You'll Have to Wait Till January 12 For More Nintendo Switch Info

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You'll Have to Wait Till January 12 For More Nintendo Switch Info

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357165.jpg
Nintendo wasn't kidding when it said it wasn't releasing any more Switch info this year...

Earlier this month, Nintendo a report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168662-Nintendo-Switch-Revealed#&gid=gallery_6577&pid=1] shortly after suggested that despite only being October, we wouldn't hear any more significant Switch info this year. Nintendo has seemingly confirmed that report by announcing its next big Switch event: January 12, 2017.

"Learn more about Nintendo's new home gaming system at the Nintendo Switch Presentation, streamed LIVE on Jan. 12," wrote Nintendo of America [https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/791455799302246400].

Furthermore, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima announced during a financial presentation in Tokyo today that the event will include the launch date and pricing for Nintendo Switch, as well as a look at the lineup of games currently in development.

The Switch event will take place at the Tokyo Big Sight - one of Tokyo's largest convention centers, and will allow both the press and the public to get their hands on the new console.

As the Switch is slated for a March, 2017 release, this only really gives Nintendo 2 months to hype up the console. We'll have to see how that strategy plays out.

Source: Gematsu [http://gematsu.com/2016/10/nintendo-switch-release-date-price-games-lineup-announced-january-12]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
And there goes the public interest in the Switch.

I don't know, maybe they're onto something by withholding info this close to release. Maybe it will keep people in enough suspense and interested enough to give them that launch day boost. I just have a feeling that keeping your lips sealed on it for so long will just have it completely fade from public knowledge after the buzz generated by a fairly good reveal trailer.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Ah, what the hay? I've been waiting this long for any info on the Switch (which we only got like a week ago). I can wait 3 more months. I really really really hope it's worth it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That's a lot sooner than what I thought we might have to wait and it sounds like this is going to be a pretty massive event: more than just a Nintendo Direct, maybe even more than a trade show. Based on the reveal trailer, I'm really excited for the Nintendo Switch and I've absolutely jumped on the speculation trains when it comes to the Mario Kart and Super Mario clips that were shown off and going so far as to check into the list of partners to see what games could be appearing on the Switch. I'm glad I don't have to wait until February for this info or even late January!

VirOath

Jan 16, 2009
ShakerSilver said:

I don't know, maybe they're onto something by withholding info this close to release. Maybe it will keep people in enough suspense and interested enough to give them that launch day boost. I just have a feeling that keeping your lips sealed on it for so long will just have it completely fade from public knowledge after the buzz generated by a fairly good reveal trailer.
I can see a few reasons why withholding information on the Nintendo Switch could be a good business move by Nintendo.

First being that the Mini-NES is Nintendo's single champion in this years Holiday Sales Royal Rumble. Withholding information about the Switch across the board until next year prevents it's marketing from drowning the marketing campaign for the Mini-NES. In addition if the Switch does have strong VC capabilities then that news or information could seriously hurt sales of the Mini-NES and by extension hurt their quarterly report involving the Christmas season, which would make investors more nervous than they are now. Barraging with information on the Switch now would hurt the sales of products they are releasing in the mean time and does Nintendo little benefit with the sales of a product that is not coming out for another six months.

Second being that Nintendo is showing strong signs that they learned from the massive mistakes from the Wii-U launch and are actively pushing the strong corrective measures they attempted later in the lifecycle of the Wii-U to drum up console sales. Being that an actively driven lineup with strong branded releases that are dripfed support and updates months after release creates a strong foundation for a games library. If Nintendo slams home with several strong titles at launch and releases atleast one more major release every month then not only will they be capitalizing on what is normally the AAA Gaming Drought but they will also be generating a good selection for the creation of holiday bundles for 2017. All speculation mind you, but from a business side they could be following that road map.

Third, the period after Christmas is generally devoid of advertising. Few companies are wanting to buy ad time from advertisers, so advertisers has a smaller stockroll of ads to provide or generate revenue off of. This Ad Drought means that advertising prices for that time frame could be negotiated to a lower price. So an aggressive advertising blitz after New Years could cost significantly less than attempting to do so before Christmas. Meaning I would expect that after the Switch Event you will find the ad space jam packed with Switch content until mid Spring.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ShakerSilver said:

My guess would be to give the most widespread public information near release. Remember the majority of the video game player base is the general public. Most of which will learn about the Switch when they see commercials for it on TV. In other words the majority of potential sales haven't even heard about the Switch yet.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The main issue will be trying to capture purchasing interest during the spring. I would have perhaps thought that Nintendo would lean closer to a summer release, but I suppose that like Pokemon selling in November for the upcoming holidays, they're just coming in a bit ahead of time in March to set the stage for the real heavy hitting releases during the summer (probably Splatoon 2).

