You Can't Be the Hero If You're the Rapist

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
You Can't Be the Hero If You're the Rapist

Gamers don't bat an eye at violence in murder at games. Why is the crime of rape so different?

Read Full Article

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
THANK god. I haven't read this yet, but i'm glad somebody shares this viewpoint.

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Just responding to the question in the OP: Because murder can be justified.
See also: Dexter.

Rape can never serve a good purpose.

And now to read.
I give you GTA4. Is cutting down civilians justified? Then maybe they should both be banned.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
In answer to the OP (before Reading), I think it's called the protagonist then.
And I don't understand how or why they'd make rape games.

Now for the reading.

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
....... Ok IF this becomes another flame war i'll track you down and kill you

Murder can only be justifyed if you are:

On a battlefield - because the enemy came into the fight knowing they may die
In self defence
Or in other extreme curcumstances

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
WrongSprite said:
MaxTheReaper said:

And now to read.
I give you GTA4. Is cutting down civilians justified? Then maybe they should both be banned.
Technically you aren't forced to cut down civilians.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It needs a spell check, it says "Rape on the other hand, can ever be justified" as opposed to "never", either that or we have all completely misinterpreted the article...

Tenmar said:
Malygris said:
Rape, on the other hand, can ever be justified.
Just pointing out the typo.

Good article. Also a holocaust tycoon? Oh man I can't even imagine the amount of controvery.
You got Ninja'd =P

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
WrongSprite said:
MaxTheReaper said:

And now to read.
Does it matter...? The possibility is there, and you know that a lot of people are going to do it.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
WrongSprite said:
MaxTheReaper said:

And now to read.
Bullseye. It's your choice if you kill any civilians, like it would be in a real city, but there aren't really any consequences. Thus why it is just a game, and does not really merge with real-life.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
I've said it in previous threads...

I'll never ever touch a 'rape' game, however, murder or rape, whats the difference.....both can take and ruin lifes, so why a one sided view point by many.

Flushfacker

Mar 17, 2009
wolfy098 said:

In self defence
I think more to the point on a battlefield it wouldn't be murder because the enemy came to kill you also.

With self defence, surely that would be man slaughter at worst?

Anyways I dont think you can justify either murder or rape going on the lines of 'what gives one the right to do either'

Maybe rape is harder to accept because most of the time it is calculated and or planned against a weak victim which isn't always the case with murder.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Teachingaddict said:
I've said it in previous threads...

I'll never ever touch a 'rape' game, however, murder or rape, whats the difference.....both can take and ruin lifes, so why a one sided view point by many.
Humans, especially men are aggressive creatures, that aggression used to needed in order to survive. Nowadays society doesn't require that aggression as humans are no longer hunter-gatherers or a prey species. This causes the species to remain instinctively aggressive but no longer having an outlet. Violent films/books/games provide an outlet for this aggression (as does martial arts and punch bags) and so people can gratify their need for violence without harming others.

Sexual desire on the other hand is completely different, it has never been necessary to commit rape, it serves no purpose and it is not in (most cases) our instincts to do it. It is also very unlikely that it will satisfy somebody who has the craving for it, at least not permanently and so creating a game has no benefit to anybody and is completely tasteless and offensive.

Mar 17, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:

Sometimes it can, as demonstrated by my dear friend Louis CK:

(I know, it's creeping me out too, I don't know how I can find all of this stuff that is pertinent to our discussion)

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
Flushfacker said:
wolfy098 said:

In self defence
I think more to the point on a battlefield it wouldn't be murder because the enemy came to kill you also.

With self defence, surely that would be man slaughter at worst?

Anyways I dont think you can justify either murder or rape going on the lines of 'what gives one the right to do either'

Maybe rape is harder to accept because most of the time it is calculated and or planned against a weak victim which isn't always the case with murder.
hmm I always thought some would go for the strong ones for a challenge..

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
I think more to the point, a rape game *glorifies* rape and is designed for the player to *get off* on what happens in it.

Games that involve violence tend to either be completely fantastical (we are battling demons, not people) and encourages the idea of "fighting evil"; in most cases where you're perpetrating harm "for the fun of it," the game is clear about putting you in a role of a criminal or in a situation where you are constantly being told something along the lines of "You have lost karma/you are Chaotic Evil" etc.

I somehow have a feeling RapeLay and its ilk doesn't put you in the role of a monster; it in fact normalizes and rewards simulating a horrific act. The violence in video games I don't feel is normalized or shown in a way to make people feel titillated by the experience. I guess some players might feel aroused by engaging in the gameplay violence, who knows, but I doubt that is the developers' intent. I definitely can't say the same for the developers who would develop a rape game.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I think what really burns me is that someone's making a buck off the concept of allowing players to synthesize rape.

That said, I'm not sure that I'd want the game to be free (although, if you can't get it here in America, the only option is the freely illegal one).