You Don't Exist if You're Not on a Social Network

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
Winterfel said:
chuckey said:
So you never ever thought about -WHY- they're doing that, huh?
Can't possibly have something to do with them trying to get some attention and confirmation from the world, but what am I saying!? There's no chance in hell that could be the case, I mean for teenage girls to seek attention and confirmation and even go as far as comparing themselves to others!
What kind of blasphemy is spewing from my mouth!?!
I do say the whole thought of it is quite insane?! The idea of logic itself has been thrown out of the proverbial window hasn't it?

lol anyway, yes. I didn't realize at first. I was too stunned by the self absorbed quotes to realize that these are just tween girls being tweens. However the point is that these girls shouldn't sacrifice family dinner time and actual social interactions just to get a 'like' on one of their photos on facebook

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
Teen girls is all I needed to see. I could care less what a "teen girl" who likes justin bieber and etc. Hopefully they'll grow up and not be dumbasses

The Eyeball Moose

Jun 16, 2011
I avoid social networks because I'm not interested in what they provide. I don't have any friends, and if I did, I'd go under their definition of 'underprivileged'--I don't have a super-expensive phone I bring into school to tweet every two seconds. Frankly, I don't want to be like that.

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
Then call me one of the largest social outcasts in my school ever, because I have NO plans to use Facebook. I find Facebook very silly, really. I DID make an account for it, but can't recall ever doing anything with it. Call it hypocrisy, I guess, but I find social games/MMOs even like Habbo Hotel (which is now VERY money-focused, no doubt about it) more interesting than Facebook. Even then, I rarely get on those social thingies in general, possibly because that's what I use Steam for.

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
Winterfel said:
chuckey said:
So you never ever thought about -WHY- they're doing that, huh?
Can't possibly have something to do with them trying to get some attention and confirmation from the world, but what am I saying!? There's no chance in hell that could be the case, I mean for teenage girls to seek attention and confirmation and even go as far as comparing themselves to others!
What kind of blasphemy is spewing from my mouth!?!
Lol'd, but to be abit serious, they probably just want to be the center of attention, willing to salvage and attack each other like animals, only for these sacred things called 'Likes.'

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
Caligulust said:
?I feel safer online than I do offline. So I do things online that I wouldn?t do in real life.?

--Sadie, 14 years old
That's called cowardice... Or perhaps it's just an evolution of getting drunk and doing things you would never do otherwise... We'll call it internet-induced bravery...

Best regards

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I guess I don't exist then. I don't plan on joining anything outside of forum sites and a YouTube (spell-checker recognizes that now? oi...) substitute if the need arises, so those "teens" can stick it.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Caligulust said:
?I feel safer online than I do offline. So I do things online that I wouldn?t do in real life.?

--Sadie, 14 years old
Jesus... that's how shit like 4chan comes to pass. Next thing you know they're the headline of some news broadcast about cyber-bullying.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
chuckey said:
I read the article and paid attention to the quotes. It sounds like a bunch of teenage girls who'd be saying essentially the same things if they were talking about texting or about real life social interactions. Some express their frustration with the pressures, imagined and real, exerted on them, and others arbitrarily assign superior status to a trend they're involved in.

"You don't exist if you're not on a social network" is all kinds of funny. A few years ago, this would have been a teen trying to take the MySpace mantle from Tila Tequila, totally unaware of the high percentage of hideous loser ephebephiles who constituted her online "friends."

I guess my question is, don't they get bored with this insipid past time after a while? Whether you're playing a video game or obsessing over how others respond to your looks, at one point you surely must get bored and want to do something else.