As for the hype train...so far it seems like the other two hats in the ring did not benefit that much from the prior generation's approach to pushing units on the merits of advertised graphical capability that was never fully realized at launch, and the only reason why Sony didn't look as bad was because they held back details of similar planned features for the PS4 that were publicly bombing with Xbone. They may have sold units from those white lies, but they have to keep insisting that there's reasons to put up with everything they're doing, what with the massive downloads that don't really use the game disc anymore, hardware forking, and overall lack of a wider range of exclusive titles that would make them stand out, all contributing to a weakening of the console market's position in the modern world. On the other hand, after all of the previous failures, Nintendo appears to be more willing to figure out what the consumer and the publisher is looking for this time around instead of trying to make up a scenario with unrealistic expectations, and perhaps they just might find it, if they can keep everything held together long enough. At the very least, they've always tried to approach the issue from a standpoint of providing a gaming option unique from other markets, and even though it doesn't always work out, they're determined to keep trying.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Wait. Games in development? Shirley you mean launch games... Hopefully more than a dozen games that will be the only ones available for the first 2 years of the systems life.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Since they've previously stated that we won't have any news from them until after new years', I actually consider this good news. 12 days into the new year is not that long.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
So come mid January I get the info I want.
Then I wait about a week or two and look what people write about it. So that people smarter than me can tell me about its specs and how good the console actually is. Then to decide if this is a launchday buy or not...
Nintendo released the WiiU about a year earlier than the PS4/XOne, wonder when those two will release their next consoles.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Is this supposed to be "suspenseful" to refuse talking about the thing that gets released 2 months later?
Because it's not working and mostly irritating.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Oh no, whatever will we do? /S

I suppose we will just have to rely on the honour system Nintendo uses to keep it's secrets secret, and not listen to the steady stream of thus far confirmed leaks.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Nintendo's marketing strategy:

1. Allow pure speculation to run rampant for a year.
2. Put together a big press conference
3. Release disappointing commercial for product
4. Watch stock prices fall
5. Do nothing to break public opinion free fall

GENIUS!

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Baresark said:
Nintendo's marketing strategy:

1. Allow pure speculation to run rampant for a year.
2. Put together a big press conference
3. Release disappointing commercial for product
4. Watch stock prices fall
5. Do nothing to break public opinion free fall

GENIUS!
You forgot to add:

6. ???
7. PROFIT!

Seriously thought, in my opinion they shot themselves in the foot showing Skyrim off in their little commercial.

So the thing has enough power to run a 5 year old game? And otherwise the graphics look a little more impressive then the Wii-U?

Heres the problem: Sony and Microsoft are only kept in the race since they have comparable specs, wich makes it easy to develope games for their plattforms AND PC at the same time, saving developers alot of time and money.

Nintendo however allways wants its cake and eat it too. They allways want their silly unpractical gimmicks forced into games. They allways pick the weaker hardware even thought sony and microsofts "power houses" are allready struggling to keep up.

This thing will go the same way that the Wii and Wii-u have gone because of that: Some strong Nintendo games... some old game ports like Skyrim... and otherwise shovelware because the big publishers (and everyone else who can get their shit together) loose interest because of how weak the console is.

No one can tell me that a mere tablet has the hardware power of a Playstation 4 or Xbox one.

And then theres the issue of Nintendo relying on SD cards, a blatant anti pirating measure wich only makes nintendo look like the pampered kid again. (though honestly its most likely so they wouldnt have to fit a DvD drive somehow on their tablet)

Nintendo has spend the last 2 console generations burning bridges with 3rd party developers and the only guys that have held onto them are capcom with their monster hunter franchise, most likely because nintendo gavethem a huge paycheck to keep them from releasing their flagship title on other consoles.

Havin a console that needs assembly, has lots of movable and more importantly plasticy (very breakable) parts attached to it. that relies on SD card technology and has the power of a tablet worth 300 $ (remember they say theire not producing at a loss) does not speak well for its hardware capabilities.

Especially since the Tablet part of the console seems to be the ACTUAL console, and the docking station being just a big piece of plastic. (Unless theres a harddrive hidden in there wich means you wont be able to play all your games on the go... wich defeats the purpose of having a portable console... but thats just pure speculation on my part since nintendo refuses to speak about the damn things specs)

All in all Nintendo should get rid of whomever is responsible for their marketing strategies. I know that there are alot of nintendo fans... however i wonder how many of those are actually nintendo game fans.. and how many are nintendo console fans?