You heard of New Zealand?

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
So I was on skype, and a friend and I were wondering how well my country, New Zealand, is known around the world? Its really hard to tell. For all I know, noone in the world knows what New Zealand is.

Also, if you are wondering the same about your own country, i encourage you post here for us to comment on.

So, what comes to mind, or have ya'll never heard of nz!

cynicalandbored

Nov 12, 2009
Lord of the Rings, sheep, hills, valleys, sheep, rugby, rugby, and more rugby. And unfortunate recent natural disasters, which were truly horrific. All that, and the kiwi bird. I assume I have the right country?

Oh, and Flight of the Conchords.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Some people may have heard of "our" obsession with rugby. (and I use the term "our" loosely as I have nothing to do with it whatsoever)

It's almost embarrassing to be honest.

I'm not ashamed to be an NZer but I find myself hoping that certain negative (though ultimately unimportant) aspects of our nation don't attract much of the public eye, such as "our" aforementioned obsession with rugby. But that's probably because I hate nationalism a lot.

In the past I was talking to a few random non-NZers on the internet about what they know about NZ and these two particular answers stick out in my mind:
1 - NZ women are incredibly stuck-up compared to women from other countries. This apparently does not include women from other countries who now live in NZ.
2 - Child abuse is prevalent.

They also mentioned Flight of the Concords. Yawn, I say.

I wonder how many non-NZers know of the NZ music scene, so to speak. Because I hate that too. :p

A lot.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm from England and I've been aware of NZ for as long as I can remember. I think I probably heard of Australia first, but I can't even remember a time where I didn't know about both. And rather unsurprisingly, NZ makes me think of things like LOTR and The Chronicles of Narnia, stunning countryside, rugby and the all blacks, and Kiwi birds. Also, probably a lot less predictably, this. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N6cj1xhQtE]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I admit I only came to know fully about New Zealand was from Lord of the Ring and also the Last Samurai. I also been told that sheep outnumber the population (someone told me that).
However from what I've seen from outisde of the film set it does look like a beatiful place (nature wise). Also last time I've check a friend of my from high school had went there to futher her career (I forgot what it was) so I'm glad that she went somewhere nice in pursuit of her career.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I live in NZ, came here from Korean when I was two. I think we're usually overshadowed by our bigger neighbour Australia. Words that come to mind are Lord of the Rings, the Kiwi, Sheep and Dairy Industry.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
OT: There was a show in America asking ordinary people to point out a certain country on the world map. A lot of them failed.

When asking to point out Europe (not a country, I know), someone pointed to Australia.

Heck, when asking to point out America, the country they live in, some people still got it wrong.

Anyhow, have I ever heard of New Zealand? I never hear anything about New Zealand. Its like it's completely removed from the know world. The only influence of NZ I can remember is Lord of the Rings.

Oh right, the answer: yes, I know of NZ. Just never hear anything about it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
One of my dearest friends lives in Hawke's Bay. So yeah, I know of the country.
quoting for truth, cause well :D she's that awesome

also, needs saying

the Kiwi bird is adorable

hehe, the captcha needs spell check XD

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I read an article earlier about a lady in NZ who discovered that an adorable baby seal had hopped through her cat door and taken up residence on her couch.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10772980

Seriously. Cutest thing you'll see all day.

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
4RM3D said:
OT: There was a show in America asking ordinary people to point out a certain country on the world map. A lot of them failed.

When asking to point out Europe (not a country, I know), someone pointed to Australia.

Heck, when asking to point out America, the country they live in, some people still got it wrong.
Is this real? Please tell me that it was a joke. >.< These people need a boot to the head!

OT: Yeah NZ. Kiwis, the All Blacks, LOTR, other stuff. I know of this place you speak of. I want to go there someday. I'd actually much rather go there than to Australia. I've yet to here of any deadly animals or insects from NZ. Until someone tells me that is...

the spud

May 2, 2011
Lord of the Rings, Bridge to Terribithia, and sheep. That is literally everything I know about New Zealand. Judging by the LotR films though, it looks like a beautiful place to be.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I'm from Canada, and all I know about New Zealand is that Lord of the Rings was filmed there and apparently you all fuck sheep.

Also your capital is Wellington.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Or not? Good god. Now I need to re-type my post? Fine, but I won't put the explanations this time.

I know of New Zealand because of three things:

1. Lewis Black

2. Scrubs

3. The obvious one: Lord of the Rings.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
You guys are my neighbours! Also lots of sheep, rugby, LOTR and my friend went over there on a school trip for skiing and bungie jumping and other awesome stuff.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Eyup, used to play with a guy from there on BFME2, was a ***** being able to play together with such a massive time difference (I was on the east coast of the US at the time)

Then I learned LOTR was filmed there, and I'll probably have to take some sort of pilgrimmage or something there.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
saucecode said:
no-one in the world knows what New Zealand is.
Considering I'm an Aussie and that basically means that we only remember you exist when we are playing you in Rugby (and winning naturally {unless we're loosing}).