Your bad gaming habits

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
So, fellow escapists, what are some bad habits you exhibit during gaming (inside the game and/ or activity outside of it). One that I'm guilty of is my obsessive need to combat loot during battle. I can't help myself in games like Borderlands 2 or Dragons Dogma when I see shiny loot on the ground.

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Mr. Perfectionist here. I can quit a savegame I spent HOURS on if some tiny thing goes not like I planned. And if everything goes as planned it's ofcourse just fun for so long, because you're winning.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Unless a game has savepoints or auto-saves, I don't save. Pretty much ever. I remember once there was a blackout and I lost 7 hours of my game. I don't think I've touched that game since out of sheer disappointment.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I am a compulsive reloadeder, i cant stand seeing my hud show that i have like any number of bullets besides max

Mugen

Dec 14, 2011
This is going to sound fucking crazy, because it is.....i love the start of video games.

I restart games constantly. currently playing xcom (classic, ironman) and if i lose a soldier i am particularly fond of i will just start again from scratch. i need help.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I horde everything even remotely useful and never use them even when I?m struggling. I?m always thinking ? uhh no, I can do this without a potion/medkit/boost/whatever. I should save them unless I need them later" even though I have ridicules amounts of them and it is a difficult fight.

Also games tend to make me an obsessive perfectionist. Though I?m getting better at not doing this, mostly because I don?t have the time anymore. For example:

If it?s an RPG, a game with choice or hidden things I always want to start over mid way through the game because of things I?m not 100% happy with or missed even if it?s irrelevant to the rest of the game or not necessary. Hell I many even do his because of completely irrelevant dialogue choices.

If an NPC?s (even an unnamed one or units that are meant to be disposable) death can be prevented and I don?t have a reason to want them to die I will make sure they don?t. I fought the first dragon multiple times in Skyrim just to prevent the death of some guards.

I redo sections of stealth games if an enemy becomes alerted even if they didn?t see me.

If I?m feeling particularly obsessive I?ll do reload Single player shooters if I miss a shot or get hit. (This also ties in to hording with bullets)

Everthing must be perfect! Imperfection shall be PURGED in FLAMES!

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Once I get into a grove while playing a game, especially RPGs I usually get impatient and stop reading everything and not searching everything as much. I usually end up missing a lot of stuff and I curse myself every time.

Captcha: have courage. Why is captcha almost always relevant?

Bombchucker

Oct 2, 2012
I must search everywhere in a level for secrets or hidden upgrades. I don't know why but I just hate missing stuff

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Yep, compulsive reloading. Damn you Tediore! Also S&S/Bandit weapons with massive clips and long reload times really annoy me.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Not a bad habit, really, but I could be more helpful and more annoying if I actually use the mic. I'll say little criticisms or potential corrections out loud during multiplayer games (primarily TF2), but don't actually talk in chat. Credit to the team, I am not. A pretty nice Medic anyway, I like to think I am.

I also point out little newbie moves and obviously predictable things that the opponent does in fighting games. I'm not actually telling them anything. I just voice it for no good reason.

MrBlackDX

Oct 15, 2012
Responding to others;

Compulsive reloading. My favourite instance being Firearms (mod for HL) where they have the magasine system (as opposed to the pool of bullets system), BUT, you can amalgamate your magasines into more full (for example go from 29, 28, 29, 7 to 30, 30, 30, 3), that's a re-loaders wet dream!

Hoarding powerful disposable items throughout an RPG, and maybe using them at the end (elixirs, powerful grenades, shurikens) that kind of thing.

Taking my sweet time on an RTS (every RTS going), last instance was Z: Origins (Z from Win95 RTS) on Android where I would rush getting the flags, and then camp while building up a massive force to take the fort (which easily a smaller force could have achieved).

My own;

Being too nice. This is like the "anti-being a git bad guy", but basically, on an RPG, even if its completely obvious that the nice option is stupid OR I'm being scammed, I will do it anyway (KOTOR games where given a hobo 2000 credits equals those coveted 2 light side points, when I'm already at 100% lightside...)

Quick Save/Quick Load. Always having to 100% win at an RPG minigame (pazaak), always having to do that Max Payne dive perfectly, annoyed at HL when a headcrab took my health down from perfect 100/100.

Starting a game when I know I actually want to play a different game... I did this for Mass Effect 1 when I wanted to play Fallout 3, and then didn't return to Mass Effect for a LONG time. Got 50% the way through GTAIV, because I wanted to play Bioshock.

Replaying old games when I have a new game I should really complete. "Oh I'm 75% the way through borderlands, let me check out this Mechwarrior Online trailer... looks ok... not as good as MechWarrior 4, hmmm I should really play MechWarrior 4". A joystick and 10 hours later and I've completely forgot about borderlands...

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Compulsive reloading. Though having actual magazines or tediore weapons fixes that as it would be wasting ammo and/or dangerous.

Save scumming. I rotate my saves and overwrite different slots. Then I make two saves whenever I end a game session. JUST IN CASE ONE GETS CORRUPTED.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I hoard ammunition like I'm saving for the zombie apocalypse.

Multiple guns will get ignored unless the game forces me to use them, simply because I'm terrified of encountering the theoretical future boss/encounter that I will need every bullet, bomb, rocket & power cell to survive.

Also, I will delete half my base in an RTS if the buildings aren't aligned correctly according to whatever pattern I'm building them in. RTS games that have free-form building placement are torture to me.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
MammothBlade said:
Save scumming. I rotate my saves and overwrite different slots. Then I make two saves whenever I end a game session. JUST IN CASE ONE GETS CORRUPTED.
This is a good habit, if more people did this there wouldn't be so much wailing and gnashing of teeth on forums.

As for mine; I would say compulsive reloading and being OCD about little things such as rounded numbers (eg; if my health was chipped from 90 to 89 I'll have to reload from my last save or checkpoint, etc.) - if something drastic happens it won't matter as much as that's life (although I might prefer 11hp to 10 as it's nicely symmetrical in the font used)!

Maybe I'm a wee bit mental sometimes.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
For adventure games, I really really need to click on everything to hear every bit of dialogue. I don't like leaving quests out in RPGs either.

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
I don't have that many, but gaming does tend to make me chew my nails more than usual. It's something I do a lot anyway, but intense gameplay can really set it off.

Also, I do restart games a lot. It took me about 8 restarts of Skyrim before I figured out what kind of playstyle I liked the most, and then I could continue the game further than Bleak Falls Barrow. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was even worse.

I wouldn't call it a bad habit, but I do have the habit of being very, very bad in games. I killed and skinned a family in D&D once. It was hilarious.

MrBlackDX

Oct 15, 2012
WalrusPowers said:
Also, I do restart games a lot. It took me about 8 restarts of Skyrim before I figured out what kind of playstyle I liked the most, and then I could continue the game further than Bleak Falls Barrow. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was even worse.

I wouldn't call it a bad habit, but I do have the habit of being very, very bad in games. I killed and skinned a family in D&D once. It was hilarious.
Yeah, restarting RPGs because you "believe" you're first attempt wasn't good enough is a bad habit as well. You start playing somewhat blindly, and after playing and realising how to effectively play the game, you think "oh I could have killed that extra enemy back there" or "I wish I never used all my mana potions at the beginning of the game".

The funny thing is when its so trivial, you probably could have completed the game on your first attempt but you choose to restart anyway.