"Young Han Solo" Movie to Start Filming Next January

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
"Young Han Solo" Movie to Start Filming Next January

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/905/905025.jpg
Everything is on track for the stand-alone Han Solo movie.

As part of Disney's plan to Rogue One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161489-New-Star-Wars-Movie-Every-Year-Says-Disney] will hit theaters this December, while the second, an untitled "Young Han Solo" movie is due for release in 2018. It looks like everything is on track for the Han Solo flick, as writer Lawrence Kasdan has confirmed that filming for the movie will start next January.

The standalone movie, which will star Hail, Caesar! actor Alden Ehrenreich as Solo, will reportedly be an origin story, telling us the tale of how Han met Chewie, and how the pair got their start in the smuggling business.

Kasdan also spoke a little bit about Episode VIII and Episode IX, which he'll be working on. Kasdan, who wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, said he has been very hands-on and involved with the new films, and that director Rian Johnson is a friend.

As well as the Han Solo movie, a stand alone Boba Fett movie is also in the works - no doubt to release between Episode IX and whatever Star Wars movie they have planned after that.

Source: Star Wars News Net [http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/05/han-solo-spinoff-movie-starts-filming-in-january-2017-lawrence-kasdan-talks-star-wars-and-more.html]

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Fuck you Disney! What next..."It's a Trap! The adventures of young Ackbar"?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I'm fine with more Star Wars films in between the new trilogy - Rogue One looks particularly interesting.

But 'Young Han Solo'? It undermines something that made Star Wars so special; you were jumping into this universe where character's had been established, where 'history' had happened well before we entered the story. It made the universe feel textured, lived in. Show us how 'Han met Chewie' (something I couldn't give a single flying fuck about, and was never even moderately curious about), and suddenly A New Hope loses some of its mystery and texture.

...so yay, good job everyone: chip away at arguably one of Lucas's defining masterstrokes with the series/world, just to see origin stories, just to keep profits turning over.

I think seeing Kenobi after RotS would be interesting, but that's a character who's already been demystified with the awful prequels, and I think a lot of people would agree McGregor - especially during the last one - was one of the few actors who came out of that mess with any charm and dignity left up on screen. The scripts were risible, but he did pretty well with 'em.

But 'young Solo'? Ugh... I mean, what next? A Blade Runner prequel or sequel? Hah! What a silly idea...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ugh, of COURSE there's going to be a Boba Fett movie. Freaking Mandaboos...I only hope his ultimate fate remains as Sarlaac chow in the Disney continuity.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Star Wars needs to drop the "everybody and everything is connected" schtick. Seeing the same handful of faces over and over makes the setting feel more like it's taking place in a suburban neighborhood than a galaxy home to thousands, if not millions of populated worlds. It's part of the reason why I liked season 1 of Star Wars Rebels more than season 2. Aside from the occasional cameo, it focused almost exclusively on an entirely new cast of characters on a planet we had never seen before.

While the return of some Clone Wars characters in season 2 was initially pretty nifty, their presence more often than not feels tacked-on, like the staff are trying to sneak in an unofficial continuation of the show. Look, it sucked that Clone Wars got cancelled, but you gotta let go and move on at this point (though I'm loving all the Legends name drops and call-outs).

Besides, anyone who wants to know about Solo's earlier adventures need look no further than The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley. They may be "Legends" now and they weren't exactly the most well-written books, but damned if they weren't some of the most fun Star Wars novels I've had the pleasure of reading. They also introduced a terrific antagonist in the form of the Corporate Sector Authority that went on to be criminally under-utilized by the rest of the Legends EU.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
As with any other movie, I'm waiting to see a trailer to make any judgements. This could be terrible, but it could also be great. And considering what we've been getting from Disney the last few years, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Samtemdo8 said:
Is Chris Pratt going to be cast as Young Han Solo?
Alden Ehenreich, or something like that. Some dude I've never heard of with really weird jawbones.

OT: Meh. I like Han, but why would anyone want a movie full of him? He's had (probably) the most screentime in the Star Wars movies, besides the droids of course.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I look forward to the inevitable "Han solo goes through puberty and discovers the wonders of masterbation" movie. Surely it will come since apparently we have to know every hour of every day of the history of any character.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Not really on board here...

