You get to remaster one game/franchise...

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Well, Morrowind was of course already mentioned. The only thing I'd tweak would be changing the huge miss chance at the start and making it more damage based. Like, keep some miss chance, but not as huge at the start. And have your skill affect your damage more.

For a different pick. Any of the legacy of Kain series. I was pretty damn sad when I heard the newest game they had been making was cancelled. And just as sad when Nosgoth was cancelled. I love that setting and for Nosgoth I loved the way the asymmetrical gameplay worked. I wish I could still play Nosgoth tbh. There's just no other game like it. Ranged vs lots of mobility + melee was awesome.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
infohippie said:
Shadowsetzer said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
And fuck fast travel. It is immersion breaking. I like that getting places is its own adventure in Morrowind. I want TES to remove fast travel and bring back transportation and teleportation magic. The sense of exploration really is lacking in the other TES games. Even ESO is more fun to explore in, partially cause it has limited fast travel.
All of my yes. Fast travel is the bane of open world RPGs. Want to get somewhere? Then walk it! Or ride, or book passage on a cart, or something. Don't just zip from point to point on the map. Its mere existence makes people lazy. If I am halfway to my destination and I realise I forgot something that would be really nice to have along, it's incredibly difficult not to just pop back home in a click, pick up my item, and pop back to where I was, or at least nearby. That's just not right, in that situation you should be agonising over whether to turn around and journey all that way back again, make do without, or possibly make a detour on the way to perhaps collect a sub-par temporary replacement. Decisions like that add so much to a game, but easy fast travel takes all the importance out of them.
Umm, not to be a jerk, but if you don't like fast travel, maybe just don't use it?
The point is that in situations like the one I am describing it is extremely difficult not to use it to just pop back and take care of whatever you've forgotten. It has to actually be removed to make situations like this meaningful. Besides that, including fast travel makes it much less important for the dev to include well thought out in-universe methods of travelling long distances such as vehicle services or teleportation spells. Why would you invest time, effort, and skill points in learning a teleport spell when you can effectively teleport at will by means of fast travel? How is it a meaningful choice whether or not to use one of a severely limited supply of teleport scrolls if you can just fast travel without them? Built-in fast travel removes a lot of possibilities from an open world game.
Get over it. I use fast travel and wouldn't have time to play some games without it. You don't like a feature don't use it then. If the temptation is to great for you then get some willpower its not hard. No one is forcing you to use it and it has no effect on the game unless you CHOOSE TO USE IT. I for one am glad its there because it keeps me from wasting time I don't always have.

On Topic: Xenosaga with the 2nd game getting its combat system fully remade so its not utter shat.

Vorlayn

Jun 3, 2010
The whole Majesty series. 1 would just need some graphics/UI overhauling. Maybe a few more missions. Two-besides the graphics, more focus on the heroes' personalities, less on plain monsterbashing.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Um...Avernum or the new Avernum to be using the old Exile interface? The games went downhill with the newer one they introduced.

Actually, Warcraft as Warcraft, not WoW.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
the December King said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I want the Zone to stretch from Pripyat and the Garbage alllll the way across Asia. Make it the biggest sandbox outside of strictly procedurals. Give me new mutants, amazing levels and cold-war abandoned bases to explore, pepper the lands with shifting and twisted anomalies and unique corruptions, let me hunt for secret weapons and learn about paranoid conspiracies that hatched hideous experiments... but have all of the old mutants make appearances, I would love to bump into some familiar faces from the first games, and just like the originals, don't you dare hold my hand through it!
If I weren't on my phone I'd post a link, but there is a fan project out now rebuilding the game (looks like CoP but not sure) on the CryEngine 3. Looks gorgeous so far.

Personally, I'd like to see the original Mercenaries remastered. Loved that game, and would love to see it on current gen hardware.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Deus ex:
The first game obviously needs better graphics. The enemy AI could use improvement as well. There are probably a few technical problems that could be fixed as well.

Can't say much to the second game, I never played that one.

Deus ex Human Revolution: I think the maps could be improved, maybe it's the nostalgia, but I think the maps in this game are more linear than in the first game. Another thing that needs to be changed is the way you gain experience points. No matter how someone plays a level, you should receive the same amount of experience. Except if you find some secrets. But no exp for taking out enemies, no bonus exp for not being seen.
In general I feel the game restricts the player to use stealth and non lethal takedowns to gain a maximum exp. In other words, make sure that the player doesn't get the feeling that the path he chooses is wrong.

