You know what game we might never get to see remake or remaster of? Splinter Cell Double Agent.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So Splinter Cell, Classic series of Stealth based games where you play as Sam Fisher, an agent of a secret sub faction of the National Security Agency called Third Echelon. And you go on missions of stealth and subtlty to infiltrate, and execute missions against terrorists factions or warlords, or any threat to America and global peace.

We had 3 games forming the classic trilogy of the series, Splinter Cell the original game, Pandora Tomorrow, and what is considered the peak of the series, Chaos Theory. And preferably the best versions of these games were the Xbox and PC version.

Now we come to Double Agent, not a bad game at all, far from it, but it was the first in the decline era, but still regarded as a good game up there with the older ones. Basically its the Silent Hill 4 The Room of Splinter Cell.

Now here's where it gets complicated, Double Agent came out in the transitional period of one generation of consoles (The OG Xbox) to the next generation (The Xbox 360), so Ubisoft made a rather interesting idea, they basically developed 2 different versions of the same game but for each generation.

They hired Ubisoft Montreal, the original creators of the Splinter Cell game in the first place, to make the OG Xbox version, while Ubisoft Shanghai, the guys that worked on Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, worked on the Next Gen Xbox 360 version.

Both games generally follow the same story, the same characters at play here, the same premise, but eventually started deviating wildly, in terms of level design, plot progression and outcomes, and general gameplay.

OG Xbox Double Agent played like a direct sequel to Chaos Theory, while Xbox 360 Double Agent did its own thing with the gameplay.

But now here's the issue, if there was ever a chance Ubisoft somehow remakes/remasters these games, Double Agent is in a state where its gonna be hard to do so because which Double Agent are you going to remaster or remake? Ideally they may as well do both, but alas I don't trust Ubisoft to do that.

So yeah, that's my piece regarding Splinter Cell, here's some gameplay footage to see the different between the two generations of Double Agent.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So Splinter Cell, Classic series of Stealth based games where you play as Sam Fisher, an agent of a secret sub faction of the National Security Agency called Third Echelon. And you go on missions of stealth and subtlty to infiltrate, and execute missions against terrorists factions or warlords, or any threat to America and global peace.

We had 3 games forming the classic trilogy of the series, Splinter Cell the original game, Pandora Tomorrow, and what is considered the peak of the series, Chaos Theory. And preferably the best versions of these games were the Xbox and PC version.

Now we come to Double Agent, not a bad game at all, far from it, but it was the first in the decline era, but still regarded as a good game up there with the older ones. Basically its the Silent Hill 4 The Room of Splinter Cell.

Now here's where it gets complicated, Double Agent came out in the transitional period of one generation of consoles (The OG Xbox) to the next generation (The Xbox 360), so Ubisoft made a rather interesting idea, they basically developed 2 different versions of the same game but for each generation.

They hired Ubisoft Montreal, the original creators of the Splinter Cell game in the first place, to make the OG Xbox version, while Ubisoft Shanghai, the guys that worked on Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, worked on the Next Gen Xbox 360 version.

Both games generally follow the same story, the same characters at play here, the same premise, but eventually started deviating wildly, in terms of level design, plot progression and outcomes, and general gameplay.

OG Xbox Double Agent played like a direct sequel to Chaos Theory, while Xbox 360 Double Agent did its own thing with the gameplay.

But now here's the issue, if there was ever a chance Ubisoft somehow remakes/remasters these games, Double Agent is in a state where its gonna be hard to do so because which Double Agent are you going to remaster or remake? Ideally they may as well do both, but alas I don't trust Ubisoft to do that.

So yeah, that's my piece regarding Splinter Cell, here's some gameplay footage to see the different between the two generations of Double Agent.

Okay, in what universe is Pandora Tomorrow the considered the "peak of the series?" Chaos Theory has that title hands down, bar none. Not only is it the best Splinter Cell, it's been argued it's one of the best games of the OG Xbox/PS2 generation PERIOD.

