Your favorite free-to-play game

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Hero's Arms

It's really, really good for a flash game. Just a basic Zelda clone, but with a leveling system (which is hilarious once maxed out) and a NG+.

There's a good few hours of entertainment to be had there; I've replayed it quite a few times.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Firefall and Mech Warrior online haven't been mentioned so far. Not a fav by any means but worth checking out if you're in to F2P.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Tribes Ascend

Or it was anyway, I've not played in a while now as I'm working through my obscene back catalogue.

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
GoaThief said:
Tribes Ascend

Or it was anyway, I've not played in a while now as I'm working through my obscene back catalogue.
I got back into it for a few days a couple of weeks ago. I think my biggest problem with it are some of the maps, the terrible awfulness of Permafrost is still there, and half the servers with a decent ping I can get onto focus on the new maps, some are okay, some are baaaaaaaaad. If only I could get one that had Crossfire, Katabatic, Arx Novena, Tartarus and Raindance. The good old maps.

Otherwise the game is very solid, very satisfying to play. I'll never understand people that go into it and play as a sniper or a heavy in the jenny, gotta grab a pathfinder and do some nice flag runs.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Dwarf Fortress (new player here, but it is damn deep and has NO F2P trappings), and TF2, because Valve don't seem to particularly care about money enough to sabotage their game with bullshit (although they do the shitty free crates but have to buy keys, and limited edition items to fill out your backpack, but again, even the restrictions of free players that are in place largely fall away once you upgrade (buy anything), which is another point in its favour).

Generally hate F2P games, especially simple games that clearly exist to milk customers. Symptoms include but are not limited to arbitrary timers that can be reduced or skipped with money, arbitrary effort points that replenish over time and cap at a low amount that can be replenished with money, and ridiculously good value in-game money transactions (or poor value ones). I like freemium games somewhat more, because that's more the mindset "It is free, so if you want a better product a little money isn't unreasonable to ask for" rather than keeping the player in F2P so their price sensitivity is low and milking them with (possibly) deliberately shitty mechanics.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Clive Howlitzer said:
Here you go. The only one true answer. Path of Exile.
http://www.pathofexile.com/
PoE is indeed really good - I really liked Torchlight 2 as it managed to capture the spirit of Diablo 2 that hooked me in, PoE also did it but from a different aspect. I'd say that roughly TL2 was close mechanics-wise, PoE was close atmosphere-wise.

And recently I started playing Dota 2. It's OK - if you've played DotA, it's certainly worth picking up, even replacing it, I guess. I played LoL and didn't like the community, so I dropped it, otherwise as a game, it's pretty similar, I can't say which is better.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Tribal Wars. It's only a flash based MMO but it's helluva fun. Mostly because of the people you meet. You have to build your village and take others. It's very tactical.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
SweetShark said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Here you go. The only one true answer. Path of Exile.
http://www.pathofexile.com/
This also for me.
For those they seaking a good "answer" to Diablo 2 but to be also with it own way unique, this is the perfect game.
Very Ironic by saying this, but I hoped Diablo 3 to be like this. Diablo 3 if a fun game, but it is not like Path of Exile.....

Saddly [or gladly] this is the only F2P MMO I ever played. So the other suggestion are just free games:

My first selection is...................Corruption of Champions [NSFW].
I don't know why, but I really like the way "gameplay" work.
If there was a game like this without the "adult" elements, I would buy it full price!!!!

The other games I really like and you can also play for free, check my lists I created in Listal.
Most of the games are free to play. And they are AWESOME!!!!

http://www.listal.com/list/awesome-unknown-videogames-you-must
http://www.listal.com/list/awesome-unknown-videogames-you-must-sweetshark

Enjoy ^^
It's probably a bad sign I've played Corruption of Champions.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Off the top of my head, I'll say WoT and League. Both do f2p well and are enjoyable.as long as you don't put too much faith in your allies, anyway.

Xzavion

Jun 22, 2013
Hmm I find several very amusing, can really say I find one to be alot better than the others, it's more about the mood what I'm going to play.

Vindictus
Tribes Ascend
Planetside 2 (restricted to when I'm going to play with some friends, solo I definitely prefer Tribes)
League of Legends (Dota 2 is good too, but I'm more comfortable with LoL, also because I have my progress there already)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Realm of the Mad God, it's just so nice to play an MMO thing so well designed. It's like a MMO RPG shmup and every now and then you have moments where a special event is triggered 80 ish PCs are all standing on the same couple of squares all firing bullets so quickly that there's just a wall of death in front of them. And these boss mooks dive at the crowd and you see the whole swarm of people flinch back and then form back into the place when the man goes down. And since healing and buff spells effect everyone in range, you can tap heal and see 50 people get their health restored. Or you can activate the fire faster buff and suddenly watch the swarm of projectiles in front of you double. And you get XP for every monster that dies on the screen so you can level up like 5 levels in the one event. (And reach the lvl 20 cap). It's got some important F2P purchases, but if you just want to play casually there's nothing really pressing you to get them at all. It has permadeath but it only takes you an hour or two to hit the level cap and you have an instant in-combat teleport to a safe zone button so it always feels like deaths are preventable. And if it happens you've only lost like an hours worth of stuff. It's fun to just play the game and try to get all the classes to the level cap.

As far as flash games go, I'll second In the Company of Myself, Loved and Epic Battle Fantasy 3/4. All very fun and the first two have some seriously clever narrative storytelling ideas

Blue_screen

Aug 28, 2009
War Thunder, it is a WW2 and Korea war MMO aerial combat with planes from Germany, Japan, USA and UK air forces. Currently in open beta, the Devs are planning to add tank warfare and naval warfare which is pretty neat.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Likely Planetside 2. I don't know I just find it fun, mostly playing a sniper I can't play any other class for shit.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
World of tanks is the only one I've sunk a considerable amount of time into, but realm of the mad god is pretty fun too.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
War Thunder, its basicly Birds of Steel in a Free 2 Play format, and what is cool about it is that you dont need to spend money to get good planes, you take a bit to evolve at the start but usually there is always someone with a plane of similar category so you will have a chance to kill those guys. Not long after you start to get some really good planes depending on the faction you choose.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
WHat. nobody's mentioned Warframe [https://warframe.com/] yet? I'm disappointed.

A third-person co-operative objective-based shooter, with space ninjas!

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know, I've always been partial to tic-tac-toe. All you need is something to write on, and something to write with...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Maximum Bert said:
Er dont play many as I have generally been disappointed in them but Katawa Shoujo would be the best if that counts if not then Path of Exile I found decent for a free game.
Katawa Shoujo indeed. You just made me very happy to know that someone out there is fucking awesome.

Path of Exile is good as well.

I'll throw Hawken into the mix.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Also have to throw my hat in with other here in pimping PoE(Path of Exiles).

The game is amazing. They really did put blizzard to shame making a game with a low budget and about a half dozen people that stomps Diablo 3. It is like an updated Diablo 2 mixed with a skill system from Final Fantasy.

Also have to acknowledge the recently released Marvel Heroes, i was in closed beta for it and its a fun free game as well. And also Vindictus which i also did closed beta for.