your biggest upsets and hype causers of the year

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Title says it all, i'll start

Was extremely disappointed by the torchlight 2 devs at pax. I could understand taking on a differant project becuase they lost some key team members, but they said that they stopped making torchlight 3 because "diablo 3 was killing it right now and they didn't want to compete." I'm sure i'm not the only person who disagreed.

Was excited to see new content in a few indie fps games, namely arms of telos, reflex, unreal tournament 4 and mid-air, which had some gameplay at pax.

was excited that a single new piece of video came out on mount and blade 2:bannerlord. I thought we wouldn't get anything new this year on top of what was shown in spring.

Was pretty let down by the doom reveal, however it will have full sdk on launch so i'm crossing my fingers. Been waiting over ten years for this game.

Holding my breath for more gameplay on the next deus ex.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Disappointed so far with Star Fox. Hope the delay will remedy that. Excited massively for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Torchlight devs SHOULDN'T be trying to compete with Diablo. Diablo has its market nicely cornered. They should be innovating.

Was super upset at the XCOM 2 delay.

Was surprised at how completely and thoroughly Witcher 3 demolished Dragon Age 3, I was expecting them to be grappling for CRPG primacy.

Hearing about Star Citizen's issues was both sad-making and utterly unsurprising at the same time.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Nintendo had a great 2014 but so far 2015 for the Wii U has been disappointing...I can understand Legend of Zelda being pushed back but Star Fox Zero was supposed to be Nintendo's big holiday game. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like it'll be great but I'm somewhat worried it'll be difficult to come by. As for past disappointments, we were supposed to get Rock Band Japan however many years ago...I would have rather had that than Rock Band 4 but I realize I'm in the minority when it comes to people who realize just how hard Seikima II, The Gazette and, Detroit Metal City rock out.

When it comes to hype YOKAI WATCH. I've been waiting for that game since it was announced at TGS in 2011 simply because of the concept: It's Pokemon only it features Yokai. Adorable, kid-friendly Yokai. Other than that there's Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden which was the first game I've pre-ordered for myself this decade. It's a fighting game made by the same people who did Guilty Gear and the pre-order comes with a free download of Super Butoden 2. I have to wait about 2 more weeks before I get my copy shipped to me though which is lame but at least I have plenty of remaining plays on the demo. The Devil's Third also looks like fun and I'm primarily hyped for it because unlike Fatal Frame V, it's getting a physical release.

Now there are rumors of Twilight Princess HD...HYPE!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
IGN.com said:
"We?re just burnt out," Runic Games President Marsh Lefler told IGN when asked why the team made Hob instead of Torchlight 3. "Let?s admit it, Diablo 3 is killing it right now. Diablo 3 is a really fun game. Not that Torchlight 2 isn?t a fun game, it is, but it?s just different. For us to try to compete with Diablo 3? We weren?t trying to compete before."

Lefler added that Diablo and Torchlight were different kinds of action RPGs, and that after a decade of making dungeon-crawlers, "we just needed a little break" to focus on "something we love" that?s even more different.
Sounds more like they just want to do something new. Its not that they don't think they can make a good Torchlight game people will love, its just that they don't want to put a lot of effort into something they don't have much enthusiasm for in the first place and which, for better or worse, will be compared to Diablo 3 by everyone. Making the game is an automatic entry into a dick measuring contest.

Personally, while I really did want Torchlight 3 (Love Torchlight 2, can't stand Diablo 3), Hob looks really good, and I'd rather have a brand new game that will have questionable gameplay value made by a team that was really into it, rather then a sequel to a good game the makers really didn't want to make.

As for the topic...

Witcher 3 and the realization of a decade plus old dream in the new Battletech game have drowned out my gaming year, honestly - 2015 was great just because of those two things. The only disappointment I can think of at the moment was Arkham Knight. I waited months for the PC patch before even touching it, only to find that the vehicle controls on keyboard/mouse were so bad that it killed my entire drive to play it. I keep hearing about how everything else is solid gold, but I just can't get over the completely uncontrollable wreck that is the Batmobile. Perhaps after I finish the just released Witcher 3 DLC I'll retry it, but honestly, just the thought of it inspires dread.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
My biggest upset this year was...that I really didn't feel any hype.

As a Wii U owner 2014 was the best gaming year in a long time but Nintendo completely failed to put games out on the Wii U this year. I haven't switched to next gen yet but aside from the Whitcher I also haven't found a reason to do so. So I haven't really bought much games this year.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well I'm hyped for The Last Guardian.
I'm also disappointed Team Ico completely skipped the PS3 :/

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm excited for Fire Emblem Fates.

