You stole my kill!

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
After playing a significant amount of online shooters you most likely have been accused of "stealing kills". Alright, I can understand downed enemies in Gears of War, final stand in Call of Duty. But, I'm referring to just normal fair and square kills.

I'm running around, I see an enemy so I shoot and kill him. But, someone else was about to kill the guy I just killed, so therefore "I'm a kill stealing ******". It just doesn't make sense to me. What do they expect me to do? I see an enemy I make absolutely sure no teammates are around and then and only then do I shoot him?

By their logic if they got the kill first, I could accuse them of "stealing my kill". Needless to say a lot of people online are scumbags. I just don't understand the logic.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
I don't play online much, so I don't often get accused of that, but the general rule seems to be that some people just want an excuse to be angry. Their self-entitlement overpowers all of their other emotions, so they must be the one getting every kill. So if you kill someone, anyone, you are a kill stealing ******. In their opinion.

Semi-related, if I summon assassin recruits in Assassins' Creed: Revelations, and during the fight am in the process of sync-killing someone, my recruits have the tendency to push me aside to kill the enemy the rest of the way dead.

Kinda like: "No, no, Mentor, I've got this one, you hang back and just watch."

It gets a tad annoying. I CAN DO IT MYSELF GUYS.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Either you're playing a team based game, or free for all.

If it's free for all - Tough shit. Finish your plate next time son.

If it's team based - Who gives a shit? It's a dead enemy. Team benefits as much from "YOUR" kill as much as "MY" kill.

If they're still bitching about them, it suggest that they're too kill hungry, and therefore recommend them satiating their hunger by eating a dick.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
This is online play. There is no logic, only degrees of stupidity. Just ignore them, and kill something else.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
I don't think this is a fair complaint in an FPS. When it's one burst to kill someone then it's usually about who fires first. I see a bad guy, I shoot. I don't check to see if anyone else is lining up a shot because that pause will get you killed.

On the other hand, this happens a lot in combat flight sims. I do think it's a bit different on those because getting a kill can involve a long drawn out dogfight lasting several minutes between skilled players. It's not uncommon to shoot up an enemy aircraft, and when it's on fire or otherwise heavily damaged, suddenly see an opportunist (usually someone who doesn't have the skill to get into a fair fight) swoop down and put in the killing burst against a crippled target that they did none of the hard work on. My usual tactic for dealing with them is to swap sides and spend the rest of the match hunting them down. This continues until they get sick of being unable to even get their landing gear up and trimmed for flight without having their wings ripped into bog roll.

I don't mind if the kill is taken by someone I have worked as a team with to take down a particularly troublesome opponent or a buddy who I'm double teaming with but I really don't like people with no skill taking advantage of someone else's hard work.

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
I don't mind taking or having my kills taken. In Battlefield 3 in fact I've often found that combining kill assist, spot and suppression bonuses often get more than the 100 points for a straight kill. That plus in the end of the day, everyone in BF3 tends to work as a team...unlike COD where its more a free-for-all, despite being on sides.

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
nikki191 said:
ive gotten it alot playing world of tanks. it does get expensive firing and realising they have just been killed the instant you fired though
With world of tanks its not a big deal realy, considering you get exp and credits based on damage done rather then kills :D

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ando85 said:
Alright, I can understand downed enemies in Gears of War, final stand in Call of Duty.
Even those I feel are fair game. I don't play Gears so maybe it's different but when they're in last stand, they still get to fire at me. You wanted the kill, you should have finished him instead of making me risk myself to take him out.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I can't stand people who whine about kill stealing. If I see an enemy, I will shoot them. I'm not going to wait around for someone else to notice them and do it for me. If it's a free-for-all, then tough shit. If it's a team game, then who gives a shit who got the kill, our team now has an easier time.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Online gameplay follows only two laws, in my experience:

1. If you can kill them, you're a noob.
2. If they can't kill you, you're a hacker.

As for the kill stealing, I don't really play online much, but if I end up stealing a kill and someone tries to call me out on it, I go: So? He's dead, you're not. Go kill someone.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
The only games I can think of where KSing could be a bad thing is Moba games. If you are playing a supporting role and rush in to last hit an enemy champion over a carry, then you are costing the overall strength of the team. Though even there it's not that big a deal. FPS who cares who gets the kills.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
nikki191 said:
ive gotten it alot playing world of tanks. it does get expensive firing and realising they have just been killed the instant you fired though
True, and it does get annoying when you just whittled someones health all the way down, but someone else fires the last shot. And you don't even get an assist in WoT or anything. I'm not blaming them, I'd do the same thing in their situation, but it's still annoying.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Only time I would get mad for someone team killing is if it was a situation where it was really stealing the kill. Like I was assassinating someone in Reach, and someone came up and took the kill.

There was no reason, but they did anyway.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Never been bothered by it, a dead enemy is a good enemy. Only shut-in geeks who believe their k/d matters in real life give a shit about a lost kill.

95spartans

Jul 18, 2011
Kill stealing does make sense in some games. For example in the first 5ish rounds of nazi/black opps zombies when everyone usually just takes one door out of four to defend. sometimes someone will kill the zombies on your door stopping you getting enough points to get a half decent weapon early on, which will get you killed.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
It's mostly stupid yeah but when you chase down and enemy to kill them because they are running around corners and you know that you need them to be a bit more open to kill them and then after finally chasing them where you know you can kill them uncontested you have someone come along and kill him. I'm not saying it's kill stealing since your teammate most likely didn't know the ordeal you went through to get them kill but it's hard not to get annoyed in those circumstances.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I play League of Legends a lot and I always hear cries of "KS"

The only real "kill steal" I have problem with are from people who feel the need to "last hit" every kill, and ONLY "Last hit" (meaning they stand back on every fight and only participate when their skills can burst them down.

Or people who use their 3 minute cooldowns, to kill someone with 20 health, when they're already going to die from ignite, or when I can double flash and hit them with a 3 sec. Cooldown.

Lot's of LoL/RPG lingo there, sorry if you don't understand that. However it still doesn't get me mad because most games distribute points based on how much you helped, not based on the kill itself.