You Don't Exist if You're Not on a Social Network

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/10-things-you-dont-know-about-teens-and-social-networking-2527367/?pg=2#poll-CD1D3920C43811E09933ECECFD6D37FB

According to teens, If your not on a social network you're not alive and you don't exist. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. These girls would rather check there Facebook for a whole day than learn something in class. (that I don't mid too much.) HOWEVER! These the only thing that runs in the minds of these girls are getting home and uploading a picture of them selves just to have others comment on them. One girl even became depressed because one of her friends got more "likes" than her.

Before your start attacking me and saying things like, "they are only young girls! They don't understand!" That's not the point. The point is that these kids are setting a bad example for all teens these days who would rather interact through facebook than in real life. It's saddening to see so many kids shallow intentions.

What do you think about this? Do you really think this is how most kids 16 and younger think now a days?

Also let me leave you a quote from this article: "There's more 'life' happening online than offline. If you are not online, you are completely out of the loop--you don't have a life, you don't really exist."

EDIT: So it seems as if I'm attacking these girls out just because i hate facebook or what not. I know that these girls are young and will, hopefully' grow out of this phase. i know not all teens are like this in fact i myself do not know anyone like those girls. The point I was trying to make is if this is the direction and values kids have these days then it's sad. I don't know many kids 16 or younger being 18 and going to college and whatnot and was just wondering how others think of these girls and if this is the trend going on also.

Also I deleted my Facebook a few weeks ago. I had 460+ friends but I only really talk to about 18 or so and those same friends would also either text me or call me to hang out. Also the privacy on facebook is awful. All it could take is just one friend and one tag and shit hits the fan. I got incredibly bored of it. I stopped using it for about 3 months before I just deleted it. I am starting college in a few days so we'll see if I NEED to use it again.

Omnicide

Aug 6, 2011
I going to point out that not all teens are like that.

The ones that are, well, I'm not sure how they can stand that.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
chuckey said:
"There's more 'life' happening online than offline. If you are not online, you are completely out of the loop--you don't have a life, you don't really exist."
27 here and I can totally agree with the bold part, at least for my life.

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
Pretty much, it seems like your a social outcast according to society if your don't have an account on a social networking site. It seems quite dumb.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I can agree with this statement. Social networks are a waste of fucking time.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
Tanakh said:
chuckey said:
"There's more 'life' happening online than offline. If you are not online, you are completely out of the loop--you don't have a life, you don't really exist."
27 here and I can totally agree with the bold part, at least for my life.
While you may miss out on some stuff, at least you're here, at least YOU EXIST.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
OverweightWhale said:
Pretty much, it seems like your a social outcast according to society if your don't have an account on a social networking site. It seems quite dumb.
Indeed it is.

Biggest irony: Social networking is bad for both socializing and networking.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
Ah fiddlesticks. I guess I don't exist :(

Oh well, don't mind me, I'm gunna go back to having fun in the land of make believe.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just making pointless correlations, but I just noticed that all of those quotations are followed by female names. Maybe that means nothing, I don't really know; heck, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to suggest, just that it seems weird that there are only comments from a single gender. Again, I don't participate in social networking (if you couldn't gather that from my above comments), so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about altogether.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
I guess I don't exist. I'm 27, and not only do I not have a face-book page or whatever, I also don't have a cell phone, i-pad, blackberry, etc. I'm sure this shocks some of you.

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
?I feel safer online than I do offline. So I do things online that I wouldn?t do in real life.?

--Sadie, 14 years old

So do odd old men.

Welcome to the internet, Sadie. Enjoy your stay.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I'm glad people like that think I don't exist. It'll make the assassinations that much eas...-I mean, cake making for them, that much easier.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
chuckey said:
he only thing that runs in the minds of these girls are getting home and uploading a picture of them selves just to have others comment on them. One girl even became depressed because one of her friends got more "likes" than her.
Have you never heard the term "Camwhore" before?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
chuckey said:
While you may miss out on some stuff, at least you're here, at least YOU EXIST.
Well, yeah, that's why i said the bold part. Though proof of existence in the real world is unreachable; being or not on a social network probably has nothing to do with existing or not.

But you see, most of my social life is over IP, most of my work is digital, and almost all my free time i spend on digital entertainment. So... yeah, if tomorrow a massive solar flare erased the magnetic data of the world i would be totally and royally screwed.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
FuktLogik said:
chuckey said:
he only thing that runs in the minds of these girls are getting home and uploading a picture of them selves just to have others comment on them. One girl even became depressed because one of her friends got more "likes" than her.
Have you never heard the term "Camwhore" before?
Why yes I have. It seems some of the girls in the article have started young. It's sort of sad if you think about, but also very funny if you think about it.

Jul 9, 2008
18 year old here, and I've yet to meet a single person like that. Granted, that was directed more for tweens, but I was around that age when social networking really rose to prominence, and I haven't seen that. Sure, I've seen girls take a few more photos than necessary, but nothing like THAT.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Serious who cares?

Social Networks are just a chance to get Identity theft and fired by your employer