Haven't played the newest one, but I wouldn't be surprised if my points for human revolution apply to that one as well.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
theSovietConnection said:
the December King said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I want the Zone to stretch from Pripyat and the Garbage alllll the way across Asia. Make it the biggest sandbox outside of strictly procedurals. Give me new mutants, amazing levels and cold-war abandoned bases to explore, pepper the lands with shifting and twisted anomalies and unique corruptions, let me hunt for secret weapons and learn about paranoid conspiracies that hatched hideous experiments... but have all of the old mutants make appearances, I would love to bump into some familiar faces from the first games, and just like the originals, don't you dare hold my hand through it!
If I weren't on my phone I'd post a link, but there is a fan project out now rebuilding the game (looks like CoP but not sure) on the CryEngine 3. Looks gorgeous so far.

Personally, I'd like to see the original Mercenaries remastered. Loved that game, and would love to see it on current gen hardware.
That, sir, is AWESOME news. I will look into this.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Today I'm a little nostalgic, so I would go for Forbidden Forest for C64. The concept of the original game was as straightforward as it could be: shoot the monsters (giant spiders, giant bees, giant frogs, giant acid-spitting snakes, dragons, necromancers with endless army of skeletons and a demon lord) with bow and arrows, and don't get yourself killed.

To capture the original sense of tension and difficulty (both you and the monsters were one-hit kills, reloading required seconds, each enemy had its own attack and weak points), the combat would need to be souls-like but restricted to ranged weapons (and maybe some auxiliary weapon or move to push back enemies that get too close). I would probably add more than just a forest to roam about, have some NPCs to interact with or even help you.

There was already an attempt to reboot it as a rudimentary open-world action-adventure game with enemy waves (instead of anything that makes an average open-world interesting to explore). It was mediocre at best.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Veldie said:
infohippie said:
Shadowsetzer said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
And fuck fast travel. It is immersion breaking. I like that getting places is its own adventure in Morrowind. I want TES to remove fast travel and bring back transportation and teleportation magic. The sense of exploration really is lacking in the other TES games. Even ESO is more fun to explore in, partially cause it has limited fast travel.
All of my yes. Fast travel is the bane of open world RPGs. Want to get somewhere? Then walk it! Or ride, or book passage on a cart, or something. Don't just zip from point to point on the map. Its mere existence makes people lazy. If I am halfway to my destination and I realise I forgot something that would be really nice to have along, it's incredibly difficult not to just pop back home in a click, pick up my item, and pop back to where I was, or at least nearby. That's just not right, in that situation you should be agonising over whether to turn around and journey all that way back again, make do without, or possibly make a detour on the way to perhaps collect a sub-par temporary replacement. Decisions like that add so much to a game, but easy fast travel takes all the importance out of them.
Umm, not to be a jerk, but if you don't like fast travel, maybe just don't use it?
The point is that in situations like the one I am describing it is extremely difficult not to use it to just pop back and take care of whatever you've forgotten. It has to actually be removed to make situations like this meaningful. Besides that, including fast travel makes it much less important for the dev to include well thought out in-universe methods of travelling long distances such as vehicle services or teleportation spells. Why would you invest time, effort, and skill points in learning a teleport spell when you can effectively teleport at will by means of fast travel? How is it a meaningful choice whether or not to use one of a severely limited supply of teleport scrolls if you can just fast travel without them? Built-in fast travel removes a lot of possibilities from an open world game.
Get over it. I use fast travel and wouldn't have time to play some games without it. You don't like a feature don't use it then. If the temptation is to great for you then get some willpower its not hard. No one is forcing you to use it and it has no effect on the game unless you CHOOSE TO USE IT. I for one am glad its there because it keeps me from wasting time I don't always have.

On Topic: Xenosaga with the 2nd game getting its combat system fully remade so its not utter shat.
?

Morrowind wasn't designed with fast travel in mind while the other games are, and the difference is palpable.

I Don't have a horse in this race because I don't mind both systems, but maybe if you're the newcomer to the franchise you shouldn't telling people to "get over it", and if you don't have time to enjoy the experience as it's meant to be enjoyed, maybe follow your own advise adapted to the situation and just don't play it?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Metal Fatigue.
Maybe some between-mission cutscenes, obviously better models, but the gameplay itself is great as-is.

And if you've never heard of it, it's an RTS where you build giant robots who can use the broken limbs of other robots by ejecting your own arm and just slamming the new one in the socket, go back to base and research your own version. Had energy and kinetic damage types, and an above-ground, underground, and aerial map on each stage.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Since we can't have a proper sequel to Darkstalkers, I would settle with a remake of the third one (and I am talking about a proper remake, like the ones done by Double Fine + LucasArts, not a "we scaled up the graphics to fit a bigger screen" remake).

