Your best friend tells you they killed someone

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
I don't care why they did it, I would help them. I'm shocked at how many people would happily sell out their "best friend".
Let me ask you this, what kind of friend would do something so monumentally stupid, and then try to drag you down with him/her?

And there's nothing happy about it, merely what is necessary.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I'd say "Well, let's go hide that body then! Want to do the next murder together?" Then we'd laugh and merrily skip off to hide the body.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'd do what I can to help them.

I've known my friends for nearly 30 years there aint a chance in hell i'd turn my back on any of them. They were with me when we were kids, as we grew up and we were in the army together. We've been through a hell of a lot.

I have no usual comedy answer for this.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Heronblade said:
Let me ask you this, what kind of friend would do something so monumentally stupid, and then try to drag you down with him?

And there's nothing happy about it, merely what is necessary.
fapper plain said:
I'm surprised how many people claim to be perfectly okay with murder.

Or course, this is internet discussion and not reality, so I doubt that the people who are comfortable with the idea in the abstract would be as eager to assist if such a situation occurred in their lives.
While I agree it is stupid and terrible, and I in no way condone murder, I'm not going to take some imaginary moral high ground and sell out my best friend.

I buy shit I don't need all the time. I buy coffee and sweets and other stuff which, if I abstained from them and at the end of the year donated all that money to charity, I could probably save the lives of hundreds of people in poor nations who can't afford food or medicine. I am effectively killing people because I am able to create a disconnect in my mind between buying daily coffees and children dying in Nigeria. I genuinely cannot see the difference between actively killing someone in cold blood and passively killing someone through apathy.

Furthermore, who would I turn my friend in to? The state? The same state that supported a war which resulted in the death of 500 000 civilians in the middle east, and which sends refugees either to detention centres indefinitely, or back to their war-torn countries because they "jumped queue" by risking their lives on a boat. People are dying preventable deaths daily because we, collectively and individually, don't give enough of a shit to stop it. It happens all the time.

So would I turn in one of the two people I actually care about if they killed a person? No.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Since I don't hang around with murderers, the bastard probably deserved it,
but it's still murder and I would at least try to convince me friend to turn them-self in.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
This is one of the easiest moral dilemmas I've encountered.

How would I react and what would I do?

I'd react correctly and do the right thing. The specifics are not necessary.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'd ask for more information, but in person, not over the phone.

Also, it would depend a great deal on just how good a friend my best friend was. I mean, are we talking 'person I get along with and with whom I share drinks on a regular basis' ("You're on your own, don't call me again, good luck") or 'person with whom I grew up and who once saved me from a pack of rabid wombats' ("I'll be over shortly with a hatchet and some garbage bags. Keep calm and go find a mop.")

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Jamash said:
This is one of the easiest moral dilemmas I've encountered.

How would I react and what would I do?

I'd react correctly and do the right thing. The specifics are not necessary.
I too would do the right thing, and in the end, my friend and I would all the better for it
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

fapper plain said:
Wow...okay.

That was surprisingly creepy, even for the internet.

'Not only am I okay with murder, I'll even go the extra yard and rationalize it rather badly.'

At least this is necessary information. :/
You realize you didn't actually quote Manic-Depressive right?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
fapper plain said:
Wow...okay.

That was surprisingly creepy, even for the internet.

'Not only am I okay with murder, I'll even go the extra yard and rationalize it rather badly.'

At least this is necessary information. :/
How is "I would be willing to make a moral concession for a friend because ultimately horrible, preventable things happen all the time and my friend's actions would merely be a drop in the well" equivalent to "I am okay with murder"? Also, care to address why it was a bad rationalisation? I thought it was a rather good rationalisation.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Ha! I wish I can meet up to talked to my mate privately in person! My best friend lived miles away that it take a 2 hours trainride to meet up face to face.
I know the feel, bro. Except try 2300 miles. I wouldn't mind a 2 hour train ride so much compared to that.

Chances are, we're already in it together, so of course I'm going to help him. Remember, the coin toss is sacred.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I too would just merely give advice about what to morally do and to not ask for any details. I wouldn't want any part of whatever crime they have committed.

I would simply not ask them anything and I won't rat them out either. They deserve that much and I trust that they will do the right thing.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I'd only help if we could get away with it. If my "friend" hated this person enough to murder them then his motive was probably known to more than a few people. Then there's how he killed this poor sucker. Did people hear this happen? Could there be any witnesses?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't help my idiot friend with their murder just because there are more than a few ways to screw everyone who gets involved. I won't turn them in but helping them is a big no. Besides, if they were smart they would never have told anyone about their little adventure and take care of it themselves.

It's better not to get involved.

Dinwatr

Jun 26, 2011
manic_depressive13, you're equating not being an altruist with actively murdering someone--a false equivalency. Your other justification basically amounts to a tu quoque fallacy. So neither is a valid justification for not turning your friend in for murder.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Well, without specifics that change the dynamic of the situation (I.E. your friend killed a pedophile that was molesting their children, your friend killed an armed man who was bursting into their home, your friend killed a terrorist who was trying to blow up a stadium) then you're left with "your friend killed someone because they hated their face". Based on that, I would be fairly convinced my friend had completely lost it.

1. I would compel my friend to turn themselves in.
2. If my friend seemed reluctant/remorseless, then I'd KNOW they'd lost it, and I would turn them in. As much to protect them from themselves as to protect others from them. I would communicate to the police that I thought my friend had suffered a psychotic break and didn't know what they were doing.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
It would depend on why, knowing my best friend it would be a good reason. She has two kids so I would keep her secret and comfort her. She would only kill someone if they were a threat to her family, and since they are pretty much my family I would most likely understand why she killed whoever she killed. Hell I would probably kill them too.

May 17, 2010
Depends.

If my friend is part of a revolutionary group and then assinated a dictator, I wouldn't be morallly opposed to it. If the government had a suspicions I knew and was willing to torture and kill my family, then I would tell.

If my friend killed someone because he hated his political views, then I would go to the police. I would hope he would turn himself in first. I would hope I visited him in prison.

So it really does depend.