You have Portal 2 coming out before Episode 3?

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I guess that it will come in something like Orange Box 2, including all of the HLs, TF2 and both Portals.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
If the two universes truly are connected, then it would kind of make sense to build up both their story's for the truly epic conclusion.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
By the time Episode 3 comes out, no one will care any more, and anything it could've offered the gaming world will have been done 2x over.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
sorry for the double post. the first one delayed itself.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
thomasvano said:
I'm definitely going to jump on the Half-Life bandwagon. I'd like to see some closure to this story before I'm 30.
Agreed lackey of the Corpse Emperor! we need to get this ball rolling!
We must get more information than those few concept art pictures!

(quickly everyone! sign a Facebook Protest! :p )

Eolon

Aug 11, 2010
The Austin said:
I really don't see how portal became the massive cult phenomena that it is. You shoot portals everywhere. Yay.
The puzzles, the mind games, the storyline, the environment, innovative gameplay and cake. Valve Magic.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Let's look at the facts shall we?
Portal: Awesome.
Half Life 2: The most average game ever to disgrace the markets.
More Mortal = More Awesome.
More Half Life 2 = More overrated averageness that kills my hope for humanity through it's inexplicable popularity.
Besides; Valve's contribution to Portal was throwing money at the people who were already making it and then putting their name on it. I'm sure the same applies for Portal 2.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Drexlor said:
I have no doubts that Portal 2 will come out first. Hopefully this one will last longer that 2 hours. And if it doesn't, it better not cost $60.
They've already stated that it has a "more conventional length", about ten to fifteen hours. $40 sounds about right.
Wow... hope they dont run out of ideas for puzzles, or maybe they will make the levels way longer.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Souplex said:
Let's look at the facts shall we?
Portal: Awesome.
Half Life 2: The most average game ever to disgrace the markets.
More Mortal = More Awesome.
More Half Life 2 = More overrated averageness that kills my hope for humanity through it's inexplicable popularity.
Besides; Valve's contribution to Portal was throwing money at the people who were already making it and then putting their name on it. I'm sure the same applies for Portal 2.
I believe those facts are actually opinions good sir.

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
It's hardly a suprise that Portal 2 is scheduled to come out before Episode 3. Portal & Episode 2 came out at the same time and while neither game was slammed Portal was more popular, received better reviews and more accolades.

Given that, which sequel should they focus on first. At this stage I think it's pretty clear they're going to merge the Half Life and Portal stories so I'm sure Portal 2 will move along the Half-Life main plot in some way.

Arenari

Servant of Marvin the Martian
Nov 20, 2009
vallorn said:
thomasvano said:
I'm definitely going to jump on the Half-Life bandwagon. I'd like to see some closure to this story before I'm 30.
Agreed lackey of the Corpse Emperor! we need to get this ball rolling!
For one: I don't support the Emperor any more than you. I'm a far more ancient enemy of yours.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
ohgodalex said:
Pielikey said:
Oh come on, Episode 3 is clearly just going to be Gran Turismo 5 knowing the similar release date schedules.

EDIT: It's the new duke nukem forever
It is Duke Nukem Forever.
And my mind is officially blown for the day. GJ.

OT: It isn't that I like cake jokes. It is that Valve more than likely has every bit of an idea on where to go after E2 as any of us do.

Gabe Newell - "They take a helicopter to the arctic and.............fuck it, more zombies and cake."

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Stupid Valve... The longer they leave HL2:Ep3 the more they're going to have to do to keep up with the industry and make sure it doesn't suck...

... I mean like get it out of the road before people start expecting Kinect and 3D to be in it! o_O

Vorondil

Jan 1, 2010
NewYork_Comedian said:
Necrodin said:
If they take too long they are going to need to update the graphics to keep up with the standards of the future, and that would be a shame since the source engine was so revolutionary.
True, the sorce engine may have been amazing, but its starting to get old. I still think some parts of Half Life 2 look amazing and revolutionary for their time.
In my opinion, I would say that the Source Engine is already very aged, compared to ones such as CryEngine2, which is now 3 years old, or even moreso the upcoming CryEngine3/3.5 (Crysis 2, scheduled for March 2011).

I'd even go as far as saying Valve was fortunate that Crysis with it's CE2 didn't get a deeper penetration into the gamer communities, most likely due part to it's initially very steep jump in hardware requirements. My previous PC, which could run HL2 at max with very decent framerates, didn't even manage Crysis on the lowest possible settings.

Today when hardware performance has increased since 2007, and with CryEngine3 featuring console support, and further techonolgical improvements (such as being capable of hundreds of dynamic light sources simultaneously), I would say that it is likely that a massive rework of Source is the cause of such delay, 'cause not upgrading their engine would be, in my opinion, a very strategically unwise choise.

Disclaimer: I give the example of CE2/3 merely of an engine that in my view is superior to Source in almost every field that is of relevance to an Arcade FPS, and know also that while I try to be as objective as I can be, my opinion is slightly biased, as CryEngine is frekkin' awesome. ;)