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
I don't know if anyone remembers this game Flying Corps. WW1 flying game. That would be interesting.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I'd nominate Vampire: The Masquarade - Bloodlines, in a heartbeat. Better graphics for sure, getting a voiced protagonist for all the clans/genders might be pushing it, but it can be done.

Knowing it will never happen just makes me sad, thanks OP!

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Front Mission.

Considering the Success of Xcom a good remaster of the series itself would have a great chance of being good and doing well. Especially since as a very intertwined series the fact that a lot of the games are rare, and untranslated, meant that trying to understand all of it is very difficult in its current form.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Remake/remaster the first 3 Thief (plus Thief 2X) games using The Dark Mod. Not much needs to change, just HD updates for the levels and some changes for the new guard behaviour. Maybe even add the Thief 2 Gold missions that were never finished. They can even make the third game more like the original 2, with intros and a mission structure more in line with them (There's actually a mod that does this already). They are great games and with HD packs they do look really nice, but I think a proper modern redux like that would be solid, and give you a lot of content.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
I usually do Telvanni. But I find most quests in the game to be more interesting than Skyrim. Go to dungeon, find thing...woo. And even the more "interesting" ones are about killing something. I like that a ton of Morrowind quests dont require any killing at all, sometimes even when the quest says to kill a person, you can find alternative ways to finish it.

And as for forcing a feature...uh...most games do that actually. And "optional"? I mean, shooting people in Call of Duty is "optional" but you wont get far. And Morrowind is made without fast travel in mind. Oblivion and Skyrim are not. They should just make better teleportation spells to pacify those too lazy to enjoy exploration and adventurous travel. Plus with random encounters, that can be even more fun! If they remove fast travel (which they should) they should also make travel more fun and exciting.

Depth > Casual

Edit: To be clear, I am not using "casual" in a "filthy cazuals" kind of way...technically. I just think that making everything more easy isnt the best way to make a better open-world RPG that brags about being able to do what you want. They should not be afraid of making things more difficult when trying to add depth and variety to the game.
I can understand that you think that the quests are better. My personal prejudice about how the game is set up hinders my ability to like the quests. I do agree that most quest in Skyrim you have to kill and there isn't alternatives.

But then there is the quest Season Undending which is my favourite quest in all Elder Scrolls. All your major decision affects the outcome and it does the one thing I really want in these game - try to broker peace (even if its temporary. I got really frustrated with Fallout NV ending - I have a robot army! I should have been able to force people into peace talks or use it to police trade route between NCR and the Legion). In some ways the questing and dialogue is worse but I think sometimes it is better. (I literally stopped my playthrough of Skyrim at Season Unending because I didn't like the idea of the civil war starting again.) I could get into the civil conflict as I felt the two faction were well fleshed out and I would pick any side because they are both right (that is, if one side didn't promote slavery. Hard pass, no matter what your ideals are.)

So, as to fast travel. You don't personally have to use fast travel in Skyrim. Nothing makes you use it. But the option is there for those who wish. If you remove fast travel, you are restricting play for some people. For me, its about giving people the choice they want. If you travel somewhere once, you might not want to do it again. I understand you are an explorer, but there are plenty of other people out there who would like to play it their way.

Its like the discussion on quest marker, they have all these negative consequence but then you play Morrowind with its terrible directions and you realise why marker came about (I remember a time when they didn't have journals - it was god awful)

Now you might also be against quest marker. I'd love to see more games giving you a choice, in the menus, to turn on or off quest markers, HUDs, fast travel etc. so you can play the game your way. Far Cry already does thing like this. I don't want you to miss out on your exploration. I also don't want other to get frustrated by the same experience.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
MC1980 Metioned diblo and that made me think about the most diablo like diablo clone. Torchlight 2. I both love and hate this game. The one key thing I think could "fix" it would be controller support. The controls are the same as diablo 2, click to move, click to attack. It's a clunky control system that is compounded the game being designed with a tone of avoidable attacks. You could have a really active action game with the player dodging then attacking if you just changed the controls to allow it. As the game is now, your more playing a stats game where you just absorb hits you could dodge because it's less finger strain.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Veldie said:
infohippie said:
Wow, rude. I already explained how it does in fact affect the game design. So many systems and potential gameplay elements never get implemented because fast travel makes them pointless, overall resulting in a less fun game. It's not a case of using it or not, it's a case of what it actually removes entirely from the game. If you're so time-poor, perhaps sprawling open world adventures aren't the right choice for you? And for games like TES you can be sure someone will mod in a fast travel system for you to use, which is fine. The important thing is for fast travel not to be included in the vanilla game so that the entire system of movement is developed without fast travel in mind, resulting in a better base game in the first place.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
trunkage said:
Saelune said:
I usually do Telvanni. But I find most quests in the game to be more interesting than Skyrim. Go to dungeon, find thing...woo. And even the more "interesting" ones are about killing something. I like that a ton of Morrowind quests dont require any killing at all, sometimes even when the quest says to kill a person, you can find alternative ways to finish it.

