You Too Can Name the Moons of Pluto

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Peresphone should definitely make it for sure, if not i'll be disappointed.

as for the other, i picked orpheus mostly cause im a persona fan. I think cerberus is a bit too cool sounding of a name to use here. it would be much cooler if we found some sorta exoplanet with three moons or something to do with three.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
JonB said:
Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto in 2930
And then what... came back in time a thousand years to break the news to everyone? :p

Yeah I'm thinking Persephone and Styx as well.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
JonB said:
He came back in time and instead of warning us about Hitler or something, he gives us Pluto, which a time after he tells us of it, we throw out its planet status? Yeah, that was worth it.

Squilookle said:
And then what... came back in time a hundred years to break the news to everyone? :p
Try a thousand.

I vote that one of the moons be named Soren, so that in arguments, I can say "Oh yeah, well I have a moon named after me!"

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Squilookle said:
JonB said:
And then what... came back in time a hundred years to break the news to everyone? :p

Yeah I'm thinking Persephone and Styx as well.
A hundred years?

You get relegated to grade 5.

I vote for Thelma and Louise or Bonnie and Clyde.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
soren7550 said:
JonB said:
He came back in time and instead of warning us about Hitler or something, he gives us Pluto, which a time after he tells us of it, we throw out its planet status? Yeah, that was worth it.
Don't tell that, given the chance to activate the world's only time machine, there isn't even a tiny part of you that would be tempted to use it in the most pointless way you could think of just to spite everyone who wanted to solve world hunger.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
I immediatly thought Cerberus, but I was a bit torn between Persophone and Styx, but I feel they should be named after charecters in Hades, rather than major geographic features of Hades. Calling a small moon orbitting Pluto Styx, refering to the giant river running into the underwolrd, on which the boatman Charon drives his boat just feels weird. So Cerberus and Persophone it is, with Orpheus being a close second.

KrimsonNekros

Jan 21, 2013
Persephone and Cerberus were my choices. Persephone was his wife, and you gotta have Cerberus. He's a great guard dog and an excellent representative of the trichotomy of time and how it invades everything even death.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Dragoon said:
I voted for Cerberus and Styx, they sound the best to me plus they link nicely from a mythology standpoint.
I also went with this. How could cerberus not have a spot with pluto?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
soren7550 said:
JonB said:

Squilookle said:
Try a thousand.

I vote that one of the moons be named Soren, so that in arguments, I can say "Oh yeah, well I have a moon named after me!"
Haha ooh boy do I look like a twit now.

Still, since nobody mentioned it beforehand I should get a bonus for that. Guess in the end I just broke even.

Eagi

Dec 10, 2008
Dragoon said:
I voted for Cerberus and Styx, they sound the best to me plus they link nicely from a mythology standpoint.
Yeah that appealed to me as well, given it's the outer edge of our solar system they seem to bar our way in to the darkness.

batti

Mar 18, 2009
Hungur(Hunger) and Sultur(Famine), the cutlery of Hel in Norse mythology

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sixcess said:
Mondas and Telos.

At least until we discover a tenth planet.
There had been one, but I think it was registered too small and just gets called Planet X.

Anyway, Mondas exploded.

werewolfsfury said:
Come! Orpheus!
My vote goes to Orpheus and Thanatos, then.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Ahem. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1865_Cerberus]

There's literally more names in Roman mythology than anyone can deal with, how the heck do we keep trying to give planets the same name?

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
I went with Cerberus and Erebus. The former because he was the guardian of the underworld, the second because he was a spirit in the underworld who's wife/lover/mother-of-his-children was already represented among the moons (Nix).