You Can't Use PS4 Share in Persona 5

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Can't Use PS4 Share in Persona 5

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1392/1392946.jpgIf you're planning to play Persona 5 on PS4, you should know that you won't be able to use PS4 Share features in the game.

Persona 5 has been out since September 2016 in Japan, but you may have noticed that there's almost no content from the game coming from PS4 Share, with the exception of a few pictures of the menu. There's a good reason that you're not seeing many screenshots and more: Atlus has disabled the sharing feature on PS4 for the majority of the game.

Atlus confirmed to Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/29/15115762/persona-5-ps4-share-disabled] that it had made the decision to prohibit the sue of PS4 Share features, largely because Persona 5 is primarily a story-based game. The company rep said, "This being a Japanese title with solely a single-playthrough story means Japan is very wary about it. Sharing is currently blocked through the native PS4 UI."

Atlus also confirmed that the feature will continue to be blocked once the game launches in the US. That means that if you want to share screens or videos from the game, you'll need to use your phone or another device to record off-screen.

Persona 5 is coming to PS3 and PS4 on April 4 in the US.

[gallery=7118]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
That didn't stop GameSpot from spoiling the ending in their review video.

P.S. Thanks

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ummm... Oh no! That I don't care about is now something I can't do! OH NOES!

Release the game.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Which probably means that they also blocked Share Play, then I'll just put off buying the game until some time in the future when they patch the game to enable share play. Nevertheless, I hope this game enjoys a good western release.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Being a story-based game with a single play-through design is an absolute bullshit reason, in my opinion, to disable sharing features. There are so many pre-existing games that have exactly the same design that do allow share features. So, there is no precedent for disabling share features under such a premise. Many single-play-through games have been shared on both Twitch and Youtube without causing any loss to those who wish to still play the game to experience it for themselves, even after watching a streamer play through the game, either in whole or part. In other words, if people want to play the game, they will play the game, regardless if they have already seen an part or entirety of the game. So, there really just is no need to disable the sharing.

Of course, people are going to buy and play the game, regardless, because they want to play and enjoy the game. It's just, in my opinion, disabling the share feature seems unnecessary, and the reasoning for doing so unfounded based on past history that I've observed. In fact, I would argue being able to view a play-through of actual gameplay, even if only in part, can provide better incentive to those who may be on the fence about whether they may wish purchase the game, because they will have actual, reliable source information concerning the game and can make a judgement based on direct, unfiltered observational evidence whether the game would be something they would enjoy.

I suspect there is another, actual reason (maybe related to unfounded, irrational fears of piracy; I don't know), that is behind disabling the share features, but that's just me making conspiracy (so take it with an entire planet made of salt).

ADDENDUM: I should mention that I, personally, have never really gotten into the Persona Series; so, it would be reasonable to question why I should care. I care because I think, if this becomes a trend, it will be a detrimental trend for the ability of gamers to make informed decisions regarding their gaming purchases. We already have a history of building distrust with the antics of game publishers, and attempting to remove information and require impulse purchasing would have a chilling effect on the viability of the game industry, as a whole, as gamers (at least the ones being more rational with their purchases) increasingly slow their purchasing rates while waiting for more and reliable information. In other words, taking game publishers at their word about a game is becoming an increasingly unsustainable financial risk for gamers.

Sing

Aug 6, 2013
I mean it's a nice initiative by Atlus to do this. I wonder much it really matters in the end though, there's still asshats on the internet who spoils the game, but It's something I guess. Shame for those who enjoy and use the share function.

Also
ffronw said:
Pretty sure it's going to be released in the EU aswell!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Is it a visual novel with 0 choice or something?
Because the last time I checked, the persona games had gameplay and choice.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Holy fuckballs, really? It's a good thing I've been hiding in my spoiler free bunker for the last six months, only coming out for more water and a copy of Nier Automata. Shit, the spoilers are getting real now. I've already pre-ordered the fuck out of the game, so I haven't even bothered with reviews, trailers, or even screen shots.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wow...really 'bottom of the barrel' stuff here.

One of the MOST anticipated JRPGs since...well...Persona 4, and the most you can complain about is 'nopony saw my xtreme damage to final boss!'.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Tanis said:
Wow...really 'bottom of the barrel' stuff here.

One of the MOST anticipated JRPGs since...well...Persona 4, and the most you can complain about is 'nopony saw my xtreme damage to final boss!'.
This is what people use Youtube for, anyway.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Yeah, I never really got this. Like blocked scenes in games too, they always feel a little like... whut? The Dragonball Xenoverse games were always real fond of preventing spoilers by blocking certain scenes. Certain, really OBVIOUS scenes.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Not really news since I knew this since it's Japanese release in September. That being said, that didn't stop me from recording and uploading some footage of the game... >.> Shhh~

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This is stupid. "Being a Japanese game-" what the fuck does it being Japanese have to do with share being blocked? Last time I checked, Bloodborne was a Japanese game and I could still share that. Just...dumb. Really. Really. Dumb.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
erttheking said:
This is stupid. "Being a Japanese game-" what the fuck does it being Japanese have to do with share being blocked? Last time I checked, Bloodborne was a Japanese game and I could still share that. Just...dumb. Really. Really. Dumb.
Tales of Zestiria also does this. This for some reasons seems to be a growing thing that a few Japanese developers in particular do.