And as for forcing a feature...uh...most games do that actually. And "optional"? I mean, shooting people in Call of Duty is "optional" but you wont get far. And Morrowind is made without fast travel in mind. Oblivion and Skyrim are not. They should just make better teleportation spells to pacify those too lazy to enjoy exploration and adventurous travel. Plus with random encounters, that can be even more fun! If they remove fast travel (which they should) they should also make travel more fun and exciting.

Depth > Casual

Edit: To be clear, I am not using "casual" in a "filthy cazuals" kind of way...technically. I just think that making everything more easy isnt the best way to make a better open-world RPG that brags about being able to do what you want. They should not be afraid of making things more difficult when trying to add depth and variety to the game.
I can understand that you think that the quests are better. My personal prejudice about how the game is set up hinders my ability to like the quests. I do agree that most quest in Skyrim you have to kill and there isn't alternatives.

But then there is the quest Season Undending which is my favourite quest in all Elder Scrolls. All your major decision affects the outcome and it does the one thing I really want in these game - try to broker peace (even if its temporary. I got really frustrated with Fallout NV ending - I have a robot army! I should have been able to force people into peace talks or use it to police trade route between NCR and the Legion). In some ways the questing and dialogue is worse but I think sometimes it is better. (I literally stopped my playthrough of Skyrim at Season Unending because I didn't like the idea of the civil war starting again.) I could get into the civil conflict as I felt the two faction were well fleshed out and I would pick any side because they are both right (that is, if one side didn't promote slavery. Hard pass, no matter what your ideals are.)

So, as to fast travel. You don't personally have to use fast travel in Skyrim. Nothing makes you use it. But the option is there for those who wish. If you remove fast travel, you are restricting play for some people. For me, its about giving people the choice they want. If you travel somewhere once, you might not want to do it again. I understand you are an explorer, but there are plenty of other people out there who would like to play it their way.

Its like the discussion on quest marker, they have all these negative consequence but then you play Morrowind with its terrible directions and you realise why marker came about (I remember a time when they didn't have journals - it was god awful)

Now you might also be against quest marker. I'd love to see more games giving you a choice, in the menus, to turn on or off quest markers, HUDs, fast travel etc. so you can play the game your way. Far Cry already does thing like this. I don't want you to miss out on your exploration. I also don't want other to get frustrated by the same experience.
For New Vegas, I just imagine that with the ending with me in power, I do post credits force peace, since I like NCR as long as they have restrictions on them, though Caesar's Legion is just bad.

Seasons Unending is definately a better quest, but I still hold that quests of that caliber are more prevalent in Morrowind. And I also think had they kept the depth of Morrowind going, that Oblivion and Skyrim would have been games better than we could really imagine. I wanted what Morrowind had, but better, improved, fleshed out, not dumbed down.

I hate to sound harsh but...get over it. Doing a thing in a game, is part of the game. Do you complain about dropping your souls in Dark Souls when you die? Sometimes a game has things that are meant to be there, even if they arent "fun" in traditional ways. A cave deep in the wilderness filled with evil monsters feels more adventurous when you know...it feels like a cave deep in the wilderness. Zipping to and from everywhere is not adventurous. If you dont like adventure dont play a fantasy RPG?

I will also add to emphasize, I want Morrowind...but better. LOTS of great things about Morrowind could have been greater in sequels had they kept with it. I hate the compass markers, but if once you found and entered a place, it appeared or could be placed on your map, thats fine. But the act of finding and getting to it should be part of the experience.

Last time I played Morrowind I actually decided to uncover the entire map, and it was super fun to find all these places I never saw even after playing for...over 10 years. Magical compass map markers would have taken that away.

Oblivion and Skyrim are dumbed down from Morrowind, and that is just...dumb.

You want choice to do things the easy way? Its called the internet.