Feb 18, 2009
Plurralbles said:
Disaster Button said:
tharwen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
A woman cries abuse and shes a victim.

A man cries abuse and hes weak.
However,

A man sleeps with two women and he's a legend.

A woman sleeps with two men and she's a whore.
This also gets a bit worse when some women will use this situation to show off the unfairness of gender stereotyping but will then proceed to go and actually call another woman a whore for doing it.
I consider both to be whores.
The latter woman is also a hypocrite and is doing more harm to a cause she is trying to use as her defense.

REDACTEDREDACTED

Jan 9, 2009
Disaster Button said:
The point I'm trying to make is that it seems to be a bit of a stigma for men to suffer at the hands of an abusive woman which is insane.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm alone in this thought and what you all think.
No, you're very much correct. Unfortunately, there is no one single problem, and thus, no one solution. There are countless differences between men and women. I think the biggest part is that a greater majority of women are abused by men than vice-versa, so there's a stigma along the lines of "why are you complaining? It happens to women much more often than men!"

Consider the statistics. http://www.aardvarc.org/dv/statistics.shtml#cites
Unfortunately, those are 12 years old, but there should be links to each USA state's statistics here: http://www.aardvarc.org/crimebystate.shtml

Not to get off-topic here, but I'd never seen this statistic before.
"Women who leave their batterers are at 75% greater risk of severe injury or death than those who stay. Source: Barbara Hart, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, 1988."

All the other websites I find quote this statistic...it has to be old, right? I mean, they always tell women to leave their abuser, right?

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
the_bearpelt said:
I would not call it awesome.
I would call it a failure of feminism.
Instead of leveling the playing field, all it seems to have resulted in is for it to pendulum in the other direction.
Because "leveling the playing field" isnt nearly as good as just being in power right?
Disaster Button said:
Domestic abuse cases are more or less split on who is the abuser. But it is true that women are more likely to use emotional abuse which is just as bad as physical abuse. Sadly this kind of abuse is rarely picked up on by the police or whoever when the man actually does try to get help, obviously this is because men don't have emotions.
For physical abuse, it is far less the female, for mental I'd say even leaning closer to females. Woman can be and are often put into psychological traps by their partner, thats just what I have seen though.

We have emotions we just don't show them! So when you break them we hurt but we cant appear hurt otherwise we are a failed warrior and are removed for a better one while the parasite still lingers!

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
I agree with the OP, the societal view and representation of men is disgusting. As always, I bring science to the table so here you go:

Archer (1982): Women are more likely than men to be the perpetrator of domestic violence, but serious violence is more likely to be committed by men.

Digest that. Women are more likely to commit domestic violence. Every time a domestic violence advert plays casting women as the poor victims it's more likely to reach a male victim than female.

Unfortunately the past 40 years (AKA Feminism, disgusting self-righteous movement that it is) has totally skewed public gender perception. In reality, the common 'testosterone makes men violent' bullshit isn't backed up by science, in fact it's disputed by science [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8400172.stm].

This is an issue which seriously angers me, since on the one side we have the fucking morons in the media making gender polarising statements generally presenting men as genetically violent, stupid and evil, yet on the other we have science (Hyde et al (2005) Gender Similarity Hypothesis, University of Wisconsin 46 study meta-analysis) presenting the direct opposite view.

Sgt. WantCuddles said:
I think the biggest part is that a greater majority of women are abused by men than vice-versa, so there's a stigma along the lines of "why are you complaining? It happens to women much more often than men!"
Bollocks, and the justice department statistics are useless in this matter since men are very unlikely to report domestic abuse.

JaredXE said:
tharwen said:
However,

At the same time? Well yeah, and any man who does that is an ass as well. Well, unless it's actually AT the same time, then it's a threesome and it's ok.

But really, usually it's women who call other women names like whore when they are presented as a sexual threat. Women hate and are in constant competition with other women and they will tear down any woman they find threatening.
This. I am 20 now and I have never seen a man seriously allege that a woman is a whore for having multiple partners (ignoring scorned men etc). I have seen women ***** about one another continuously.

the_bearpelt

Dec 26, 2009
Souplex said:
Because it's wrong to hit women, it's ok to hit men.
I personally advocate that if anyone's being enough of a tool to be rewarded with a punch in the face, gender should have no relevance on whether or not they receive it.

Asturiel said:
the_bearpelt said:
I would not call it awesome.
I would call it a failure of feminism.
Instead of leveling the playing field, all it seems to have resulted in is for it to pendulum in the other direction.
Because "leveling the playing field" isnt nearly as good as just being in power right?
Sadly, radical feminists seem to have taken that route. *sigh*

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
has anybody been in a pub. The guy is trying to take his girl home. She gets angry and hits him and storms out, he goes after her, she cries and whines and hits and all of a sudden two guys from the bar come out and beat teh shit out of the guy, assuming he was doing something wrong?

It's a nice little anecdote about how much bullshit this attitude is causing. I just held a door to my dorm open for a girl who was carrying two cases of moutain dew. You know, to be nice because she would have to adjust them in her arms and it was really cold outside. I didn't think about the fact that she was a girl, I did it because it was a nice thing to do which I would be very grateful if anyone did that for me.
I kind of hope she didn't think I was doing it just because of the two boobs staring at me.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Disaster Button said:
tharwen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

However,

This also gets a bit worse when some women will use this situation to show off the unfairness of gender stereotyping but will then proceed to go and actually call another woman a whore for doing it.
Hypocrisy is funny like that. People become hypocrites through nature, pretty much. It's almost a subconscious process.

