You heard of New Zealand?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
most of what I know about New Zealand comes from this:
incidentally, that's most of what I know about Australia, too.

[sub][sub][sub]I am, of course, kidding[/sub][/sub][/sub]

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
I met a girl from New Zealand and I accused her of being an American speaking with an atrocious australian accent.

That was awkward.
I proceeded by asking her if she has sheep in her backyard.

Yes. Yes she did.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, I've heard of New Zealand. It's a nation of sheep, hobbits, Maoris, and the home of TGWTG reviewer Suede.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
I know it's a stones throw away from old Zealand.

(sorry if somebody already did this gag, it's a classic.)

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Lord of the Rings, Flight of the Conchords, The Naked + Famous = all great things that came out of New Zealand. Oh and Black Sheep! It may be more well known to me being from England over the US, and one of my best friends moved out there a few years back.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
cynicalandbored said:
ffs-dontcare said:
They also mentioned Flight of the Concords. Yawn, I say.
I happen to quite like Flight of the Conchords. And rugby, as it goes. Though apologies if I caused any offence. I just wanted to point out that I'd heard of New Zealand without having to go into much detail as regards what I actually know, which is quite a lot really, considering I live over half the world away. But yeah, sorry for any possible offence caused.
Not sure why you thought that would offend, but thanks anyway. :p

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
ffs-dontcare said:
Some people may have heard of "our" obsession with rugby. (and I use the term "our" loosely as I have nothing to do with it whatsoever)

I wonder how many non-NZers know of the NZ music scene, so to speak. Because I hate that too. :p

A lot.
You're telling me there are New Zealand acts and actors out there that haven't been stolen by Australia and ultimately been turned into Australians?

Amazing.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Flight of the Conchords, Dead-Alive.....that's what I know of New Zealand. A pastiche of funky comedy folk and sheep-sploitation.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
maxmanrules said:
Trucken said:
Sure, I've heard 'bout New Zeeland, but I'll admit I don't know much 'bout it. You're a part of the continent Oceania... Rugby seems to be pretty big down there... You qualified for last years FIFA World Cup and were the only team that left the tournament undefeated (three draws)... You had a pretty good contestant in the World's Strongest Man competition about ten years ago (can't remember his name)... Umm, sheep? Green country? I think that's all I got.
Three draws was bull though. The dam Italians faked an injury and got a penalty. Ooooh I'm mad about that now.
Well of course they faked an injury, they're Italians after all. :p

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I love New Zealand, and not just because of the Lord of the Rings films. I've always wanted to take a vacation there.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
holy_secret said:
I met a girl from New Zealand and I accused her of being an American speaking with an atrocious australian accent.

That was awkward.
I proceeded by asking her if she has sheep in her backyard.

Yes. Yes she did.
"No WIY! I'm not Imirican! But, yis, I do hiv sheep"

Was it something like that?

OT, I've just remembered that Steve Jackson's Braindead was filmed (and is set) in New Zealand, and it's my favourite 1950's-themed zombie film of all time.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, it's that island east of Austrailia that has a lot of sheep. I think I remember something about the Maori too.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
As an NZ ex-pat, I can tell you that most of the people I've met in France have heard of two things: LOTR and the All Blacks, which means that I either get accused of being a hobbit or asked to do the haka (or worse, they do their *own* impression of the haka, during which I bite my tongue and try not to be too offended). They also seem to think it's some kind of paradise on Earth, free of pollution (whoops), racism (sorry) and political bullshit (wrong again).

A number of the Americans I've met know of LOTR and Flight of the Conchords.

Most Brits I meet know of it, and thankfully most of them don't treat me like a scummy colonial.

Anyone else got something to add?

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I know there are two big islands?
The country is to the southeast of Australia?
Lord of the Rings was filmed there?
My general chemistry lab partner from last semester is from there?

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
Il admit when I was younger (10+ years ago) nobody new about NZ. Id be playing Diablo or something online, and when asked where I was people thought I was joking or had no idea what I was talking about.

But since LOTR came out, and generally tourists coming due to NZ being the most geographically diverse country, NZ has become alot more widly known. And even more now cause of Rugby World Cup I guess (I hate Rugby)

Heck I remember when I tried to purchase something online with Visa but I couldn't because PayPal did not include NZ =/

What else about us hmmm
- South Auckland is the shithole of the country
- Anywhere ive gone in the world, If I say im from NZ, the ladies swoon (as if we're some exotic race)
- We have unique animals (Kiwi, Weta, Moa (Extinct))
- Mother Nature is angry with as at the moment
- 3rd largest dairy export (Consider how small NZ is)
- Peter Jackson is ours =)
- Flag soon to change
- FootRot Flats
- Hobbit (Im in it YAY)
- Strange accent
- Government has always been funky
- Despite Auckland being the largest city. Wellington is the Capital
- Finally shaking off affiliation with Britan and Australia

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Born and living in New Zealand, in Quake-vil, its not a very interesting country to be frank, apparently we are alot like Canada, so yeah pretty boring and easy going.