So. Cool.

Great.

Another glitzy Star Wars film to be moderately disappointed by.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, the Disney series will have it's Episode I after all.

This is one of those movies that just shouldn't be made, it's like making a Young Jaws or a young Ellen Ripley, or a young Darth Vader or a young Bobba Fett for that matter, since they turned out so well.

Oh well, Rogue 1 at least is looking to be ok.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I am all for new Star Wars movies... but I kinda would rather they be about anyone but Solos and Skywalkers... Can we just have a movie about random people in the SW universe doing... anything? smuggling or just exploring... hell Ill take a rom\com tat this point... just dont make me watch a Boba Fett movie (but the bounty hunters game was dope... make a new one of those)

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Hmmm? Are you sure it's not going to be a Bria Tharen... sorry Briy Eharent, movie featuring a young Han Solo?

I can't keep track of this mess any more. Is Nar Shaddaa in D-Canon or not? Is Han even Correlian any more or did they make him Alderanian at the same time they switched over the Correllian Corvette? F***ing hot mess.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Kasdan also spoke a little bit about Episode VIII and Episode IX, which he'll be working on. Kasdan, who wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, said he has been very hands-on and involved with the new films, and that director Rian Johnson is a friend.
Anyone a tad worried by this bit? People tend to let their friends slide bullshit past all the time what one would never allow from a proper coworker. As an example, look at how many games journalists give slack to developers they know as 'well that's just a reality of development' for things they'd take anyone else to task over.

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
Quellist said:
Lol, I probably didn't pick the best example did I?
No you did not, as I now would give almost anything to see that movie now.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ukomba said:
I can't keep track of this mess any more. Is Nar Shaddaa in D-Canon or not? Is Han even Correlian any more or did they make him Alderanian at the same time they switched over the Correllian Corvette? F***ing hot mess.
*Checks Wookieepedia*

Apparently Nar Shaddaa is part of the new canon, and it's still a haven for various criminal elements and Hutt syndicates. And yes, Han Solo still hails from Corellia. Since Disney is dedicated to making one, unified canon instead of various levels of it like the old system, they pretty much have no choice but to follow these templates.

Ugh, don't remind me about the "Alderaan Cruiser." I'm not one of those Legends fanatics that bashes everything post-buyout, but that particular decision rubbed me the wrong way. Just because the Organas used one for their missions doesn't automatically make the design the property of their homeworld, especially if it wasn't actually built there. It's amusing to read the opener on Wookieepedia for it, as they throw out all kinds of names for it in a desperate retcon attempt; "Oh, that's just a nickname! It's still a Corellian Corvette...or a CR90...or a 'blockade runner...' buy our books!"

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Ukomba said:
*Checks Wookieepedia*

Apparently Nar Shaddaa is part of the new canon, and it's still a haven for various criminal elements and Hutt syndicates. And yes, Han Solo still hails from Corellia. Since Disney is dedicated to making one, unified canon instead of various levels of it like the old system, they pretty much have no choice but to follow these templates.

Ugh, don't remind me about the "Alderaan Cruiser." I'm not one of those Legends fanatics that bashes everything post-buyout, but that particular decision rubbed me the wrong way. Just because the Organas used one for their missions doesn't automatically make the design the property of their homeworld, especially if it wasn't actually built there. It's amusing to read the opener on Wookieepedia for it, as they throw out all kinds of names for it in a desperate retcon attempt; "Oh, that's just a nickname! It's still a Corellian Corvette...or a CR90...or a 'blockade runner...' buy our books!"
It's depressing that Disney is putting Star Wars: Aftermath on the same level as Empire Strikes Back.

FYI, different levels didn't mean it wasn't unified before. That's spin Disney uses to smear the EU.

Disney Has different levels too despite their claims that "all future Star Wars stories will be connected and on equal canon level as the films". Or are they claiming he LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures Animated Series they're producing is totally legit canon? How about Battlefront, is that Canon? lol, no.

Then there's the massive grey area that is SWTOR. It's not currently non-canon, it doesn't fall under legends, it's not Disney canon... They actually made things more complicated and created a Bioware level Canon.