you wake up in the morning, and it's been announced that in american women have lost voting rights

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
DoomyMcDoom said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
I'd read that in the news and thing to myself "well, this almost seems fitting what with the direction the US has been going lately, well, their fault they haven't risen up against their horribly corrupt government back when they still had the chance to succeed..." cuz honestly, y'all should've revolted years ago, the system you have going on, benefits nobody but those in power and those at the top of corporate business, it's a broken system...

But hey, who am I to say anything, I'm just an observant Canadian, live how you wanna live.
How's Quebec treating ya?[/OhSnap!]
What about Quebec? Are you thinking of the idiot separatist movement? The students who've been protesting the raising of the tuition fees(which in said province are the lowest in all of canada by a large margin), or are you maybe just refering to the seat of our government...

And if so, what of it? Our country isn't floundering in a sinking hole of debt and poverty, unlike quite a few countries I could name, worst of which right now seems to be greece(I'd hate to live there).
Separatist.

Also, we stole Wayne Gretzky from you. He retired on an American Team.

Admittedly, I'm just trying to get your goat. Keep that in mind. :p
Yeah, even most separatists realize that now is not the time, if ever to separate from Canada, which is why the movement has been less agressive lately, who knows in the future though.
I figured you were trying to get my goat, I decided it might be fun to play along, I mean if you could find enough fire to light more than a candle, then it might've been kinda fun, however there really isn't much bad one can say about Canada, hell most of the stuff other people use, you didn't (Most likely because you know it's overused, cliche as hell, and mostly stupid sounding, or just plain wrong). :D

Capcha: "maple syrup", yes capcha, we make some damn fine maple syrup here in Canada.
I legit aspire to immigrate there one day. Everything I've ever been told about Canada through media and people has always been positive.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Turns out there was a fine print in women's suffrage that it would expire at that days date, and everyone kinda missed it. Whoops. It's also like what? Two DAYS AFTER MITT ROMNEY WAS ELECTED?
Fixed that for you.

My girlfriend is disabled, and if she couldn't get government funded health care and couldn't work, as Romney plans, we are moving to Canada. Seriously. That is our plan if Romney is elected.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
mjcabooseblu said:
Then I would congratulate mister Romney on his presidency and wait patiently for my state's secession.
Snap!
Yeah, I can't wait for Mister 50's to become the most powerful man in the world...

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
I legit aspire to immigrate there one day. Everything I've ever been told about Canada through media and people has always been positive.
Well, if you do end up immigrating, you'll likely never regret it.
Also if you end up on the east or west coasts rather than the mainland, I can give you all sorts of suggestions when it comes to good beverage options, mainly of the beer variety, and well... The coasts tend to be more laid back, relaxed, and friendly, than the mainland, east coast is cheaper to live, west coast is warmer and has almost no french speakers, also has a booming marijuana market, but that's a different story.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Calibanbutcher said:
Kopikatsu said:
They should just take away men's votes while they're at it.

It's not like the popular vote has ever meant anything.

Decide issues via boxing match.
Oh please, everyone knows the only correct way to decide such important matters is a tag-cage-death-match.
Giant battlesuit fight! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102800/

OT: Well, it's about time!

Ha ha, but seriously, never happen.

To your boldface question: When the majority of people believe they suffer intolerably and/or suffer without sufficient purpose, there will be rebellion. When government unduly deprives people of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, it's time for new government.

These are generalizations, of course. States executing a few mass murderers for the greater good is technically depriving them of life, but only after they've forfeited that right by their heinous acts. On the other hand you've got governments like Stalin's Russia, wherein millions of citizens were arrested without evidence, convicted without trial, and stuck in labor camps until they died from cold, starvation, and sheer exhaustion. There's some gray area between those two examples. It's hard to say exactly when revolution becomes necessary.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Turns out there was a fine print in women's suffrage that it would expire at that days date, and everyone kinda missed it. Whoops. It's also like what? Two weeks before the presidential election?

What do you do in response? More importantly, how long are you willing to wait patiently for them to renew it? And if they start taking to long, if you're a feminist, how long before you start to rebel against the government?
What would I, as a woman, do? Go Vote.

Just because the "we have to let women vote now" part of the constitution was on a timer doesn't mean they're going to stop women from doing it. And if they try, I'll be there, demanding to vote anyway.

Dularn

Nov 7, 2006
Well first of all this is an absurd scenario. I rarely wake up in the morning.

I would think to myself 'only in America' and go about the rest of my day.

If it happened in my country I would be very pissed off and I imagine there would be large scale protests. The change would not last long.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Turns out there was a fine print in women's suffrage that it would expire at that days date, and everyone kinda missed it. Whoops. It's also like what? Two weeks before the presidential election?

What do you do in response? More importantly, how long are you willing to wait patiently for them to renew it? And if they start taking to long, if you're a feminist, how long before you start to rebel against the government?

Just because the "we have to let women vote now" part of the constitution was on a timer doesn't mean they're going to stop women from doing it. And if they try, I'll be there, demanding to vote anyway.
Wouldn't that be as fruitless as trying to order an EggMcMuffin in the middle of the day?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
cotss2012 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
4. Remembers that the 19th amendment protects women's right to vote
The whole thread is about the 19th Amendment having some kind of hidden sunset provision.
No, no there isn't.

Here is a link to the entire proposed and passed 19th amendment, and I have read all the half page of text, and let me tell you, THERE IS NO PLACE TO HIDE A SUNSET CLAUSE: http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=63

Look in the Constitution, there is NO place where it says amendments can be made for limited times. None. What your saying is legally impossible under current US constitutional law. Literally zero. The only way this could happen is if Congress made a NEW amendment banning women from voting. That would require 2/3 of both the House and Senate passing it, then 2/3 of all the states (who half of the population, might I remind you, are WOMEN) passing it as well. If your going to come up with a hypothetical scenario, do not make ones that are LITERALLY impossible, unless the government declared themselves a military dictatorship, and takes away women rights just to be petty.

In that case, the fact women can't vote would be the least of our problems.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

Wouldn't that be as fruitless as trying to order an EggMcMuffin in the middle of the day?
If one woman does it? Sure.

If 100,000,000 woman do it?

Yeah.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
i'd sit in my chair, staring at the screen and then think "Well, that's probably the last fuck-up they did over there."

And i wouldn't be too suprised.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I would laugh and shrug because there's no way anyone, including Congress would take that seriously.

KRbertsproduck5

May 29, 2010
I've been skimming these comments and it turns out Im one of the few Americans/non Australian. I honestly wouldn't be to happy. I am male but America has made so many advancements in our history that taking away a right given to anybody would seem like a giant step in the opposite direction that this country has been moving in.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Absolutely nothing would change because the US will simply ignore the constitution if it is inconvenient and starting another convention to add another amendment would be a pain in the ass. And that's a good thing. If they had reason to start another convention, I don't think they'd be able to resist adding some really horrible shit to it in the guise of fixing the suffrage issues.