Young Ra's Al Ghul Cast in Dark Knight Rises

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Woodsey said:
(Batman Begins is probably my least favourite, if only because it was finding a place between comic-Batman and realist-Batman).
See, that's why I prefer Begins to The Dark Knight. I enjoyed the comic-book Batman and Gotham a lot more than the realistic and gritty versions of Nolan's second film.

OT: I'm not sure what to think about this. If anything, I hope they bring Liam Neeson back.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Eh, if they want they can layer two-three more villains in it. But better making sure this will be an 8-hour epic *g*.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JUMBO PALACE said:
Woodsey said:
(Batman Begins is probably my least favourite, if only because it was finding a place between comic-Batman and realist-Batman).
See, that's why I prefer Begins to The Dark Knight. I enjoyed the comic-book Batman and Gotham a lot more than the realistic and gritty versions of Nolan's second film.
Meh, the difference isn't really that big, but you can see that he's straddling the line more in the first film. I think the major difference comes with the Narrows, which I don't think they show in TDK since they're completely destroyed almost.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I really wish character casting news shouldn't be in headlines. It's going to be like the Dark Knight, where many of the movie's twists were put into headlines.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Too many villians my arse.
Catwoman's alter ego is confirmed. That's not the same as "She'll be in it as Catwoman/A VILLAIN".
Ok, Bane's pretty obivous: Main bad guy.
Ra's is in flashbacks, Talia is only rumoured, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the 'holiday killer' isn't even a confirmed villain yet. I read somewhere that his character even kills mob guys. You know, MOB. As in, enemies of Batman. Meaning, the Holiday Killer may even be helping Bats.

All I'm saying is, give it a chance guys. Don't give up all hope yet.
I've got great faith in this movie, and I'll only lose a part of that if we get 3 or more confirmed main villains. By that I mean villains that take up a good chunk of the film, like Joker did. If they're like Scarecrow, or Two-face, I think 3 could just fit in.

TwitchBlues

Nov 29, 2009
Not at all bothered by this. The main reason being that 1.) I have a strong feeling that many of these "leaks" about casting are deliberate misinformation. And 2.) this is supposed to be the final film establishing the character of Batman. So far, we have a very limited view of what comics Batman's universe/Gotham looks like. Its only fitting to have the a wider picture of the Rogue's Gallery to give us perspective about why a city like Gotham would need a constant hero in Batman.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
People are going crazy over the amount of villains in this Movie and I agree it could be shit but Christopher Nolan managed to give us Dark knight which was even better than batman begins which is very impressive considering most sequels are really crap so I'm still hopeful that he'll pull it off.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Too many villains? Look guys, Dark Knight had three, and not just the small-fry throwaway type. No, you had Joker, Scarecrow, and Two-Face. And how did that turn out? Besides, the Spiderman3 argument assumes that the movie was bad because of the number of villains (3, like in Dark Knight), and not because of shit like this:
I'll spare you the even worse dance scene...

Jul 9, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
Too many villains? Look guys, Dark Knight had three, and not just the small-fry throwaway type. No, you had Joker, Scarecrow, and Two-Face. And how did that turn out? Besides, the Spiderman3 argument assumes that the movie was bad because of the number of villains (3, like in Dark Knight), and not because of shit like this:
I'll spare you the even worse dance scene...
Yuck. Definitely a point, but you can't just ignore the problem too many villains caused. It felt like 2 different movies had been mashed together.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Sooooo, is Dark Knight Rises trying to be like the Arkham Asylum game?

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
The fact that the last movie lost its focus between Two Face and the Joker was bad enough, and that was only two villains. Now they're going with four? They must be yanking our chain, because if Nolan thinks this is a good idea, he's officially gone batshit.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
My first thought was, "Young Ra's al Ghul? Lazarus Pit, duhhhhhh" Haha

Not sure how they're gonna frame him into flashbacks, though. It's the only way that would really work in the setting of Nolan's timeline. Plus we have Gordon-Levitt playing Alberto Falcone from The Long Halloween and Carmine Falcone hinted at secretly knowing who he was really working for through Scarecrow, so I guess it's possible that the Falcone family had more contact with the League of Shadows in the past.

What I was never really clear on in Batman Begins was if Ra's al Ghul was Liam Neeson's character the whole time or if Ken Watanabe was actually Ra's as it seemed and Neeson "became" Ra's after his death- kind of fits into the classic DC comics sense that Ra's al Ghul is immortal so to speak.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i have to say this doesn't really change the fact that I'll be seeing it anyways.
But i do hope this doesn't make the movie worse.
Also, the funny thing is, i wouldn't know any of the other villains, Ra's included, if i hadn't played Batman Arkham Asylum. That game really made me interested in all the Batman stuff, and taught me a lot about them.

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
The way i saw it, at the end of TDK, organised crime in Gotham had been almost wiped out, and all the "masks" had been captured or killed. So Batman doesnt need to do much crime fighting and could just not bother, since he is being "hunted" by the police. There would have to be a damn good reason why he would go back at the caped crusading caper, And a organised group of super villans does make sense

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
No point in holding out hope Liam Neeson returns for the role, as this is the last Nolan Batman flick and anything after will just be another reboot.
Something tells me the Hollywood Reporter is blowing smoke out of their butt.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Flashbacks, glimpses, namedrops, sure is setting up to be something awkward. Or wonderful. But probably a little awkward.

kman123 said:
Seriously...I have a bad feeling about this. I smell a Spiderman 3 on the horizon...and we all know how bad that was.

Seriously, it seems Nolan is just cramming as much shit as he can in order to leave his final mark in his trilogy. Which is what Raimi did.

JESUS LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF THE PAST!
Hey, Don't blame Raimi for the studio's decisions. Sony pushed Venom, Raimi wanted an entirely different set.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Shit, Christopher hasn't made a bad movie in a while... so hes earned some faith from his fans, I think.
I just looked through Christopher Nolan's IMDB page and apart from Insomnia which I haven't seen, he has never made a bad feature length film.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
sure I have faith in Nolan but...

I think I'll just be avoiding any news about the third film...the moment I heard about the casting for Catwoman I just sorta nearly lost all faith