I'm not terribly concerned that there are teens who spend time on FB in lieu of doing schoolwork; they'd likely just find another diversion if FB didn't exist. More concerning is that they'd rather spend time on FB than interacting with other flesh and blood people in person.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
OverweightWhale said:
Pretty much, it seems like your a social outcast according to society if your don't have an account on a social networking site. It seems quite dumb.
Well, let's see...who among my friends and family is the most like a rock star? My cousin who went to Berkeley for music business and songwriting, produced albums for grammy-winning artists, lived in Chicago, Nashville and Montreal, before settling in Austin where he owns a recording studio on 6th st and divides his time pretty evenly between producing other people's works and making his own music, plays 14 instruments and at any given time has 2-3 bands...yeah, that one...refuses to open a Facebook account. The closest I get to online updates on him are comments from his wife.

One of my oldest friends decided a couple of years ago to finally add bettering himself to his list of pasttimes outside of getting high and making music all day. He's studying music production in San Francisco, and one of his teachers mixed ...And Out Come the Wolves, which is pretty cool. This guy will never stop partying, and never stop living life to the fullest. He updates his Facebook about once every 3 months.

...but hey, they aren't online, all the time, so I guess these two are colossal losers, according to a vapid teen.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Personally, I don't like social networking. Show me a social networking site where having a page within DOESN'T make you seem like some self-important attention-grabbing pratt, and MAYBE I'll consider it. Otherwise, I just see it as just a more complicated form of AIM for the most part.

I managed to gain some modicum of internet fame a decade ago (still trying to figure out how the hell THAT happened) without any form of social networking. Personally...I don't NEED some form of social network to prove I exist or even to validate my existance. In fact...what the heck kind of empty person thinks they NEED a social networking site to validate himself/herself?

Just my two Zenny on the subject...

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Pandalink said:
While most of the people in that article are clearly rather silly, I find it difficult to disagree with the first quote. If you aren't on Facebook, at all, then you quite simply aren't going to have a life. Or at least, you're making it extremely difficult for yourself for no good reason. It simply isn't possible to do things without Facebook, and if you (upon being asked for your Facebook) reply that you do not have a profile, that's an instant question mark in the head of the asker regarding what you have to hide and what is wrong with you enough that you wouldn't have a Facebook.

I can't think of a single person without a Facebook profile. If I met someone who did not, I'd question whether they had something quite wrong with them socially.

I'm 19, by the way, so not in school anymore. If anything my post has become more true since I left school.
Clue me in, please. Do you ask someone out on a date via Facebook? Do you make plans exclusively via facebook, or apply for a job on Facebook? How exactly is it vital to living a life?

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
I enjoy social networks but I understand why some people choose not to have them. Simple.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Really, we are discussing random teenage ramblings now...

I propose we steer this topic towards something constructive: Anyone got good bacon recipes they would like to share?
http://www.vanillagarlic.com/2007/05/maple-bacon-cupcakes-with-maple.html

i just blew your mind

OT: Is Steam a social network? I talk to my friends with it more then i use it to game.

OH GOD I USE A SOCIAL NETWORK

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
I found an even better social Network, it's called "The Outside World"! It's amazing, I can just open up dialog with anyone by walking up and talking to them! I don't even have to add them to a friend's list! I just somehow "Consider them a friend" after I've had enough positive interactions with them! It's amazing!
How does one "walk up to and talk to" someone who lives a 40 minute bus journey away?

If I wanted to organise a group of ~10 people to go out one night, would I be expected to physically go to all of their apartment buildings, and then either wait to follow someone in or call them to open the door, and do this for perhaps 4-5 different apartment buildings (one of which, as I mentioned, was 40 minutes away by bus)?

Like I said in my post, Facebook is a tool to assist in the facilitation of face-to-face meetups with groups of people. That sounds like it would suit you very well, if I'm honest, since you seem like a rather social guy.

funguy2121 said:
Pandalink said:
While most of the people in that article are clearly rather silly, I find it difficult to disagree with the first quote. If you aren't on Facebook, at all, then you quite simply aren't going to have a life. Or at least, you're making it extremely difficult for yourself for no good reason. It simply isn't possible to do things without Facebook, and if you (upon being asked for your Facebook) reply that you do not have a profile, that's an instant question mark in the head of the asker regarding what you have to hide and what is wrong with you enough that you wouldn't have a Facebook.

