Your Favorite Brain Teaser

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
Hey everyone! Post your favorite brain teaser. Also check back and try to answer other people's.
Here's mine:
You are on a journey to the village of truth. You come to a fork in the road with a sign that says village of truth and village of lie but no arrows to designate which way leads to which village. A man stands at the side of the road. He says that you can ask one question of him and from that answer you can try to figure out which way to go. However, you don't know which village the man is from. What do you ask him to get you to the village of truth?
Hmmm... ask him wich way is directly opposite the village of truth. If he's a lier he'd point towards it, and if he's truth then you'll still know wich way ^.^

Mornelithe said:
7 into 3 equals 1
1 into 3 equals 7

What am I?
Wronglols

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
Hey everyone! Post your favorite brain teaser. Also check back and try to answer other people's.
Here's mine:
You are on a journey to the village of truth. You come to a fork in the road with a sign that says village of truth and village of lie but no arrows to designate which way leads to which village. A man stands at the side of the road. He says that you can ask one question of him and from that answer you can try to figure out which way to go. However, you don't know which village the man is from. What do you ask him to get you to the village of truth?
Is this guy the one who stabs people who asks tricky questions?

At any rate an easy one from a book I read:

ST ND RD __

next two letters?

And:

How can you count to over 1000 using just your 10 fingers, without counting any finger twice?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
QuadrAlien said:
sheic99 said:
Steeveeo said:
Your last good ping-pong ball fell down into a narrow metal pipe embedded in concrete one foot deep.
How can you get it out undamaged, if all the tools you have are your tennis paddle, your shoe-laces, and your plastic water bottle, which does not fit into the pipe?
You pee into the hole.
The water bottle presumably was meant to have still contained some water, so there was no need for that.... Tempted as I have been to enter 'URINE' instead of 'WATER' when this puzzle appeared in Professor Layton. :p
To be fair, it was never mentioned that there was water in the bottle. All I had to go on was that there was a bottle there. I originally thought the bottle was meant to be peed in, and then use that to get the urine in the hole easier. But that sound much easier.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Mornelithe said:
7 into 3 equals 1
1 into 3 equals 7

What am I?
... you're working mod 4?

Here's one that's easier than the other one I have going. A woman leaves home one morning and quickly turns right. She jogs for a while, then decides to turn left. After another short distance, she turns left again and picks up speed. After turning left a third time, she heads back home, where she sees two people wearing masks. She is not alarmed in any way. Why not?

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
Julianking93 said:
lilmisspotatoes said:
skystryke said:
lilmisspotatoes said:
Time for his sons to get a job? I have no clue XD

I kind of fail at these, but I have one:

A woman is reading in her house by the sea. She gets tired, turns off all the lights, and goes to bed. The next morning, she opens the paper to read "2000 killed in boat crash." She then immediately jumps out the window and kills herself. Why?
I assume that she lives in the Lighthouse and they were killed because she turned off the light?
Bing bing bing!! Way to go!

Here's a tougher one:

A girl's mother dies, and at the funeral, she meets a nice young man. A week goes by... then the girl stabs her sister to death. Why?

Before you freak out, this is a question I was posed when I was in high school. One answer means you have some dangerous tendencies.
Because that ***** tried to steal her man!!

I'm sorry, I really don't know.

OT, I don't really have any except this extremely easy one:

What can you catch but not throw?
Sickness?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
ZeLunarian said:
Wakikifudge said:
Here's mine:
Hmmm... ask him wich way is directly opposite the village of truth. If he's a lier he'd point towards it, and if he's truth then you'll still know wich way ^.^
That's not the actual answer but that works really well. You get an extra big cookie for figuring out a new answer.

KillerH

Apr 7, 2009
2xDouble said:
KillerH said:
not sure on that one.

Here's mine:
There is a ruler in this kingdom
With the head of a Leper
the middle of a pig
the legs of a buffalo
and the tail of a dragon
who is the king?
did you mean "Leper" or "leopard"? if it was "leopard", the answer might be Lion.
I was copying it down from an old book I have, but leopard makes more sense. Yes the answer is lion.

Here's two new ones

#1.
What object has keys but opens no locks
space but no room
and you can enter, but not go in?

#2.
Imagine you are in a room with no windows or doors. All that's in the room with you is an empty paper cup and some string. How do you get out?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
KillerH said:
I was copying it down from an old book I have, but leopard makes more sense. Yes the answer is lion.

Here's two new ones

#1.
space but no room

#2.
Imagine you are in a room with no windows or doors. All that's in the room with you is an empty paper cup and some string. How do you get out?
1) a keyboard

2) (one answer) tear the cup in half, put the two halves together, and climb out through the "hole".

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
Ahh, I love brain teasers. Here are a few easy ones my dad taught me when I was just 12-13 years old.

You're stuck in a cabin and your compass is going haywire, saying every direction is north. You hear a bear roar outside, what color is it?

(This doesn't work very well in text, but it's fun to say aloud) A pilot fails to turn on autopilot before going to sleep in his chair and the airplane crashes on the US - Canada borders. 200 men and women are killed, but where do they bury the survivors? (And now you know why it's so easy to figure out on paper.)

Jack and Bob are sitting in a room with nothing but fifty-two Bicycles and a knife. Bob, in a fit of frustration, stabs Jack... But why?

KillerH

Apr 7, 2009
2xDouble said:
KillerH said:
#1.
space but no room

#2.
1) a keyboard

2) (one answer) tear the cup in half, put the two halves together, and climb out through the "hole".
1 is right! nice.
That's a good answer for 2. The other answer is to stop imagining.

Here's a few famous ones (please don't just google them)

#1.
There is a boat with a ladder that extends 10 feet off of the side, with steps spaced half a foot apart. The water rises at a rate of 2 feet per hour. How long will it take for the water to reach the top of the ladder?

