You get to remaster one game/franchise...

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
the December King said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I want the Zone to stretch from Pripyat and the Garbage alllll the way across Asia. Make it the biggest sandbox outside of strictly procedurals. Give me new mutants, amazing levels and cold-war abandoned bases to explore, pepper the lands with shifting and twisted anomalies and unique corruptions, let me hunt for secret weapons and learn about paranoid conspiracies that hatched hideous experiments... but have all of the old mutants make appearances, I would love to bump into some familiar faces from the first games, and just like the originals, don't you dare hold my hand through it!
If I could throw money at that, I would.

BTW, playing Call of Chernobyl mod lately, and....well, Red Forest, spontaneous three way fight with mutants and Freedom, all at 1:34 AM in game. Nothing like it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Chromehounds. Mostly because I would just want the ability to actually play the multiplayer(the servers were shut down like a week before I was able to get my XBL account active), but also because it was a game that I enjoyed for the most part and would love to have a really good excuse to play through the game again.

Lodgem

Dec 11, 2009
Country
Australia
Gothic 1 & 2. Possibly 3, but I haven't played that one so I can't say. As much as I enjoyed those games, I'd really like to see them done in a modern engine.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Timesplitters definitely gets my vote! Its also such a great time for it since the multiplayer scene is kinda seeped in all these flashy/cartoony character-based shooters now. Timesplitters can be the ultimate classless arena shooter choice for all the players who are either tired of Overwatch and its alternatives, or just straight up don't enjoy the subgenre and want something to curb the disappointment that is the upcoming class-based Quake.

Fingers crossed so hard the upcoming fan game ends up being badass!

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Smithnikov said:
the December King said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I want the Zone to stretch from Pripyat and the Garbage alllll the way across Asia. Make it the biggest sandbox outside of strictly procedurals. Give me new mutants, amazing levels and cold-war abandoned bases to explore, pepper the lands with shifting and twisted anomalies and unique corruptions, let me hunt for secret weapons and learn about paranoid conspiracies that hatched hideous experiments... but have all of the old mutants make appearances, I would love to bump into some familiar faces from the first games, and just like the originals, don't you dare hold my hand through it!

BTW, playing Call of Chernobyl mod lately, and....well, Red Forest, spontaneous three way fight with mutants and Freedom, all at 1:34 AM in game. Nothing like it.
Awesome.

In fact, that is so awesome, that when next I fire up the home comp, I'm starting a new game.

I'll also be looking into that CryEngine remake, see where it stands.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Populous and/or Dungeon Keeper.

Either way, a rebooted modern version of the God Sim genre rather than the rot we've gotten of late.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
You know what was great? Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV on the DS! Same great games as what was available on the Famicom and Super Nintendo but with spiffy new graphics, voice acting, and RNG tweaks. Final Fantasies one and two and, five and six didn't get that same treatment and I think that's kind of a shame...Let's do that to them, clean up three and four a bit and launch all six on the Nintendo Switch...among other consoles I guess, Squeenix can do what they want. Of course if Switch owners got this and nothing else Final Fantasy (cough-XV-cough-VII-Remake-cough) that might make some of the more vocal crazies angry.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'd go for the Streets of Rage series. The second game has yet to be bettered in the scrolling beat 'em up genre.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Tanis said:
MegaTen:
SO MANY of the older games have aged poorly or are just too damn hard to play legally.
To be fair, there's a *lot* of MegaTen out there. I mean, when there are more games in that franchise then some platforms have had games total...

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I'd go with Magic Carpet 1/2. Making meteors fall like rain, causing earthquakes to rip apart the land itself, gravity pools, lightning, possession spells, casting fireball and reflect, leveling entire cities... The game was so badass, and we never got more of it. It may be a bit simplistic for the modern era, but I'd gladly take a modern port that brings it into HD.
And oddly enough, the large-scale unscripted terrain destruction hasn't really been done in modern games.

And a full-blown sequel/reboot would be even better, so long as they don't forget why the original games were so cool.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
Oblivion and Skyrim are dumbed down from Morrowind, and that is just...dumb.
I thought I could let this go... but I failed.

If you think Skyrim is a dumbed down version of Morrowind, then how about I tell you about the biggest dumbing down game in the series from its previous entry. Yes its Morrowind. There is a lack of ownable houses/ships/mounts, lack of language skills, inferior magic system, the huge reduction in the number of factions, the lack of enormous scale found in Daggerfall, the lack of a biography generation and other detailed bits of character creation, dropping the primary/major/minor skill system for a simplified major/minor system, a less intuitive faction reputation system, getting rid of the fast travel system, a lack of truly intricate plots with variance in outcomes and a simplified quest system, cities and shops open any time of the night rather than shutting the gates or closing up shop for the night, a lack of huge dungeons that could take multiple play sessions to explore that you really do have to plan for, no holidays or summoning days, and a lot more that I'm just not thinking of right now.

Morrowind did add improve graphics, combat, different atmosphere from the normal troupes, Vivec (always my favourite character in the series) and handcrafted land (which has its benefits and downsides)

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
xenoblade chronicles wii.

exactly the same game as it is already with updated graphics and HD resolution.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
trunkage said:
Saelune said:
Oblivion and Skyrim are dumbed down from Morrowind, and that is just...dumb.
I thought I could let this go... but I failed.