That said, if we get a remake/remaster of ANY Splinter Cell games with no concrete word on the next iterative title on the horizon, I'll be pissed. I mean, I'll still buy it because Splinter Cell is one of my favorite franchises, and I'm blue-balling for a new game, but Double Agent is the last on my list for such treatment. I don't care about the divergent paths the differing generations took; it is arguably the least "Splinter Cell" of the lot. Still a good game, but to scratch the itch for longtime fans, Chaos Theory is the title deserving of a remaster if that's all we might get.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Okay, in what universe is Pandora Tomorrow the considered the "peak of the series?" Chaos Theory has that title hands down, bar none. Not only is it the best Splinter Cell, it's been argued it's one of the best games of the OG Xbox/PS2 generation PERIOD.

That said, if we get a remake/remaster of ANY Splinter Cell games with no concrete word on the next iterative title on the horizon, I'll be pissed. I mean, I'll still buy it because Splinter Cell is one of my favorite franchises, and I'm blue-balling for a new game, but Double Agent is the last on my list for such treatment. I don't care about the divergent paths the differing generations took; it is arguably the least "Splinter Cell" of the lot. Still a good game, but to scratch the itch for longtime fans, Chaos Theory is the title deserving of a remaster if that's all we might get.
I did say the peak of the series was Chaos Theory?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never got too much in to Splinter Cell, but I do respect the series for what it accomplished. I only played a few games here and there, but it was usually at a friend's house. The only one I vaguely remember playing was Conviction. Conviction was just Ubisoft copying Taken, but still better than the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You missed a spot.

We had 3 games forming the classic trilogy of the series, Splinter Cell the original game, Pandora Tomorrow, and what is considered the peak of the series, Chaos Theory.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I never got too much in to Splinter Cell, but I did respect the series for what it accomplished. I only played a few games here and there, but it was usually at a friend's house. The only one I vaguely remember playing was Conviction. Conviction was just Ubisoft copying Taken, but still better than the latter.
If you ever get an Xbox One or Xbox Series X, they have all the old Xbox versions of the game. They even include both OG Xbox and 360 versions of Double Agent in the Microsoft store.

The best thing about the Xbox Series X is not only just the backwards compatibility, but also the fact they have gotten the "Xbox Enhanced" upgrade, improving performance. Like for example the best way to play Final Fantasy 13 is the Xbox 360 version played on a Series X.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you ever get an Xbox One or Xbox Series X, they have all the old Xbox versions of the game. They even include both OG Xbox and 360 versions of Double Agent in the Microsoft store.

The best thing about the Xbox Series X is not only just the backwards compatibility, but also the fact they have gotten the "Xbox Enhanced" upgrade, improving performance. Like for example the best way to play Final Fantasy 13 is the Xbox 360 version played on a Series X.
I do have a XBOX One X. My brother let me buy the console for $150.00.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I do have a XBOX One X. My brother let me buy the console for $150.00.
Xbox One X also has the same enhancements for older games so enjoy the improved library of older games, highly recommened you get the classic Splinter Cell games

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I did say the peak of the series was Chaos Theory?
You missed a spot.
Yeah, I misread it, and in my fury, typed before re-reading the complete inanity I thought you said. I don't have any children of my own, and have long since taken Chaos Theory under my wing as the closest thing to such, and will defend it with blind rage to my dying breath. My apologies.

I stand by the rest of my sentiments, though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I misread it, and in my fury, typed before re-reading the complete inanity I thought you said. I don't have any children of my own, and have long since taken Chaos Theory under my wing as the closest thing to such, and will defend it with blind rage to my dying breath. My apologies.

I stand by the rest of my sentiments, though.

Well that’s just pure chaos. Chaos I say! That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I’d like a remake of Pandora Tomorrow mainly because there’s some weird arcane driver issue that makes it not work because of its lighting engine or something.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I’d like a remake of Pandora Tomorrow mainly because there’s some weird arcane driver issue that makes it not work because of its lighting engine or something.
At this point, I'd honestly (begrudgingly) take a remake of ANY Splinter Cell since a new title doesn't seem to be of interest to Ubisoft at the moment.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I had something similar happen with Chaos Theory on Steam many years ago. Idk if it was ever fixed but I gave up caring and therefore remain unaware of what made the game so great.