Your favorite Ensemble Darkhorse.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Hello. You've caught me reminiscing about Asura's Wrath, specifically the character, Yasha. What a cool character. He's a dynamic opposite to Asura himself, but he's got so much going for him. His part in the story was of great awesometude, don't you think? And let's not forget Augus. That guy...I'd love to play as him, without a doubt.

An Ensemble Darkhorse is, for all those not aware, a character who manages to be great on their own, even without being the main character. Who's your favorite Darkhorse?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Wolverine. Yes yes I know it's mainstream, shutupheisawesome.

Also, an ensemble darkhorse is really more a side character who grew unexpectedly popular.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Queen Michael said:
Also, an ensemble darkhorse is really more a side character who grew unexpectedly popular.
Close enough. I really see Wolverine as a main X-Men character, but if he started out in the comics as a side-character (I don't actually know, since my Wolverine experience is from the show in the 90s.), then no problemo.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I'm typically super hipster and am not ususally into ensemble darkhorses, but I can't deny the coolness of Boba Fett.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Easy ... Kato. It will always be Kato in my mind. But it wasn't necessarily designed into the character more a trait of the actor who played him.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Queen Michael said:
Close enough. I really see Wolverine as a main X-Men character, but if he started out in the comics as a side-character (I don't actually know, since my Wolverine experience is from the show in the 90s.), then no problemo.
Origonally just some mysterious antagonistic guy who when making a new diverse X-Men team was added in, and became the breakout star, though most of the team are very popular in their own right (Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus mainly).

Since this got X-Men on my mind, I'm going with Psylocke. Originally just Captain Britain's sister, then sidekick (sorta), she went down the crazy tube to become something vastly different than where she started.

Edit: Couldn't find a better picture, but the woman in this is Psylocke way before she became a purple haired Asian psychic ninja.
https://thecaptainbritainblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/betsy-braddock-attacks-brian2.jpg?w=584

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Antari said:
Easy ... Kato. It will always be Kato in my mind. But it wasn't necessarily designed into the character more a trait of the actor who played him.
Kato as in...Pink Panther?

Saelune said:
Since this got X-Men on my mind, I'm going with Psylocke. Originally just Captain Britain's sister, then sidekick (sorta), she went down the crazy tube to become something vastly different than where she started.
Didn't she steal that body? I heard that somewhere.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Antari said:

Saelune said:
She had her body swapped with a woman named Kwannon by Kwannon's lover who wanted to save her. So they each became sort of the same person, but with Betsy controlling Kwannon's original body, and vice-versa. Eventually they were merged into one person with Betsy being considered the prime person.

This video explains her history, and even I learned a lot I didn't know about my favorite X-Men character. (Its about 15min long)

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
I always thought that the B team members in Naruto were way more interesting than the main cast, especially Shino. He looks cool, uses swarms bugs for combat, yet is super protective about each and every one them and treats them like family. It's a crime that he got such a short amount of screen time (page time?)

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Saelune said:
FalloutJack said:
Queen Michael said:
Origonally just some mysterious antagonistic guy who when making a new diverse X-Men team was added in, and became the breakout star, though most of the team are very popular in their own right (Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus mainly).
Actually, Wolverine was a Hulk villain originally. But it's true he was added to the new X-Men lineup to make it more diverse, since he's Canadian. Fun Fact: In the early days of that new team, Wolverine was the least popular member.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Saelune said:
FalloutJack said:
Queen Michael said:
Actually, Wolverine was a Hulk villain originally. But it's true he was added to the new X-Men lineup to make it more diverse, since he's Canadian. Fun Fact: In the early days of that new team, Wolverine was the least popular member.
Hence mysterious antagonist guy. I knew he started as an opponent to the Hulk. Just wasn't too sure about anything else between that and the second X-Men team.

I feel bad for Thunderbird. For a character who died permanently so early on, I still somehow know who he is and what he looks like immediately.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Saelune said:
Hence mysterious antagonist guy. I knew he started as an opponent to the Hulk. Just wasn't too sure about anything else between that and the second X-Men team.

I feel bad for Thunderbird. For a character who died permanently so early on, I still somehow know who he is and what he looks like immediately.
My mistake. I thought you simply meant that he was antagonistic towards his team members.

bdeamon said:
I always thought that the B team members in Naruto were way more interesting than the main cast, especially Shino. He looks cool, uses swarms bugs for combat, yet is super protective about each and every one them and treats them like family. It's a crime that he got such a short amount of screen time (page time?)
Seconded. What the writers did to him was a greater overlook-crime than anything that Jack Torrance ever did.

(...Look, I tell a lot of jokes. They can't all be top-notch.)
FalloutJack said:
Antari said:
I think he means the Green Hornet's sidekick.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I have a soft spot for marvel's Cable. Something about growing up in the 90s.

Queen Michael said:
Seriously though Claremont hit it out of the gates with that second X-men team that he introduced. Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Colossus in one hit. Sure Sunfire never really stood out and of course Thunderbird was killed. But those 4. Generally considered some of the best marvel characters.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Antari said:

Saelune said:
Kato as in Green Hornet Kato, played by Bruce Lee. Completely stood up the main character. But again it wasn't really by the design of the character itself.