you wake up in the morning, and it's been announced that in american women have lost voting rights

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I'd join in the mass chaos.
SaneAmongInsane said:
This is all part of my larger question of, just when is it ethical for one to rebel against their own government?
It is always ethical for one to rebel against their own government. Government is only their as long as the governed consent it. So, it's not only your right to overthrow a government to which you don't consent, but your responsibility to.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'd be pretty stunned. It's OK, though, the government will have it back in place immediately.

If the next set of laws didn't reinstate it, I'd turn off the TV, go eat lunch, then turn it back on to watch the latest update on the president's spectacularly violent and sudden assassination.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
Charli said:
Not American. Am women, I'd be getting out my knives.

Those saying 'lol don't care I'm not x'

...Just Wow. Empathy. You fail at it.
Yeah, even for an Escapist thread dealing with women, this has been a painfully unrefreshing three pages. I'm just going to keep pretending to think that people actually would care and do what they could to protest such a thing happening, but that the hypothetical question is just too silly to take into serious consideration.

Mmm I truly hope this is the case. It is an absurd concept. Absolutely but some scary people with power truly believe this is the way things should be. When people stop caring, these people get a hold of even more power than they should be allowed.

But I'm letting it get away from the point. It's a hypothetical situation. I would be less than happy and I'd be helping my American Lady friends as much as possible

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
omicron1 said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
omicron1 said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
omicron1 said:
Nobody in American politics or America in general wants to see suffrage - of any sort - reversed.
Umm then why are the Republicans trying to fuck people over with Voter ID laws?
Also, what about the RNC worker Nathan Sproul who keep doing voter fraud in favour of the Republicans?
Voter ID laws are not about vote suppression. When we have a sitting congressman's son (and voting manager) caught ON VIDEO participating in voter fraud, something's wrong. (Not to mention that this line of argument basically consists of accusing an entire political party of implicit racism/sexism - which I and many others consider rather offensive)
For your second point, kindly consider that these voter ID laws will cause problems for cheats in both parties. Unless you're convinced that Nathan Sproul has some sort of magic escape clause, making it harder to commit fraud will hurt him as much as it hurts Jim Moran.
1. He isn't in jail
2. He's still doing it.

Do I think the Republican party is racist and sexist? Yeeeeeees. What with their "legitimate rape" bullshit and "Blacks were better as slaves" yes I think they're racist and sexist.

The voter laws are primarily affecting the poor, the elderly and minorities.
Now I don't know the elderly, but the majority of the poor and minorities are going to be voting for Obama.

Also this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o32tF-S6K60
The former of your quotes was one person's stupid comment. The latter I've never heard before; I can only assume it was plucked straight from the Onion.
Now let's address the backbone of this argument: cherry-picking quotes and trying to claim they are representative is, to put it bluntly, fallacious. I could just as easily say that because some nuts on Twitter want to assassinate Romney if he becomes president, this is indicative of the liberal party in general!

And back to voter ID. Your claim here is roughly equivalent and diametrically opposed to this one: The majority of voter fraud happens in democrat strongholds, and favors democrats. Therefore, democrats are in favor of voter fraud.
Or perhaps it's similar to this: Unemployment (and increases in unemployment) disproportionately affect minorities. Therefore, anyone who increases unemployment is doing so to hurt minority workers.

Point being, You assume evil intent where none exists.

Richard Mourdock said pregnancies from rape are something god intended.
Mitt Romney endorses him for Senate.
Mitt Romney is the representative of the Republican party and he is endorsing this.
Not to mention all the republican states trying to give visitation rights to rapists...

John Hubbard is a Republican state representative. He states that if it weren't for slavery then African Americans wouldn't have gotten to America and that they were "saved" from sub-par conditions in Africa.

^^Hmm so these come from republican REPRESENTATIVES. What do you think now?^^

Individual Voter fraud is extremely rare. In one state it was compared to shark attack statistics and shark attacks were more likely to happen than voter fraud.

Voter ID Laws seek to stop people from voting. Paul Weyrich, one of the founding fathers of the conservative movement. He himself says he doesn't want people to vote. Voter ID Laws help this belief along.

But hey you're right. The rich republicans really do care people. They really do want a fair and balanced country

But hey you're right. The rich republicans and corporations trying to get tax cuts for themselves and more deregulation isn't evil at all. All their intentions are good. It's big government with all that healthcare that helps the poor and needy that's the real evil.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
American women? Eh, they will make a big hulabalu about it and it might actually be an issue.
Where I come from? Wouldn't hold up in our courts or systems. Even if by some weird technicality it did, once the problem was found it would be plugged or ignored. Women would still have their right to vote.

Ambient

Nov 19, 2009
Be reeeeaally happy I live in Denmark and then wonder what other laws they'd make to beat down women.
Forced insemination? Throw a woman in prison and have her flogged for having an accidental miscarriage?
Make a law that says women can't have jobs? Make laws that say women must have 5 children and must be killed when their husbands die?
Have women reclassified as 'Cattle'?