The first time I saw it, my mind didn't immediately consider the reason was to prevent spoilers though. Call me cynical but I thought of Nintendo and their draconian practices toward Let's Plays. I know it's not the most fair logic as Atlus and Namco Bandai aren't Nintendo, but I don't generally consider the blocking of game footage to be a good thing.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 blocked story scenes as well... which is even more pointless than this shit because anyone most likely even somewhat interested in that game has watched One Piece... which the game's story is just a adaption of.

Either way, stupid. Let people share as they please.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
geizr said:
Being a story-based game with a single play-through design is an absolute bullshit reason, in my opinion, to disable sharing features. There are so many pre-existing games that have exactly the same design that do allow share features. So, there is no precedent for disabling share features under such a premise. Many single-play-through games have been shared on both Twitch and Youtube without causing any loss to those who wish to still play the game to experience it for themselves, even after watching a streamer play through the game, either in whole or part. In other words, if people want to play the game, they will play the game, regardless if they have already seen an part or entirety of the game. So, there really just is no need to disable the sharing.

Of course, people are going to buy and play the game, regardless, because they want to play and enjoy the game. It's just, in my opinion, disabling the share feature seems unnecessary, and the reasoning for doing so unfounded based on past history that I've observed. In fact, I would argue being able to view a play-through of actual gameplay, even if only in part, can provide better incentive to those who may be on the fence about whether they may wish purchase the game, because they will have actual, reliable source information concerning the game and can make a judgement based on direct, unfiltered observational evidence whether the game would be something they would enjoy.

I suspect there is another, actual reason (maybe related to unfounded, irrational fears of piracy; I don't know), that is behind disabling the share features, but that's just me making conspiracy (so take it with an entire planet made of salt).

ADDENDUM: I should mention that I, personally, have never really gotten into the Persona Series; so, it would be reasonable to question why I should care. I care because I think, if this becomes a trend, it will be a detrimental trend for the ability of gamers to make informed decisions regarding their gaming purchases. We already have a history of building distrust with the antics of game publishers, and attempting to remove information and require impulse purchasing would have a chilling effect on the viability of the game industry, as a whole, as gamers (at least the ones being more rational with their purchases) increasingly slow their purchasing rates while waiting for more and reliable information. In other words, taking game publishers at their word about a game is becoming an increasingly unsustainable financial risk for gamers.
If I remember correctly, there is slight precedent to this, albeit very recently. Arc System Works attempted to hide the existence of a certain character in the latest BlazBlue but the Share feature among a huge list of other reasons made it a pretty sad (but noble!) attempt at making a certain twist in the story more shocking. I mean unlocking a character via beating the story mode in this day and age? Not DLC charac- oh wait no. My bad, Es and Mai still exist behind the DLC paywall. Oh well.

Really i've not cared to use any Share features myself but I believe *temporarily* disabling it for a specific amount of time after release is reasonable enough for such a story heavy game. It'd be awful if the Share is disabled forever though but it's just a show of... courtesy(?) considering 99% of the people who want to play Persona 5 would be fucking pissed if the story got spoiled beforehand. I'd enable it like a month or so after release.

Basically it'd suck if this happened to every game but considering that Persona and BlazBlue are niche games and everyone who are interested in P5/BB will 100% buy P5/BB ASAP, they're not overly worried about the guys on the fence. They're concerned about fans not buying it because they got spoiled so what's the point in buying it. The important thing here is the motive behind it being not to hide their game being a pile of shit but wanting people to enjoy their game to the fullest via experiencing the story with no spoilers. That's my take on it anyway, i'd agree with you if EA did this stunt but Atlus and ArcSys make reliably excellent games and EA... not so much.

It won't actually WORK in the way of removing spoilers though. This is the fuckin' Internet we're talking about but at least they tried.

I'm only kinda looking forwards to Persona 5 though. I mean it'll be GOOD obviously but in my mind, there is no chance in hell it'll beat Persona 4. They dropped the great bright yellow colour scheme for some edgy black stuff, I bet it doesn't even have Funky Student dropping sick riddles on you at school.

Hey at least they MADE Persona 5 instead of Persona 4: Another God Damn Spin-Off Jesus Christ Why.

[sub][sub]They made a fucking dancing game, a Persona 4 dancing game...[/sub][/sub]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Covarr said:
Ha! WhatCulture 1, GameSpot 0!

Sing said:
Also
ffronw said:
Pretty sure it's going to be released in the EU aswell!
Maybe they already released it in the EU and they're hiding it from you! Did you check inside the TV?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
CaptainMarvelous said:
Yeah, I never really got this. Like blocked scenes in games too, they always feel a little like... whut? The Dragonball Xenoverse games were always real fond of preventing spoilers by blocking certain scenes. Certain, really OBVIOUS scenes.
I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but something I played recently blocked the intro stingers (company logos and disclaimers and so on) and loading screens.

The loading screens I guess you could view as a positive or a negative. Few people are gonna include a loading screen in what is primarily a highlight clip anyways, so maybe its an intent of convenience, or were they wanting to hide that there's load times.

Don't get why the intro junk is blocked out.

The main logical cases I've seen are Rock Band (cause licensed music, obviously) and WWE (again, licensed music and occasionally video)