You ever came up with funny or clever nicknames enemies or bosses?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Especially back in the 8 bit/16-bit days where most games would leave out names of the enemies in the manual of US/UK/EU versions, but almost never the Japanese version. Doubly so if you could not tell exactly what you were fighting.

In Streets of Rage (mainly the first game), my bro and I would nick name Y. Signal, guy sliders or yellow jackets. Whenever I encounter a giant mook/boss/mini-boss I'll dub them with the name "Little Eddie" or "BIIIIIGGGG BARRRRY"!

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I've had to come up with a few different names for tougher enemies in Resident Evil 5, so that I can call them out to my partner. I know they have actual names, but I haven't unlocked their models in the extras menu yet, and besides it's faster to just use shorthand that both of us recognize. Mainly it's for miniboss types like the shirtless brawlers in the city, or the flamers in the jungle.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
In Chip's Challenge I would call the most dangerous enemy type Murder Tulips. The official name is apparently Teeth.

Oh and searching for this revealed to me that the original Chip's Challenge has become available for free on Steam. Nice.

Last edited:

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I nicknamed Hino-Emma from Nioh ‘That vampire *****’.
And Umi-Bouzo(spelling?), ie the water blob boss from Nioh received the nickname ‘Fuck you! That’s fucking bullshit, you dickhead! Burn in hell!’

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I cant speak for single player, but in cooperative games it's more or less a given to slap quick easy identifiers on enemy types. Not like we're gonna take the time to pronounce that cool sounding gothic/alien/edgy name the devs gave it.

I can't recall the game, which is irritating me, but I called an enemy screaming babies. They were small and had a terrible but distinct audio cue. Everyone I played with would sort of go "That's odd, which enemy is that *audio plays* Nevermind, I see it."

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I called the giant gorilla with the sword on his neck in Sekiro Harambe, without even knowing he was already dead, making it even more apt than originally intended. Truly serendipitous.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I do this a lot in Souls games, as some may have noticed when I go on about it in the currently playing thread.

Demon Twins=Demon Boyz
Abyss Walkers=The little pointy hats
Sister Friede=Murder Nun
Pontiff Sulyvahn=Darth Sulyvahn or Sith Pope
Aldritch=Blob Boy
The 3 dudes in the Grand Archives=The Grand Achives Gank Squad
Champion Gunydr=Champ Teapot
Artorias the Abysswalker=The Artorias show, starring Atorias
Crystal Sage=Meth Lord of Lothric

From Sekiro
Snake Eyes(either of them)=Quiet and her sister, also named Quiet
Genshiro=Your win doesn't count, cause Imma cheat.
Isshin=Glock Saint
Headless Ape=Undead KIng Kong
Armored Warrior=ROBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Not really, because unless the nickname is evidently obvious, other people won't know which enemy I'm talking about (and probably I'm more worried about bringing the enemy down at that moment than coming up with clever names).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well, I tend to just call every badguy, if I'm "talking" to them in character for my own amusement, Steve. Usually this works best for Nameless Mook Soldier 27, or Non-Descript Robot Dinosaur 83, but I'm sure I've called bosses Steve.

I usually use it, especially in stealth games, when I'm doing something like whistling to bring a bad guy into my cover for an ambush. I used it a LOT in Horizon Zero Dawn, as I just found the idea kind of funny, that all the robots thought they had a friend in the blood red bushes. So I'd always start dubbing in for them after a whistle *robot looks over at me* "Steve? Is that you?" *begins to slowly walk to me* "What are you doing over there? We were supposed to be chasing those robot squirrels half an ho..." *I ambush stab them* "AAARGH! You're not Steve! This bush was nothing but pain and lies!! Blalaaarrgh!" And I will narrate this vocally while I'm playing, much to my wife's delight.

I'll also do it in times like, if I'm in a big melee like Assassin's Creed, or Arkham style combat systems, and I'm lining up a sweeet move on some guy, and another npc will interrupt me with a smack to the back of my head, and I'll shout out "Gaaah! Damnit Steve!!"