And groan as my tumblr dash get's flooded with 'America you monster!'-posts.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm going to ignore the hypothetical scenario and just focus on this:
SaneAmongInsane said:
This is all part of my larger question of, just when is it ethical for one to rebel against their own government?
To answer that question I would say when the government starts doing something amoral or unethical, like slaughtering people by the thousands or stripping people of their rights and interning them in death camps, that sort of thing. It is not ethical to rebel against your government just because you personally feel disgruntled. The thing one has to consider is that a rebellion is probably going to cause a lot of damage and a lot of people are going to get hurt, looking at the riots in London as an example, and that was just a riot, not a open rebellion; so one has to consider if the gain is going to be worth the cost. Is what the government doing so terrible that it's worth that kind of sacrifice.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
I'd read that in the news and thing to myself "well, this almost seems fitting what with the direction the US has been going lately, well, their fault they haven't risen up against their horribly corrupt government back when they still had the chance to succeed..." cuz honestly, y'all should've revolted years ago, the system you have going on, benefits nobody but those in power and those at the top of corporate business, it's a broken system...

But hey, who am I to say anything, I'm just an observant Canadian, live how you wanna live.
How's Quebec treating ya?[/OhSnap!]
What about Quebec? Are you thinking of the idiot separatist movement? The students who've been protesting the raising of the tuition fees(which in said province are the lowest in all of canada by a large margin), or are you maybe just refering to the seat of our government...

And if so, what of it? Our country isn't floundering in a sinking hole of debt and poverty, unlike quite a few countries I could name, worst of which right now seems to be greece(I'd hate to live there).

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
DoomyMcDoom said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
I'd read that in the news and thing to myself "well, this almost seems fitting what with the direction the US has been going lately, well, their fault they haven't risen up against their horribly corrupt government back when they still had the chance to succeed..." cuz honestly, y'all should've revolted years ago, the system you have going on, benefits nobody but those in power and those at the top of corporate business, it's a broken system...

But hey, who am I to say anything, I'm just an observant Canadian, live how you wanna live.
What about Quebec? Are you thinking of the idiot separatist movement? The students who've been protesting the raising of the tuition fees(which in said province are the lowest in all of canada by a large margin), or are you maybe just refering to the seat of our government...

And if so, what of it? Our country isn't floundering in a sinking hole of debt and poverty, unlike quite a few countries I could name, worst of which right now seems to be greece(I'd hate to live there).
Separatist.

Also, we stole Wayne Gretzky from you. He retired on an American Team.

Admittedly, I'm just trying to get your goat. Keep that in mind. :p

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I'm going to ignore the hypothetical scenario and just focus on this:
SaneAmongInsane said:
To answer that question I would say when the government starts doing something amoral or unethical, like slaughtering people by the thousands or stripping people of their rights and interning them in death camps, that sort of thing. It is not ethical to rebel against your government just because you personally feel disgruntled. The thing one has to consider is that a rebellion is probably going to cause a lot of damage and a lot of people are going to get hurt, looking at the riots in London as an example, and that was just a riot, not a open rebellion; so one has to consider if the gain is going to be worth the cost. Is what the government doing so terrible that it's worth that kind of sacrifice.
This is what has been weighing on me. A lot of people are unhappy with the American Government, so why haven't we rebelled?

This response seems logical. It's not bad enough yet to really bring us to the level of "I don't care if I live or die or not, we have to change this." ...Also there lies the question once the government is overthrown, what could it be replaced with? I can't imagine any system better than the current united states government, just with a few tweaks. Doesn't seem worth people's lives to do that.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I would wonder how stupid people had to be to let it happen then continue with my life. I might make some american friends if they jump ship to Australia.

And as for the rebelling against the government. I figure you can do it whenever the government makes a decision that that would put you or others in unfair circumstances. Or failing to make a decision that would stop such a thing from happening.
Also as a side note I think protesting is stupid. Sure, do something about it legally, make some news channel spin a story about it but don't go out with signs. It makes people look idiotic, it does more harm then good and people end up seeing you as the bad guys.

Sadly the captcha seems to disagree with me and believes we need to have 'More Cowbell'. Well, that settles it. Grab the signs, megaphones and cowbells.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Depends, if there's ever a moment where I can really see us fighting a fight that matters and standing a chance to win but for a few bodies... You can bet I'd be wherever it took doing whatever it took to ensure that this blatant class warfare came to an end.

That said I'm not going to try stopping tanks in any square.

Mind you, no disrespect for those protestors, in fact the opposite, I'm saying they're better men than I, as I refuse to fight a losing battle just to be a 'martyr'.

Problem is I don't think, at least here in America, if the people fought the government, and the soldiers were up for it, that we would stand even the slightest of chances. I mean they've been stacking the deck for at least three decades now, and really probably much longer.

I hate that I have to talk about the theoretical power of my own government as though it's some sort of Lovecraftian god that I fear so much I dare not even think of bringing conflict to it.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
DoomyMcDoom said:

Separatist.

Also, we stole Wayne Gretzky from you. He retired on an American Team.

Admittedly, I'm just trying to get your goat. Keep that in mind. :p
Yeah, even most separatists realize that now is not the time, if ever to separate from Canada, which is why the movement has been less agressive lately, who knows in the future though.
I figured you were trying to get my goat, I decided it might be fun to play along, I mean if you could find enough fire to light more than a candle, then it might've been kinda fun, however there really isn't much bad one can say about Canada, hell most of the stuff other people use, you didn't (Most likely because you know it's overused, cliche as hell, and mostly stupid sounding, or just plain wrong). :D

Capcha: "maple syrup", yes capcha, we make some damn fine maple syrup here in Canada.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I immediately wonder how long its going to take for congress to call an energy meeting to renew the 19th amendment, then I watch people make snide comments about it on the internet.