You Won't Need a Monster PC to Take Back the Streets of New Bordeaux in Mafia III

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You Won't Need a Monster PC to Take Back the Streets of New Bordeaux in Mafia III

2K has announced just how much PC power you will need to dive into Mafia III.

Mafia III is less than a month away, and that means that we're trying to make sure that our PCs are ready to run the game. Today, 2K announced the system requirements for the upcoming open-world game, and they're actually pretty reasonable. You won't need a GTX 1080 or a monster CPU to clean up the streets of New Bordeaux, despite the game looking pretty decent so far. If you haven't seen much of the game, you can find a couple of trailers here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168176-Mafia-3-Gamescom-Trailer-Shows-Off-the-Heist-that-Changed-Lincoln-Clays-Life].

2K also released an image that looks like a page taken from a magazine of the late 1960s and early 1970s, the time period the game is set in. It urges you to "Own the roads of New Bordeaux" with your PC. Here's the pic, and you can check out the full list of requirements below.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1348/1348789.jpg

Minimum Requirements

CPU: I5-2500K or AMD FX-8120
RAM: 6GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 660 or Radeon HD7870
Video Memory: 2GB
HDD: 50GB (free space)

Recommended Requirements

CPU: I7-3770 or AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz
RAM: 8 GB AMD
GPU: GeForce GTX 780 or GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon R9 290X
Video Memory: 4GB
HDD: 50GB (free space)

Mafia III is launching for PS4, Xbox One, and PC on October 7. You can see the Collector's Edition here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167581-Mafia-3-Collectors-Edition-Detailed-Mafia-2-Re-released-on-Steam-at-80-Off]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I was reasonably excited for this until I saw some gameplay on Youtube... *shudder*

I could be wrong though, and I hope I am. I think I'll probably just wait for a sale on Mafia 2 though.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Cowabungaa said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
I was reasonably excited for this until I saw some gameplay on Youtube... *shudder*
What do you think is wrong with it?
Well, based on the footage I saw it doesn't look like a very well put together game. It has that incredibly awkward movement from early 3D GTA games and people just collapse on the ground if you brush them slightly. The AI is also dumb as bricks- either ignoring the fact that you violently knifed someone in the face repeatedly or stopping what they are doing to patiently wait for your animation to finish on their friend and their turn to die. Also, it has a version of the Arkham games' detective vision, allowing you to see through walls and track enemies in the area. That feature has no business being in this game at all. Obviously you can simply not use it but it just looked completely ridiculous and turned me off. The animation is sub-par, and the whole experience looks really average-disappointing. Just looks very indicative of a typical Ubi style open world AAA game. Timing based crowbar mini-game and all.

Now obviously I haven't played the game myself but I had a very strong reaction to what I've seen. Enough to make me strike this game from my list completely.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/09/09/mafia-3-take-down-handsome-harry-full-mission

Anyway, this is just my opinion from the limited material I've seen. As with any other game, I would much prefer to be wrong and have it be awesome and fun. If it is I'll gladly slap down the cash for it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JUMBO PALACE said:
Oh. Oh my God. Oh that's rough.

While I like some of the animation work, first time I've seen an action game protagonist who actually looks tensed up during action scenes, everything else is pretty much a wreck. The camera looks awkward, that woman at the beginning hilariously slumping to the ground, the sound design is atrocious (those knife stabs holy shit), the design of that minigame looking so amateurish, that ridiculous Adam Jensen-O-Vision the character phoning someone without a phone?? The list does indeed go on.

Man, there goes my excitement. I didn't even know there was proper gameplay until now. This ain't what I wanted. A double shame too because despite its lack of content Mafia 2 is one of the most satisfying third person shooters I've ever played in terms of combat. But 3 looks to be anything but that. Man that's some wonky shit right there.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Cowabungaa said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Oh. Oh my God. Oh that's rough.

While I like some of the animation work, first time I've seen an action game protagonist who actually looks tensed up during action scenes, everything else is pretty much a wreck. The camera looks awkward, that woman at the beginning hilariously slumping to the ground, the sound design is atrocious (those knife stabs holy shit), the design of that minigame looking so amateurish, that ridiculous Adam Jensen-O-Vision the character phoning someone without a phone?? The list does indeed go on.

Man, there goes my excitement. I didn't even know there was proper gameplay until now. This ain't what I wanted. A double shame too because despite its lack of content Mafia 2 is one of the most satisfying third person shooters I've ever played in terms of combat. But 3 looks to be anything but that. Man that's some wonky shit right there.
It really is a shame. The premise and setting of the game are really cool. I don't have a problem with the fact that you're not playing as an Italian mobster like some people do. I'm at once both satisfied that you saw all the same things I did and bummed that I had to be the one to crush your hopes.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Gotta agree with pretty much everything here, the IGN footage was pre-release and worrying enough. But like most gamers I know do now I wait for reviews of the final copy before I buy anything... This is why I didn't get stung by that No Man's sky fiasco, or the aliens marines fiasco, or Evolves .....

Always remember, never Pre-order!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Those requirements are surprisingly high, given how poorly the gameplay footage looks. And the concerns expressed above is also shared by me, by all accounts this does not look to be turning out good. Sad, one of the few games ive been actually looking foward to.