That's the closest I have to nicknames for video game characters. I might call them things like "Growly McSerious Face" or "Evil McBadguy" if they are just SO blatantly written as an over the top villain, that I just can't bother to learn their real name. Like that corporate villain in the Miles Morales game. I honestly don't recall what his name is. As soon as he slimed his way into frame, and just checked off every Evil Corporate Badguy trope, he was just Corporate McBadguy to me, or some variant there of.

I don't usually remember them later, so it's hard to list them here, but I'm sure I've dubbed some people ridiculous names. It's pretty much a guarantee, given my personality, and love of riffing of things, thank you MST 3K *salute*

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I used to call Johnson from Lethal Enforcers 'Alex' because one of his Genesis/Mega Drive sprites looked like Alex Trebek (RIP).
Bats are either 'bits' (not sure why) or 'meeps' (Spooky Castle used a pitch-shifted recording of someone saying 'meep' for the bat sounds).
Birds are always called 'birdie' unless they rival the Great Great Eagle from Golden Axe, then they've earned the nickname 'big birdie.'

Somewhat more recently Benezia has been dubbed 'the reason I still haven't completed Mass Effect, or even so much as played it in several months.'
Admittedly, that last one doesn't roll off the tongue as well, but it still feels less glitch-ridden and half-baked than that fight ever will.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I just beat Hell House in Final Fantasy 7 Remake. He became know as "Oh, Fuck You!!!"
That fight signaled the start of the pinnacle of the gameplay in ffviiR, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed having to constantly switch chars to take off its shield. That fight forces you to properly play the game as intended, meaning, constantly switching main char and directly controlling the entire party, as opposed to just spamming attack with Cloud in punisher mode. I wasn't doing that anyways but this fight felt like the first one which genuinely REQUIRED you to not do that.

It only gets better from there too.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
That fight signaled the start of the pinnacle of the gameplay in ffviiR, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed having to constantly switch chars to take off its shield. That fight forces you to properly play the game as intended, meaning, constantly switching main char and directly controlling the entire party, as opposed to just spamming attack with Cloud in punisher mode. I wasn't doing that anyways but this fight felt like the first one which genuinely REQUIRED you to not do that.

It only gets better from there too.
Yeah, I'm not a fan. Had I known he (I say he, can you assign gender to a robot house? Oh well, whatever) was coming, I probably would have set up my materia differently. But it seemed like every time I tried to do anything or attack him with the opposite of whatever buff he had the time, he quickly switched and then flattened me with one of his bullshit attacks. I'll be better prepared next time around.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah, I'm not a fan. Had I known he (I say he, can you assign gender to a robot house? Oh well, whatever) was coming, I probably would have set up my materia differently. But it seemed like every time I tried to do anything or attack him with the opposite of whatever buff he had the time, he quickly switched and then flattened me with one of his bullshit attacks. I'll be better prepared next time around.
The idea is you set someone casting and then instantly switch before the spell even goes off so the next member is ready to hit him a couple times until the next element shield comes out. Also you need burst damage so materia that gives you a lot of passive ATB for blocking and stuff is super useful. I mainly would use Tifa's leveled up special moves when the shield was down cause those do the best burst and they have long enough animations that lets you switch to Cloud and do an ability between them. But yeah if you don't have good element coverage going in on your first try it'd be definitely super hard. It helps to have each char specialize in a single element, instead of giving all your magic to one char. I had fire on Cloud, ice on Tifa, thunder on Barret and the rest on Aeris for most of the game so it kinda organically lead to this fight.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Bloodborne

The "viper pit" enemies will forever be known as "clumpy snakes."

Fun fact: snake balls are a real thing. It's a mating ritual in some species where a whole bunch of male snakes clump around a single female, competing for who gets to get lucky. So yeh, every time you kill one of those, you're being a huge cock block.