Young Ra's Al Ghul Cast in Dark Knight Rises

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Young Ra's Al Ghul Cast in Dark Knight Rises

A new villain has been confirmed for Dark Knight Rises, though he was already featured in Batman Begins.

Christopher Nolan's upcoming Dark Knight Rises has already added Batman Begins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107081-Anne-Hathaway-Will-Play-Selina-Kyle-in-The-Dark-Knight-Rises].

The Hollywood Reporter writes that Social Network [http://www.amazon.com/Social-Network-Two-Disc-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B0034G4P7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302362114&sr=8-2] co-star Josh Pence will play a "young" Ra's Al Ghul in Rises. Unconfirmed sources say that he'll appear in flashback scenes from 30 years prior to the events of the film.

In the Batman comic books, Ra's Al Ghul is one of Batman's greatest foes as an international terrorist able to constantly rejuvenate his life in pools called the Lazarus Pits. His daughter, Talia Al Ghul, is often introduced as a love interest for Bruce Wayne. Pence's role furthers rumors that Marion Cotillard, confirmed for an unknown role in Rises, will be playing Talia Al Ghul.

In Batman Begins, Ra's Al Ghul (played by Liam Neeson) is the head of the League of Shadows, an organization dedicated to protecting the world through any means necessary (even mass killing). He's believed dead from the events in Batman Begins, but when a guy like Ra's Al Ghul is "believed dead" you know he's got to be alive. Whether or not a young Al Ghul in Rises confirms the return of the older Al Ghul is unsure.

Dark Knight Rises is planned for release in 2012.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/social-network-actor-lands-role-176577]

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I'll echo what was going around the GameFAQs boards in this case:

"Another villain? This is going to end up being another <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.268654-2-50-Reviews-Spider-Man-3-2007>Spider-Man 3!"

Although I don't really believe that. The movie will be good, just not <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.259957-2-50-Reviews-The-Dark-Knight-2008>Dark Knight good. Another other casting announcements will not change that prediction.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Bassman_2 said:
Bane, Catwoman, Holiday Killer, and Ra's Al Ghul

I can't take this seriously.
and a rumored Talia makes 5!

Seriously, this is a new record, isn't it?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Christ, this film is getting big. Still, Nolan has yet to make a film I can pick any real faults in (Batman Begins is probably my least favourite, if only because it was finding a place between comic-Batman and realist-Batman).

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Jamiemitsu said:
I'm thinking successor, maybe?
Naw. Ra's is pretty hard to kill, his silly fountain of youth keeps him going for years. One of my favourite Batman villains really but sadly his portrayal in Batman Begins was not as good, hell even the brief appearance in Under the Red Hood was so much better. Maybe new actor will squeeze more out of the character...

Sill, that's a loads of villains for one script and i'm not sure i like it. I prefer when it's more focused on batsie vs specific villain rather than spreading the attention thin between, now, 4 of them.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
FungiGamer said:
Bassman_2 said:

and a rumored Talia makes 5!

Seriously, this is a new record, isn't it?
Not only the fact that villains are being piled on, but they all seemed so mismatched - even when it was just Catwoman and Bane.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
o....kay? How would this come into play? At this point I think this film is going to be about three hours long!

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Bassman_2 said:

Don't forget Scarecrow is still around.

Also: as much as I love Liam Neeson, there is no way in hell his character is still alive. If Ra's comes back in his old self, the excuse better pretty damn amazing. I mean, we all saw Batman Begins and know how it ends.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
The Rascal King said:
Bassman_2 said:

Also: as much as I love Liam Neeson, there is no way in hell his character is still alive. If Ra's comes back in his old self, the excuse better pretty damn amazing. I mean, we all saw Batman Begins and know how it ends.

Didja read the actual post? This is a new actor, playing a young Ra's, in flashbacks

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
WrongSprite said:
The Rascal King said:
Bassman_2 said:

Didja read the actual post? This is a new actor, playing a young Ra's, in flashbacks
Yes I did good sir. I probably should have added more detail in my post. What I meant is if Ra's comes back in the present time that DKR takes place in, it would be pretty ridiculous, given Christopher Nolan's realistic approach on the franchise. It seems to me that the Ra's flashback will serve as a plot device to bring back Liam Neeson's character.

Edit: I feel it in mah bones

cjb909

Oct 23, 2009
The Rascal King said:
Yes I did good sir. I probably should have added more detail in my post. What I meant is if Ra's comes back in the present time that DKR takes place in, it would be pretty ridiculous, given Christopher Nolan's realistic approach on the franchise. It seems to me that the Ra's flashback will serve as a plot device to bring back Liam Neeson's character.

I think that the flash back will serve as a plot device to bring in Talia.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
If Bane is a villain, we must keep in mind that Bane's tactics in the comics were to unleash the inhabitants of Arkham Asylum upon Batman all at once to wear him down and leave him vulnerable for when Bane himself went after him.

So if Bane is indeed a villain, that could explain the large villain cast they're throwing at us this movie.

Jul 9, 2008
kman123 said:
Seriously...I have a bad feeling about this. I smell a Spiderman 3 on the horizon...and we all know how bad that was.

Seriously, it seems Nolan is just cramming as much shit as he can in order to leave his final mark in his trilogy. Which is what Raimi did.

JESUS LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF THE PAST!
Not quite what happened in Spiderman 3. Raimi was forced to put in Venom, and he was not intending to end the series there, even though that is what ended up happening. Point taken, however.
cjb909 said:
The Rascal King said:

I think that the flash back will serve as a plot device to bring in Talia.
That's my read into this as well.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
also, people keep forgetting that Catwoman has never really been a Batman "villain". so please, for the love of God, stop counting Selina Kyle toward that "villain limit". she's going to be distraction and potential love interest, just like always.