's the most mind blowing to guys who played Ski Free when they were kids.
Death by yeti is not inevitable. You can hold F to outrun him.
Holy sh--

To this day I had no idea, and I played the game to death in the late 90's.

Now I have to go find a download.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
I didn't know that about Ski Free either. I thought that was just a creative way to end the freeware version of the game.

Only found out a couple years back.
---

Mass Effect 2. I never watched any of the advanced tactics videos.
On my second play through I realized you could specify a target by pressing the "move" button while aiming at an enemy. Would have made that first play through much easier.

I'm sure there are a few that I've forgotten about.

Atmos Duality said:
Tribes 2 had one of those, but in reverse for me.
"Wait...missiles don't lock on without a heat signature?"
Does anything other than a vehicle have a heat signature?

I never was able to get a LAN game going with more than 3 players, so I never got to try the missles. (Wish that game had Co-Op). Never played it online until a couple of years ago, after it went free to play.

Traveling Hero

Jun 3, 2012
In Fallout New Vegas, I had wiped out the Legion town of Cottonwood Cove, including the ferryman who takes you to the Fort. Later, Mr. House still gave me the quest to go to the Fort, but I thought I couldn't now. So even though I had been intending to do the House ending, I killed him to clear the quest "House Always Wins" from my quest log. It was weeks later when I found out that I JUST HAD TO LOOK DOWN AT THE RAFT! >:0

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Skyrim claw (I T&E'd Bleak Falls and looked up another one) and Dark Soul jumping.

Reversals in UFC, I figured it was just some technique you unlocked later on, or unique to fighters that let them sweep.

Oh, and the syringe hot key in Far Cry 3.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Sonic CD.
You know how holding down while mashing jump is the spin-dash?
Well, holding up and then holding the jump button makes him quick-charge a run up to his fastest speed, you let the buttons go and ZOOM.
I was like, "Well, I'm using this all the time!"

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
YOU CAN IRON-SIGHT AIM IN BIOSHOCK!?

Yeah, for the pistol, machine gun and crossbow, you can look down the sights...

I had a derp moment that day >.>

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Russirishican said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Lol jontron <3

YOU CAN SHOOT UP? in Cave Story + I felt like a total idiot ><
Related...

YOU CAN SAVE CURLY BRACE? *cue tears of joy and immediate restart of game*

Also jontron? Where?
Jontron did not know you can tongue up or steer the torpedos :p

And agreed on Curly Brace. I felt so guilty after I found that out.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
"YOU CAN STRAFE!?" Ratchet and Clank 2

Found this out on planet jova, this is what the first game feels like.

"YOU CAN RING DASH!?" Sonic Heroes

I love this game so much that I hate it.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I was looking through the controls for STALKER SoC, and apparently there was some way you could through rocks to distract enemies.
Of course, this was after I had beaten the entire game and was finally deciding to alter the multiplayer controls for ease of access.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Monster_user said:
Does anything other than a vehicle have a heat signature?

I never was able to get a LAN game going with more than 3 players, so I never got to try the missles. (Wish that game had Co-Op). Never played it online until a couple of years ago, after it went free to play.
Pay attention to the heat bar on your Jetpack. It's there's for a reason.
If your Jetpack heat reaches above half, you too are a legal target for missiles.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Only one I can think of off the top of my head, is my friend telling me you can hold down the mouse button to move in League of Legends instead of spastically clicking your way everywhere like the ol' Diablo 2 days.

"You can? Well now I feel like a fucking tard."

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Another said:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!
WHAT?! Against every boss i had to keep parrying like hell (a real ***** against Monsoon), and i kept thinking "Oh man, i wish this game had a fucking dodge move". I feel pretty stupid now :/

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
I got all the way to Adon in the first Street Fighter. Years later I learned about all those special attacks like the fireball, dragon punch and such... :)