You heard of New Zealand?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
New Zealand: Australia's Canada! (if that makes any sense).

I actually mean that in quite an affectionate way. Kiwiland is a place I could see myself living for a while, some day.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
All I know is that it's near Australia, it was inhabited by Aborigines, it was a British Colony, it's an Island, and that it is now one mile closer to Australia then it was. That and Sheep and Rugby. And the birds: Kiwi, Kokako and Kapopo.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Well... New Zealand is one of the god tier countries, so it gets 99+ relation points from me. Wonderful country from what I can gather.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Well I live in New Zealand, and its pretty good. I do get pissed when people call us Australians though, seriously, how can you confuse us with those things?

all joking aside, NZ ftw

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Of course I do! (maybe because I'm European, jk :D). When I first saw Lord of the Rings I fell in love with it *_* It's actually my dream to visit your country because the scenery looks magnificent *_*
I'm actually from Lithuania and I can guarantee that not many people know about it xD so yeah :D

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
maxmanrules said:
DanielBrown said:
I know about it. Not in depth, but the maori, local animals(sheeps ;)) and the nature are pretty known to me. Think it's pretty amazing that you have such rich and different envieroments. Recently watched the LOTR trilogy and it's hard to believe that all locations are in the same country.
I'm from Sweden, by the way. :>
Especially Mordor. You totally need to come over here and see that place ;)
Indeed!
And I didn't even know that there were that kind of elephants in the world.
Simply amazing!

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
WHAT? How can anyone not have heard of one of the countries on this planet?

These are the countries that I have never heard of: Benin, Comoros, Gabon, Kiribati, Nauru, Sao Tome, Vanuatu (from Wikipedia). That means there are well over 180 countries that I have heard of, and so has everybody else with at least rudimentary cognitive functioning.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
SilentJay22 said:
4RM3D said:
OT: There was a show in America asking ordinary people to point out a certain country on the world map. A lot of them failed.

When asking to point out Europe (not a country, I know), someone pointed to Australia.

Heck, when asking to point out America, the country they live in, some people still got it wrong.
Is this real? Please tell me that it was a joke. >.< These people need a boot to the head!

OT: Yeah NZ. Kiwis, the All Blacks, LOTR, other stuff. I know of this place you speak of. I want to go there someday. I'd actually much rather go there than to Australia. I've yet to here of any deadly animals or insects from NZ. Until someone tells me that is...
No, this is not a joke. At least half of the population of the U.S. has below average intelligence. There are more reasons as to why that is than I can count on 1 hand using the binary method (goes up to 32 if you count 0.) I won't even mention these reasons as the last thing I want to do is spark a debate on this thread.

OT: Yes, I have heard of NZ. Hell, My husband and I have a friend who moved there with his wife and daughter a few years back.

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
Why would you not know of New Zeland? I wish that was just a joke. I'm pretty sure they didn't film the Lord of the Rings in Middle Earth itself.
A friend of mine is there right now, it's pretty cool how you have any landscpae from beach to mountain in a small area. That is also the reason why a lot of filming for movies is done there actually.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
maxmanrules said:
GLo Jones said:
Being English, you have the sort of insects that would make me curl up in a ball and die of fear.
You do realise than is our ONLY insect right?
THAT IS ALL YOU NEED.

Keep it away from me.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
I've spent about half a week in NZ on the North Island (three days in Rotorua, a day in Auckland); my best friend is from Auckland; Lord of the Rings, naturally; one of my other friends' family is from NZ (Christchurch, I think?), though he as born here in Texas.

Yeah, I know what New Zealand is. I don't claim to "know NZ" but I'm aware of it.

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
gNetkamiko said:
No, this is not a joke. At least half of the population of the U.S. has below average intelligence.
Damn, I must be living with the good half.
Nouw said:
Deadly animals? Beware of the terrifying Weta. Did I mention it's a survivor of the cold? [http://www.cracked.com/article_18471_5-animals-that-are-terrifyingly-hard-to-kill.html] But don't squash it because it's endangered :)
I forgot about the Weta! That's... a huge bug!

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
I know three things about New Zealand.

1. Lord of the Rings was filmed there, or at least a good chunk was.

2. Its named after the Dutch province of Zeeland.

3. New Zealanders have an unnatural attraction to sheep.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I've heard of it, never been there, and the only parts of it that I've seen are the parts in Lord of the Rings. The 22 hour flight is perhaps my biggest cause of hesitation to visit.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
J-dog42 said:
Sorry, I have to ask, how on Earth did it take you 12 hours to get from Napier to Auckland? When I lived in Dannevirke it took seven, maybe eight. Now the twelve hour slog from Dunedin to Nelson, that is a mission.
To be honest I'm not sure. I'm guessing it was because it was our first time and our first car-ride from Auckland to Napier. And maybe you could shave off an hour or so.

Mimsofthedawg said:
I actually think that it wasn't the fact it took 12 hours, but the fact that it took 12 hours yet I had only gone something like a tiny, TINY fraction of the expanse of America. For example, if I told you that it would take me something like 100 or so hours to drive to San Francisco to New York, you'd probably have a hard time grasping what a car ride like that would be like. Catch my drift?
Aaah I understand now. 100 hours in a car would kill me X_X

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
GoldenFish said:
Phantomess said:
Born and bred in Auckland, baby!
HAHA, I name you jaffa as it is your birthright.

I'm a New Zealander and to be honest I was oblivious of all these sheep-New Zealand jokes overseas. I confess I haven't read very far past the post I just quoted but I'm surprised no one has mentioned New Zealand's anti-nuclear policy.
Quite happily a Jaffa! Speaking of which, those lovely orange chocolates, just MADE for rolling down the stairs in the movies or throwing at someone's head! :D

SpAc3man said:
Phantomess said:
Born and bred in Auckland, baby! Lived in Mairangi Bay, but most of the folks were from up near Whangarei. Was dragged from my home at the age of six and made to live in Australia by my uncaring parents, but one day... one day...
You poor lost soul... Were you near the beach? I'm from Rothesay Bay myself. Hope you find your way back one day.

- snip -

AND one last thing for everyone. They are NOT called kiwi birds. They are called kiwis. A kiwi is not a fruit. A kiwi fruit is a fruit. Its like calling a pigeon a "pigeon bird". Every time a New Zealander hears someone refer to our national icon as a "kiwi bird" and a kiwi fruit as just a kiwi they die a little inside. Its not right.
Hoping to get back in 2012 for my 25th. Was hoping to come home last year, but ended up in America instead. Was just as cold and damp there, only with much brighter lights. :)

I WAS near the beach! I went to Murray's Bay Primary School for a while before we moved across the ditch.

Also, Bluebird Chips ("Bluebird's the Word!"), Chocolate macaroons (the biscuits), L&P, Pascals Pineapple lumps and Raro. That is all.