I'm disappointed Square didn't do Bravely Second at E3.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Still hyped for Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Treyarch still knows how to make the single player fun and memorable. Infinity Ward has completely forgotten that, and the other guys...well, you're off to a good start, but that's it.

Disappointed with Arkham Knight. I played the first two games to death, getting the platinum trophies and all the DLC. But Arkham Knight? I just...don't care. Too much reliance on the Batmobile, a plot that kind of went nowhere with a sad villain, and just...blah. The game felt more like a chore than being Batman, and that's bad.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Mad Max is biggest disappointment of the year for me... just... boring.

Slightly off topic: MGSV was a suprise hit with me as I didn't like previous MGS games.

Back OT: So hyped for Fallout 4 but can't play until 26th Nov as I happened to have a 2 week holiday booked on its release date.
Edit: typos.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
MGS5 was quite a bummer. It's one of those games where you keep playing it for hours and hours for the namesake alone, unaware of the fact that you're really not having much fun at all. The first Metal Gear Solid I ever traded in, and with a series that has MGS4 that's saying a lot.

Batman: Arkham Knight gave me a similar experience. Not terrible, just very dreary.

I'm not really hyped for any titles that are close to release. The new Ratchet and Clank is the earliest one I'm genuinely excited for.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
Biggest hype so far was Cities:Skylines. Followed closely by Isaac: Afterbirth and Fallout 4. At least for Cities, the hype was well deserved, it's all I ever wanted in a city builder. I can't imagine how Afterbirth will not live up to its hype. And Fallout 4... let's see.

Biggest upset probably was MGS5. I'm sick of open world. Open World even destroyed Witcher 3 a little bit for me.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
I don't think I have any upsets this year... well there was the minor upset of learning Dragon Age: Inquisition only got 3 story dlcs :C I want more story, dammit! Give us an actual expansion like Awakening! But I'm not actually all that distressed by it. Still haven't finished Trespasser... I should get on that.

Biggest hype right now is Fallout 4. I love playing 3 and NV, but at the same time I'm SO BORED because I've already done everything multiple times and even playing differently and making different decisions isn't enough to mask that I'm basically doing the same grind for the 10th time. So a fresh Fallout will be amazing!

Also low-key hype for Dishonored 2. I haven't heard much about it. Granted, I haven't heard much about Fallout 4 either, but I intentionally like to know as little as possible about a game before I play it, because then it's a better feeling when I discover shit on my own.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
The announcement of Fallout 4. Oh god the hype that caused in me. It is literally indescribable with words.

Biggest upset? The Witcher 3 looked like shit for the first three days before a patch fixed my graphics bugs. Honestly, I don't get upset much over games.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
MGS V's ending and the story overall. It felt like I was kind of duped by the trailers in what I would see happen to Big Boss as a character, but things deviated in way that I didn't like.

Whereas hype?

Nothing really. At least where games are concerned(really want to see Straight Outta Compton, Macbeth and Crimson Peak), there's literally nothing that I can't counter with "it probably isn't going to be all that good".

I mean, Battlefront is a cut down Battlefield with a Star Wars skin that costs $120 to have unrestricted access to, Fallout 4 fills me with anti-hype due to the fact that Bethesda are in charge of the story, Just Cause 3 looks okay, but in the end it's just more Just Cause 2 so it'd be difficult to fuck up or transcend that...

Indie games though, like Jotun, Banner Saga 2 and Hyper Light Drifter look promising, but I wouldn't say hype-worthy, closer to "ones to watch".

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
OK, I'll divide my upsets and hypes into those that affect me personally and those that may (or may not) affect other gaming fans.

I'll start with the upsets. My biggest personal one is that I don't have a PS4 yet and I can't get myself more powerful PC for gaming specifically. As for general upset... I'll go with the majority (if not all) AAA games that came out this year I care not about.

As for hypes. My personal one is that I am mostly on an old-school wave and boy oh boy AM I enjoying Baldur's Gate II and Final Fantasy IX. As for general, I am pretty damn interested in Street Fighter V.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Got none. Everything I was interested in goes exactly the way I supposed it would. The only parts still unanswered are Legacy of the Void storyline conclusion and how poor semblance of proper RPG Fallout 4 will have.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I'm upset because after 5 years I've been waiting for any sort announcement about a new Metroid game. And after Nintendo's E3 presentation I'm still waiting!

How ever we did get Pillars of Eternity and the Witcher 3 this year, both of which I loved.

The games i currently most hyped for are Fallout 4 and The Banner Saga 2.