I agree with what you said in the OP. If you've seen a woman hit a man, it shows that she's not the "weak female stereotype" and is now flag for PvP... wait...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Demented Teddy said:
Souplex said:
Do you honestly think that or just being sarcastic?
It's not right to hit anybody, regardless of gender and you should not get into more trouble for hitting one and less trouble for hitting the other!
A little of both. I can't hit a woman in good conscience, I can hit a man. I was just raised never to hit girls and it kind of stuck. Doesn't mean I think it's right, I was just too well conditioned.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Souplex said:
Demented Teddy said:
Souplex said:
Do you honestly think that or just being sarcastic?
It's not right to hit anybody, regardless of gender and you should not get into more trouble for hitting one and less trouble for hitting the other!
A little of both. I can't hit a woman in good conscience, I can hit a man. I was just raised never to hit girls and it kind of stuck. Doesn't mean I think it's right, I was just too well conditioned.
That's not really the same as wrong and right.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I totally agree!
My friend hits me all the time and I can't do anything about it just because she's a girl! It drives me crazy! Plus on Friday she called me a slut! Double fucking standards man, double standards.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
BGH122 said:
Interesting read, thank you for that.

Oh I'm supposed to respond? Ok.

It's because the general media is switching gears from idolizing men to idolizing woman giving them the upper hand in society. Those who claim this is "equality" is bullshit. Woman who fight for "Equality" shouldn't give two shits about chivalry. Were equal, why should I treat you any better? Do you want children because thats what it boils down to babies, sexual intercourse. Frankly chivalry is just a way that men can appear better so that they can claim their prize that you have.
Sgt. WantCuddles said:
All the other websites I find quote this statistic...it has to be old, right? I mean, they always tell women to leave their abuser, right?
Heh, way I see it, they are abusing them because of something wrong with them. More likely than not they will hunt them down if they leave them and do something about it if not stopped by somebody else, hopefully the law enforcement of the area.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Asturiel said:
It's because the general media is switching gears from idolizing men to idolizing woman giving them the upper hand in society. Those who claim this is "equality" is bullshit. Woman who fight for "Equality" shouldn't give two shits about chivalry. Were equal, why should I treat you any better? Do you want children because thats what it boils down to babies, sexual intercourse. Frankly chivalry is just a way that men can appear better so that they can claim their prize that you have.
Amen. I knew a girl once (the only girl of this type I've never known) who truly understood that equality meant that chivalry had to end and that girls should be able to be hit if, under the same conditions, men would be hit. She was great.

Pyromaniac1337 said:
The only way to change it is to remove "rape" and "domestic violence" from the English language, then everyone will be equal.
I'll presume you're kidding and I don't get the joke because as it that makes no sense: both men and women can be and are the victims of both.

Speaking of it, that's another thing which revolts me; when men are raped we're supposed to find it hilarious. My classmate said that her male friend had been anally raped and was laughing about it with other classmates, I bollocked them for their sexism and lack of empathy and I was treated like the bad guy? Seriously, fuck feminism.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Pyromaniac1337 said:
The only way to change it is to remove "rape" and "domestic violence" from the English language, then everyone will be equal.
What about "salary", "opening doors", "parental rights" and "opinion"?

Jinmasa 8

May 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

its moronic and BS but its soooo sooo true

sometimes i hate socity...other times i get to laugh at it

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Disaster Button said:
Pyromaniac1337 said:
Actually, consistently, salary has been shown to be a non-issue. Women go for lower paying, cushier jobs than men (not just bullshitting: here [http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_17/b4081104183847.htm] and here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Farrell#Why_Men_Earn_More]). It's yet another feminist lie, like the fun ol' feminist lie that domestic violence increases over the super bowl [http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/superbowl.asp].

Okay, I'm starting to sound like a rabid male rights activist now. Although everything I've stated is true.

EDIT: I'd also like to see abortion laws revised so that women need the father's consent to abort the baby; it takes two to make a child and we're both parents.

REDACTEDREDACTED

Jan 9, 2009
Disaster Button said:
Pyromaniac1337 said:
You (sort of) may have a point with salary and opening doors (glass ceiling, etc.) but parental rights? Do you realize how heavily the courts are slanted in favor of the mother? After observing my housemate and his ex's travels through the court system and how the court treated him like a cash dispenser until he managed to pay everything asked of him and then some? Thankfully he got a good judge, who realized quickly that the ex wasn't doing the things she said she was going to do (like get a job) while the housemate was working overtime to provide for his kid.

What do you even mean by "opinion?"

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
While I can't actually get into all that sexism thing, and find women and men crying for equality equally pathetic (same goes for the ongoing racism debates - some one who wants to be treated equal, treats others equal and minds his own business) - the reason that media, espacially adverts of all things, work on a stereotype basis, is simply put a psychological one. Man (the species, NOT the gender)feel that something is "likely" or "realistic" not when it matches the facts, but when it matches their expactations. And when hearing about domestic abuse, what the average person expects is the drunk, frustradted sadistic man, beating his hard-working-in-the-household wife, scaring the children and killing the dog. This may be right, as much as it may be wrong, but as long as that's what people expect, thats what we will get in movies / adverts / campaigns.