If you think Skyrim is a dumbed down version of Morrowind, then how about I tell you about the biggest dumbing down game in the series from its previous entry. Yes its Morrowind. There is a lack of ownable houses/ships/mounts, lack of language skills, inferior magic system, the huge reduction in the number of factions, the lack of enormous scale found in Daggerfall, the lack of a biography generation and other detailed bits of character creation, dropping the primary/major/minor skill system for a simplified major/minor system, a less intuitive faction reputation system, getting rid of the fast travel system, a lack of truly intricate plots with variance in outcomes and a simplified quest system, cities and shops open any time of the night rather than shutting the gates or closing up shop for the night, a lack of huge dungeons that could take multiple play sessions to explore that you really do have to plan for, no holidays or summoning days, and a lot more that I'm just not thinking of right now.

Morrowind did add improve graphics, combat, different atmosphere from the normal troupes, Vivec (always my favourite character in the series) and handcrafted land (which has its benefits and downsides)
Morrowind added more than it removed. Oblivion didnt. (Though in fairness to Skyrim, Skyrim is a better sequel to Oblivion in virtually every way).

Now lets look at magic. Morrowind has about 118 spell effects, and thats counting "drain strength/intelligence/luck etc as one spell.

Daggerfall has less than 100 unique spell effects.

Oblivion added no new spell effects. It did improve a couple, but it removed teleportation spells and more importantly levitation.

Skyrim reduced the spell light even more considerably. Sure it "improved" alot of spells, but its becoming more and more just cast fire in 10 different ways. You cant even cure disease in Skyrim...WTF?

Thats just magic.

Also Skyrim got alot of credit for doing what Daggerfall did first, like radiant quests. Though Daggerfall is even more tedious with it, but atleast I can forgive Daggerfall for its time. (I do still thik Daggerfall is a good game worth playing even today, and also may I add, I love Oblivion and Skyrim...I just think they could be way better had they continued Morrowind's path instead of diverting from it)

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
Two: X-Wing and Temple of Elemental Evil. The later just needs to be finished and polished, and I am not talking about all the fixes the unofficial patches did.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Off the top of my head I'd say the Soul Reaver series because holy crap the first game is horrible by modern standards. All the textures look like they were smudged with turpentine.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Cowabungaa said:

This puppy right here. It was pretty much archaic even when it came out, with its elder Planescape: Torment being more refined in both art design and gameplay. It didn't do all that as well as far as I can recall and never became a franchise.

But goddamn if the world doesn't grip me like few others ever did. I never finished it, didn't even get that far, but I adore it so much. It deserves to be either remade as a traditional isometric RPG, as is popular again these days, or be made into this amazing Dragon Age-esque game. The world and story have enough untapped potential that it deserves to be remade for once.

I can already see myself travelling through glorious Victorian cities and... Yes.
I second this. One of the game's biggest problems is that the combat and magic systems were utterly broken. Early in the game you had to pretty much save before venturing anywhere or you could be killed by a random pack of wolves. Many of the spells were also utterly broken. The first fireball spell could lay waste to an entire area. Also the final spell in the Lightning spell tree could literally disintegrate any enemy regardless of how powerful it was. So if you remade this game you'd have to iron out those balance issues.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There's an ancient game for the ol' Color Computer series called "Dungeons of Daggorath". It was one of the first to feature real-time (pseudo-)3D gameplay, lighting effects that affected gameplay (torches would burn out after a time, and magical creatures were invisible to non-magical light) and positional sound. Most innovative was the health system- instead of hit points, you would see and hear your heart beating on the screen, and moving, attacking or being hit would increase your heartrate (to the point where your heart would explode if you pushed it too hard), while resting let it calm down and killing enemies made it stronger. There were never any numbers overtly displayed, and it was supremely immersive for its day.

I would LOVE to see this brought into modern times, especially as a VR experience, with a heavy emphasis on light and planning your engagements.
Smithnikov said:
the December King said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I've been playing CoC a lot lately as well (made loads of videos about it), and if you haven't downloaded the "Living Zone" mod for it, I heartily recommend doing so. No place ever feels "safe" anymore, and you can run into some incredible firefights against enemies you never expected to see nearby.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Original X-Com. None of this XCOM bullshit. I want isometric turn based, squad based action, with full control over my team. As in I can pick up stuff, have to worry about ammo, and generally not worry about bullshit percentage chance to hits where the alien has a thousand buffs and have a timer for everything. Because timers are fun right? Fucking morons who developed Xcom2.

I love the sense of exploration and excitement that X-Piratez is bringing me, with each new mission type being a plethora of challenges (Oh god the Eurosyndicate missions, THEY HAVE A TANK?!) and the large variety of guns, (Of which i only wish they told me how much damage they do in my person's hands)

With full on base development and battles. Thats what I want, not a dumbed down reboot.

My remastering will have expanded weapons, more open mod support, an included copy of some of the best mods out there, and improved enemy AI. And maybe a sequal in the woks where you go to a small colony and you're extremely limited in your resources, with the final mission in the original xcom being you r tutorial mission.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
In all seriousness, make the Driver franchise good. All of them. And make them have their own identity. The only properly functional one before San Francisco was the GTA clone Parallel Lines.