You Find $2,000 on the Sidewalk...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
My thinking is to basically hang onto it for a while myself and see if anything happens, just in case anyone comes looking for it. It's actually a bit odd when you show up at a bank or even anywhere with truly large amounts with no explanation behind it all. Sticks out, you see. If you're going to do something with it, do it little by little, spread it out a bit. Save your actual real money for the big hits and let this just...support you. That's what I'd do.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Maybe I got this wrong but in YOUR $2,000-on-the-sidewalk fantasy you pay your boyfriend's bills and then if HE allows it you buy yourself a sweater? I take it you live together, so you share the bills, so that's fine; but does he really have to OK you to spend $58 out of the $2,000 YOU found?

OP: Save them. Dollar is always on the rise in Argentina, the more I retain it the more it's worth ($20,000 pesos right now, which is a lot).

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Toss it away. It's obviously a trap.

I'd wait a while to see if anyone comes back to claim it because I'm such a wonderful human being.
Assuming no one comes, I'd store half of it, buy a PS3 and the exclusives I've missed out on this gen, and then give the rest to charity (wonderful human being here, remember?).

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Maybe I got this wrong but in YOUR $2,000-on-the-sidewalk fantasy you pay your boyfriend's bills and then if HE allows it you buy yourself a sweater? I take it you live together, so you share the bills, so that's fine; but does he really have to OK you to spend $58 out of the $2,000 YOU found?

OP: Save them. Dollar is always on the rise in Argentina, the more I retain it the more it's worth ($20,000 pesos right now, which is a lot).
What I meant was that I'd give him the money so that the bills and such can be paid. And if there's money left over that doesn't need to be kept for bills and whatever, then I'd spend some on myself.

Also, I guess I should have clarified that the cash you find is $2,000 local. Will edit to make this clear.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Straight into the bank. I don't see why finding a decent amount of money is cause to spend it immediately if you weren't going to spend it anyway.

MediocoreUser

Apr 7, 2013
Turn it in to the police or just leave it there.

My conscience never shuts up so I would never hear the end of it. A wave of guilt could wash over me five months later and ruin my day.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Use it to pay the next instalment of my University fees.

Oh wait $2000 isn't even 1/4 of my uni fees, let alone rent.

Dammit UK.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
In Britain you can't even shit without being taxed, so I'd take the money as "tax free life interest" or something.

Also, if you're dumb enough to carry two grand around with you and honestly believe you won't get mugged, then you must be extra stupid to keep it somewhere that you could just drop it and not notice.

And I'd spend it on normal things, like food and going to the pub, making it last. That way you don't have any suspiciously large transactions, just in case.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
New PC. I have had the upgrade bug for a while now and I recently saw my GPU listed under the minimum specs in a new game. I would then be able to retire my current PC to be a home server of some description and the PC I am currently trying out server stuff on could be retired to a NAS role. Some new networking hardware would be good too so a gigabit router + 802.11n/ac access point.

EDIT: Also some home brewing equipment. There is a bunch of things I want such as parts for a mash-tun, a bigger brew pot to boil wort in, a grain mill. The list goes on.

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
ClockworkPenguin said:
Take it to the nearest police station. If no-one comes to collect it it becomes mine after a time limit I think. Then I'd just stick it in an ISA until I need it.
Concerning how far I needed to scroll to find someone saying this. 2 grand is an extremely big deal for pretty much everyone. Assuming it's £2000 for simplicity, that's like 8% of the average persons annual salary after tax. Unless I was desperately in need of money (as in starving, at risk of eviction etc.), the thought of taking it wouldn't even cross my mind.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
2 grand? Probably pay my bills a few months in advance, put a couple hundred in the bank and buy myself a couple new firearms

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Take it and hide it somewhere. If I hear about someone who lost 2000 dollars I'll give them 1000 of it.

If not, I keep it and decide what to buy with it later.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Only drug dealers would carry that much around like that, so I'd keep it. I suppose I'd give half of it to my mom to fix her finances. The other half would be spent buying expensive gaming memorabilia.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Try to find out who it belongs to first, as taking money is something that I just can't do. Failing that, I would give it to my sister who raising money to go on a trip right now.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
it would go straight to my masters. they can decide what to do with it from there. it has more value to me in their hands than mine.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Fix my car and a new PC and set up.

Considering that's how drug dealers like to carry their money, I won't feel that bad.

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
"Turn it into the police" oh come on. I get that there's "forum answers" and then the truth, but really?

I'd buy big-cost items that I could immediately. Could be a tracker in the stack, so don't want it associated with my bank account via deposit.