You know what I liked about Dragon Age?

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
You know what I liked about Dragon Age? For once, they did something with dwarves besides the lazy default "short Scotsmen who get drunk and fight with axes and like gold a whole lot". It was refreshing seeing dwarven society with castes and court intrigue and assassinations and all that.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
BeeRye said:
MetaMop said:
It's just something that bothers me for some reason. Try carrying 40,000 pieces of gold and see how far you can walk. Or do these fantasy worlds have banks and credit cards?
What you forget is that when you get 100 copper the came automatically converts it into one silver without any mention of how this is done. So try hundreds of thousands of copper coins and see how far you get.
Obviously the solution is material transmutation. In a world full of alchemists and magic, it seems reasonable enough that a purse would be invented that performed the process automatically.

Especially when the world economy is so utterly broken that people pay actual money for garbage. Not even "this might be useful" garbage. I mean, people will pay money for litter that I picked out of a pile of trash.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Garak73 said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
BeeRye said:
MetaMop said:
It's just something that bothers me for some reason. Try carrying 40,000 pieces of gold and see how far you can walk. Or do these fantasy worlds have banks and credit cards?
What you forget is that when you get 100 copper the came automatically converts it into one silver without any mention of how this is done. So try hundreds of thousands of copper coins and see how far you get.
Obviously the solution is material transmutation. In a world full of alchemists and magic, it seems reasonable enough that a purse would be invented that performed the process automatically.

Especially when the world economy is so utterly broken that people pay actual money for garbage. Not even "this might be useful" garbage. I mean, people will pay money for litter that I picked out of a pile of trash.
In a medieval world they have better technology than we do now? Not likely. I mean, we don't have purses that change 4 quarters into a dollar or 20 1 dollar bills into a $20.
Given that the technology in question (alchemy) is considered to be hogwash, I hardly think it matters. Besides, this is a world where someone (a mage) can disrupt the fabric of reality itself with a thought and bend death itself to their will. A magical purse that transmutes money is such a paltry show of magical power that they would be mass produced trinkets available to anyone with enough money to have to worry about such an inconvenience.