#2.
I turn polar bears white and will make you cry. I make guy have to sleep and girls comb their hair. I make geniuses look stupid and normal people look like geniuses. I turn pancakes brown and make your cola bubble. If you squeeze me, I'll pop. If you look at me, you'll pop. Can you guess the riddle?

3#.

1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

HINTS

1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
The_Decoy said:
Wakikifudge said:
Here's mine:
Is this guy the one who stabs people who asks tricky questions?

At any rate an easy one from a book I read:

ST ND RD __

next two letters?

And:

How can you count to over 1000 using just your 10 fingers, without counting any finger twice?
ZE?

and:
there's a couple dumb answers... just count to over 1000 without counting your fingers; count by 100's on your fingers;
or use binary code (each finger is a power of 2. 1, 2, 4, 8... 256, 512. summation puts the total at 1023. you don't count each finger individually more than once, technically)

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
SeaCalMaster said:
Here's one that's easier than the other one I have going. A woman leaves home one morning and quickly turns right. She jogs for a while, then decides to turn left. After another short distance, she turns left again and picks up speed. After turning left a third time, she heads back home, where she sees two people wearing masks. She is not alarmed in any way. Why not?
It's Halloween and the people are her children wearing their costumes? Mabey? I've never heard this one before.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Altheus_Necron said:
I present as a counter riddle -
I have two U.S. coins that add up to fifty-five cents. One is not a nickel. What coins are they?
A penny and a 1972 dime with a Roosevelt imperfection.

Give me my cookie!

ThatOneJewYouNo said:
Ahh, I love brain teasers. Here are a few easy ones my dad taught me when I was just 12-13 years old.

You're stuck in a cabin and your compass is going haywire, saying every direction is north. You hear a bear roar outside, what color is it?

(This doesn't work very well in text, but it's fun to say aloud) A pilot fails to turn on autopilot before going to sleep in his chair and the airplane crashes on the US - Canada borders. 200 men and women are killed, but where do they bury the survivors? (And now you know why it's so easy to figure out on paper.)

Jack and Bob are sitting in a room with nothing but fifty-two Bicycles and a knife. Bob, in a fit of frustration, stabs Jack... But why?
1. If you hear a bear roaring at the south pole you've got even more problems than you think...

2. They dont bury survivors. Well, maybe in Kazakhstan...

3. Jack's a ****.

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
Gavmando said:
ThatOneJewYouNo said:

1. If you hear a bear roaring at the south pole you've got even more problems than you think...

3. Jack's a ****.
1. Clever, clever. But you get the idea.

2. Never been to Kazakhstan, so I dunno.

3. He is, but that's not the right answer.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
KillerH said:

#1.
There is a boat with a ladder that extends 10 feet off of the side, with steps spaced half a foot apart. The water rises at a rate of 2 feet per hour. How long will it take for the water to reach the top of the ladder?

#2.
I turn polar bears white and will make you cry. I make guy have to sleep and girls comb their hair. I make geniuses look stupid and normal people look like geniuses. I turn pancakes brown and make your cola bubble. If you squeeze me, I'll pop. If you look at me, you'll pop. Can you guess the riddle?

3#.

3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

HINTS

3. The Dane drinks tea.
1) easy. the water will never reach the top of the ladder. the ladder is in the boat.
2) ...idk, eyes?

3) oo, logic puzzle! those years of playing Sherlock (look it up) will not have been in vain!

The Norwegian lives in a yellow house, owns cats, drinks water, and smokes Dunhill.
The Dane lives in the blue house, owns horses, drinks tea, and smokes Blends.
The Brit lives in the red house, owns birds, drinks milk, and smokes Pall Mall.
The German lives in the green house, owns the fish, drinks coffee, and smokes Prince
The Swede lives in the white house, owns the dog, drinks beer, and smokes Blue Master.

The German owns the fish.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
ThatOneJewYouNo said:
Gavmando said:
ThatOneJewYouNo said:

3. Jack's a ****.
1. Clever, clever. But you get the idea.

2. Never been to Kazakhstan, so I dunno.

3. He is, but that's not the right answer.
It was a jackknife. (ba dum tsh!)

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
ThatOneJewYouNo said:

Jack was beating him at a card game or cheating at it either way

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Scabadus said:
SeaCalMaster said:
It's Halloween and the people are her children wearing their costumes? Mabey? I've never heard this one before.
Nice guess, but it's sadly incorrect. The people wearing masks are both adults, if that helps.

KillerH

Apr 7, 2009
2xDouble said:
KillerH said:

#1.

#2.

3#.

HINTS

3. The Dane drinks tea.
1) easy. the water will never reach the top of the ladder. the ladder is in the boat.
2) ...idk, eyes?

3) oo, logic puzzle! those years of playing Sherlock (look it up) will not have been in vain!

The Norwegian lives in a yellow house, owns cats, drinks water, and smokes Dunhill.
The Dane lives in the blue house, owns horses, drinks tea, and smokes Blends.
The Brit lives in the red house, owns birds, drinks milk, and smokes Pall Mall.
The German lives in the green house, owns the fish, drinks coffee, and smokes Prince
The Swede lives in the white house, owns the dog, drinks beer, and smokes Blue Master.

The German owns the fish.
1)right
3)good job on this one!

2)This was a trick one, it asks if you can guess the riddle. In truth there is no answer, so the answer would be "no" you can't guess it.

Here's another (I'm starting to run out!)

The governor of Kgovjni wants to give a very small dinner party, and invites his father's brother-in-law, his brother's father-in-law, his father-in-law's brother, and his brother-in-law's father. How many people were there?