You heard of New Zealand?

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
All I know is that it's near Australia, it was inhabited by Aborigines, it was a British Colony, it's an Island, and that it is now one mile closer to Australia then it was. That and Sheep and Rugby. And the birds: Kiwi, Kokako and Kapopo.
Abo's are from Australia. We have Maori's here =)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
cynicalandbored said:
Lord of the Rings, sheep, hills, valleys, sheep, rugby, rugby, and more rugby. And unfortunate recent natural disasters, which were truly horrific. All that, and the kiwi bird. I assume I have the right country?

Oh, and Flight of the Conchords.
And the Haka. I also understand it to be a spot of contentious humor for Australians. Though, I hear they have river rafting through a cave with a large abundance of bioluminescent organisms on the walls of the cave, so they seem alright in my book.

Oh, and one of the sexiest accents I've ever heard was spoken by a girl from New Zealand. Coincidentally, I'd love to visit.

Mimsofthedawg said:
I actually think that it wasn't the fact it took 12 hours, but the fact that it took 12 hours yet I had only gone something like a tiny, TINY fraction of the expanse of America. For example, if I told you that it would take me something like 100 or so hours to drive to San Francisco to New York, you'd probably have a hard time grasping what a car ride like that would be like. Catch my drift?
Wait, what? How is that even possible? Did you stop at every store? From ocean to ocean takes about 40 hours, give or take. Cutting the middle of the country, it would be maybe 55 hours, not counting overnight stops, factoring in a few hours for gas and food. What did you do, go all the way down to key west first? How, man?

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I've been to New Zealand for a holiday and it was awesome, I only went to the South Island but it was awesome.

dark-mortality

Apr 7, 2011
New Zealand? Of course I have heard about it. It's the capital of Australia, right? RIGHT????

Okay, in all seriousness, Yes I have heard about New Zealand. It is kind of hard to miss on the map too after all. What about Norway? How many people here know that Norway is NOT the capital of Sweden? I know, a total shocker. Norway is actually a country... I am so proud of being a viking <3 Vikings were actually the first immigrants to America :D ...But then we got killed by the indians... Indians are awesome too it seems!

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
Here's what I know: sheeps, LoTR, kiwi bird, and ..uhm.. sheeps. Also I can point it out on the map in an instant. (go me!)
In other words I don't know much...

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
volX said:
What i know NZ most fore are actually the Maori. I wouldnt have thought they would be neglected so much.
Couldnt care less about rugby or lotr, but how can you neglect people with those awesome face tatoos(not everybody of course).
Yea they are the defining point of NZ for me.
Where did you hear we neglect them? NZ has the best Native race relations of any other country. Considering 200 hundred years ago (When NZ was founded) The Colonists didnt kill them all, enslave them, or drive them out. Infact today the Maori have a huge influence on how the country is run by the Govt. Not to mention fact that they are at least 40% of the population. They are given free tertiary education, housing and own sacred land for thier rich culture

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Everyone knows about Australia and its biggest island state.

Otherwise known as 'CefiroLand' or 'That cold place with the mountains'

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
dark-mortality said:
Okay, in all seriousness, Yes I have heard about New Zealand. It is kind of hard to miss on the map too after all. What about Norway? How many people here know that Norway is NOT the capital of Sweden? I know, a total shocker. Norway is actually a country... I am so proud of being a viking <3 Vikings were actually the first immigrants to America :D ...But then we got killed by the indians... Indians are awesome too it seems!
The Vikings landed in Newfoundland, everyone knows Newfoundland is not part of North America. Canadians will back me up on this :p

Oh, remembered something else about New Zealand: In John Wyndham's book The Chrysalids you guys survive the destruction of the world by nukes and become a utopia. While Newfoundland becomes a militantly religious xenophobic and racially biased shit hole (no surprise there). I kid, I kid.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
ffs-dontcare said:
I wonder how many non-NZers know of the NZ music scene, so to speak. Because I hate that too. :p

A lot.
From what I saw, it was a lot of islanders attempting to mimmick US gang culture. But New Zealand is far too friendly to pull that off!

I've got an awesome Drum & Bass album from 2003, which I picked up in Albany a few years back. It sounded like something from the late nineties.

New Zealand is a few years behind in a lot of things. But Kasabian were bigger earlier in NZ than here from what I gather, my sister posted me their CD a few weeks before I'd heard of them!

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah, basically, what ever New Zealand-based stuff gets filtered over into American culture. So Peter Jackson, sheep, the Maori, and kiwi birds. Now I feel like the stereotypical ignorant American...oh wait, you have a volcano called Ruapehu. I learned that somewhere a long time ago. There, now I feel smart again.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Lived here 24 years and counting so yeah, I know a bit.

NZ and NZers are a bit starved for attetion I think, maybe a little due to insecurity but mostly because we like to be recognised for what we accomplish - and we don't do too poorly for a isolated out-of-the-way nation of four-or-so million. This kind of contrasts with the whole self-depreciating sense of humour. Still, the best way to sell a product in NZ is to get an accented person, (mostly US,) singing false praises about our beer or whatever.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I don't know a whole lot about it but I know it exists. If I remember correctly, it's near Australia.

Hmm. Anyone know about Canada? :p

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Im from Australia so yeah I've heard about you. We probably get more New Zealand news & shows then any other country besides new Zealand.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Heard of it? I live here!

Oh, and the sheep-outnumbering-people thing; this is true of any farming country in the world, not just unique to New Zealand.
well do you have a flag?

NinjaOnXTC

Apr 25, 2011
LogieBear said:
volX said:
What i know NZ most fore are actually the Maori. I wouldnt have thought they would be neglected so much.
Couldnt care less about rugby or lotr, but how can you neglect people with those awesome face tatoos(not everybody of course).
Yea they are the defining point of NZ for me.
Where did you hear we neglect them? NZ has the best Native race relations of any other country. Considering 200 hundred years ago (When NZ was founded) The Colonists didnt kill them all, enslave them, or drive them out. Infact today the Maori have a huge influence on how the country is run by the Govt. Not to mention fact that they are at least 40% of the population. They are given free tertiary education, housing and own sacred land for thier rich culture
Not to mention that they are the majority of the prison population, and the only people who have chased me down a free-way while high on P. Also make up the majority of the broken homes in NZ.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
saucecode said:
So I was on skype, and a friend and I were wondering how well my country, New Zealand, is known around the world? Its really hard to tell. For all I know, noone in the world knows what New Zealand is.

Also, if you are wondering the same about your own country, i encourage you post here for us to comment on.

So, what comes to mind, or have ya'll never heard of nz!
I know it well, but that is mainly because I'm from Australia, so we are practically neighbours haha. I don't think it is really that unknown to the world, but I don't know a lot of Americans and Europeans who might not know it as well as those closer.