I can't think of a single person without a Facebook profile. If I met someone who did not, I'd question whether they had something quite wrong with them socially.

I'm 19, by the way, so not in school anymore. If anything my post has become more true since I left school.
Clue me in, please. Do you ask someone out on a date via Facebook? Do you make plans exclusively via facebook, or apply for a job on Facebook? How exactly is it vital to living a life?
I should clarify that by "life" I meant social life. I should have made that clearer in my post.
In reply to your points: No, I would not ask someone out on Facebook (unless they were happy for me to do so, in which case, why not) because that is a single person (as oppoosed to a group of people) and a single person is easy to contact through other means.
Yes, plans are basically made exclusively through Facebook. Unless we're all on campus and decide to go the pub right there and then, that's basically how it turns out. Even evening plans we do make in advance can be checked and clarified through our Facebook group chat.
No, you wouldn't apply for a job through Facebook, clearly. Like I said, I should have made it clearer that I meant social life.

Don't get me wrong, Facebook is no replacement for face-to-face. It is a tool to organise events, and share content that is best viewed online in a browser (such as video links, or indeed escapist articles).

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
?Social networking affects all the things you do in real life now. Like, if you go to a party, one of the most important aspects of going to the party is to document yourself for online posts. You have to prove you were looking good, you were having fun, and that you were actually there! It?s not about the party anymore but about the pictures of the party.?

--Caroline, 14 years old

?I feel sad, depressed, jealous, or whatever when I don?t get a lot of ?Likes? on my photo or when someone else gets way more Likes than me. Honestly, I?m not sure that parents realize how drastically it affects our self-image and confidence. If I see a picture of a really pretty girl, it?s like ?Goodbye self-esteem.? It forces me to compete and do stuff that I don?t want to do, so my confidence will get a boost.?

--Samantha, 14 years old

?Sometimes I feel like I?m losing control. I want my parents to tell me to get off the computer. Actually, they would need to literally take the computer away because I can?t stop myself.?

--Nina, 15 years old

White people problems.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
You do know that teens are stupid right? And that you shouldn't take anything they say at face value, especially when it comes to stuff like Facebook.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to continue stumbling through life not alive, apparently.

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
There will always be those who live life as if it is a popularity contest. To those that let themselves be dictated to by a facebook page. ha ha-haha HAH ha ha....

There is a facebook of EVERY generation.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I can agree with this statement. Social networks are a waste of fucking time.
Lol i used to be on facebook and all those but i dont even touch them anymore xD because like everyone else i turned 16 got a job and moved on with my life... however gaming is a diffrent story always time for that

ALL HAIL ONLIVE!!!

Alon Shechter said:
?Social networking affects all the things you do in real life now. Like, if you go to a party, one of the most important aspects of going to the party is to document yourself for online posts. You have to prove you were looking good, you were having fun, and that you were actually there! It?s not about the party anymore but about the pictures of the party.?

--Caroline, 14 years old

?I feel sad, depressed, jealous, or whatever when I don?t get a lot of ?Likes? on my photo or when someone else gets way more Likes than me. Honestly, I?m not sure that parents realize how drastically it affects our self-image and confidence. If I see a picture of a really pretty girl, it?s like ?Goodbye self-esteem.? It forces me to compete and do stuff that I don?t want to do, so my confidence will get a boost.?

--Samantha, 14 years old

?Sometimes I feel like I?m losing control. I want my parents to tell me to get off the computer. Actually, they would need to literally take the computer away because I can?t stop myself.?

--Nina, 15 years old

White people problems.
White people problems... Very true

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I'm 15, don't have Facebook or any other profile on a social networking site, and I'm pretty sure I exist. I mean, I LOOK like I exist...
Whatever, some girls think Queen stole songs from Justin Beiber, I've long ago given up on teenage girls.